Not sure where to put this

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cinconinos

Just curious if anyone here deals with depression as well as heart issues? I was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder about 10+ years ago. I'm five and a half weeks post surgery and really getting low again. I'm not sure if I should just try to suck out up or if it's something I should seek treatment for. A lot of it is my g frustration and my healing being so slow. I would love to hear from someone else has been through this or feeling with it. Thanks

In a briefing before AVR surgery at my hospital, we were told that depression after major surgery is very common. I'm afraid I can't help directly because fortunately I didn't suffer this way, and it may be that as you are close to the typical time for physical recovery it will pass soon, but if it continues I would get help. I wish you well.

I too had went through depression. I'm just getting over it. My surgery was last April. Very common to have after surgery I was told. I didn't have any depression before surgery, I didn't think I did.
Well anyhow it's not any fun. I have a Saint for a wife and a good Priest that helped me through it.

Hi Cinconinos - I had major depression very many years ago as a teenager and in my 20's - I mean major, hospital etc. After AVR (nearly forty years later) I was okay but I have to say that what with various issues, mainly to do with things not going right in hospital, I do feel I have got an element of post tramuatic stress disorder. My AVR was nearly two years ago so that's a long time to still be feeling issues. Last week my GP referred me to a psychologist for PTSD, but honestly, just the ackowledgement from the doctor that this kind of thing happens has been a relief and I'm not sure I'm going to see the psychologist - I feel stronger for having talked about it. Do speak to your GP if you feel depression or stress is getting overwhelming. All the best.

As a therapist, I would never advise anyone to "suck it up" under any circumstances. I strongly recommend touching base with your therapist and/or doctor. Major Depression and Major Heart Surgery are a lot to ask of a human being. Don't suffer......see your mental health team just like you'd see your heart team, for every and any concern. Wishing you all the best.

Thank you all for your kind words. I have contacted my therapist and have an appointment to talk things out. I'm hoping we can kick this episode to the curb before it gets to bad. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back