Not Home Yet

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

linda janicki

Ed thought he would be going home today (day5), but he is SOB when he walks. Apparently, breathing has to be about "93" unaided and when he walks it goes to "88" and so he is back on the oxygen. The deep breathing exercises are painful. Maybe, they have to up his pain killers? He doesn't want that because it makes him "dopier" than he normally is. We are hoping for tomorrow to go home, but I also don't want to rush it.

Lin

I'm sorry that Ed isn't able to go home, but if he's only 88% saturated he needs to get it up before you leave there. Being at home is more difficult than being in the hospital, and he might really have trouble with breathing.

I've not heard anyone mention it before, but I loved being on the O2. It made me feel so much better. (No kidding! :))

If he's having pain breathing, then he may be water logged. Are they checking him for fluid retention? If that isn't the cause, they may need to send him home with oxygen for a while.

Good Insights!

Good Insights!

Thanks for the insight. Thanks Ross I'll ask about that

Lin

I too had pain when taking deep breaths for two different reasons.

At first, there was fluid between one lung which had not fully inflated and my chest wall. Deep Breathing exercises every 2 hours for 10 minutes helped to push out the fluid.

A few weeks later, it was discovered that the lining of my chest wall was inflamed (probably from a chest tube) and I was put on an anti-inflamitory drug for a week to help it heal (YES, while on Coumadin). It worked and fortunately there were no bleeding problems.

'AL Capshaw'

I did not care for the pain pills and resisted taking them. In hindsight, my breathing would have been more efficient, (subconsciously I was afraid it would hurt), had I taken the pill, and the respiratory therapist would have been much happier.

Speedy recovery.

Michaelena

I also wound up with pleural effusion making deep breathing painful. When I was released they ordered oxygen for me. I kept it for a week until my sats went up enough. Pain medication might help with the deep breathing. Hope they discover his trouble & get him on the road to recovery.

Cris

Mary said:
I'm sorry that Ed isn't able to go home, but if he's only 88% saturated he needs to get it up before you leave there. Being at home is more difficult than being in the hospital, and he might really have trouble with breathing.

I've not heard anyone mention it before, but I loved being on the O2. It made me feel so much better. (No kidding! :))

A little off subject but I laughed the other day when I saw an "oxygen bar" at the mall. What will they think of next? :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back