Not lungs...sternum crackle?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle D

I went to the pulmonary doctor today because I though I was having a pleural effusion again. When I lie down and take a deep breath or yawn I feel a crackling feeling in my chest. He said my lungs sound perfect and my heart is nice and prominent thus probably no fluid. I go for an ultrasound and xray on Monday. But maybe it is my sternum making that noise, the pulmonary dude said it could be. Has anyone else experienced this? Everything feels fine besides the nerves coming back, no fevers, the sternum feels pretty solid, no popping.

I felt some heaviness in my chest after my surgery and had some SOBs and fatigue. When lungs showed clear and heart's echo was fine, my surgeon said I was just having some anxiety which is normal after such a surgery that we tend to be scared about every symptom we may feel.

:)

I've heard it before with my stethoscope. I wasn't having it when I was at the doctors office. I've had anxiety and panic attacks since I was a little kid and it's not anxiety in my chest. Just crackling in the sternum area when I take a deep breath

His thinking makes sense, Michelle. It's been almost 5 years since mine, but I honestly think I know what you are talking about. I kinda remember that!! I think I ended up deciding that it was the nerve endings talking to each other; trying to work their way back together. The tissue can be kind of crunchy, and I'm sure the stretching during breathing might send that sensation through your innards to your ears.

I bought a stethoscope, too!! But I've been to too many rock'n'roll concerts, I guess, because I really couldn't hear enough through it to get any satisfaction!! So I just gave up and tried to let my recovery just be what it was going to be.

Marguerite

It does this until the bone heals over the sternum where it is broken. Most take 6 weeks for bone to heal but can be longer if you are diabetic or use your arms too much too soon. It's bone rubbing on bone. My husband has it. He had OHS on 9-14-10.. I here lots of people describe this after OHS.

My doctors said it can take up to six months and for some people it never heals properly. I'm okay with it being my sternum and I have my fingers crossed that they don't find fluid in my x-ray or echo next week.

I think it's just your body still healing and probably nothing bad. I remember after my surgery I was worried about anything and everything that didn't seem "normal". Everyone reminded me to give it time! And I did, and now I am just perfect! It's hard to look past every noise or ache but you will be fine :)

Latest posts

Back