Not Good Cardio Report

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You are one tough cookie, Glenda. I'm sorry that your reports are not better; and that they are probably quite troubling to you. In my mind, you are like Jack Lalanne, who was so optimistic at age 95 about the successful outcome of his recent heart valve surgery that he apparently said "that dying would wreck his image". ;):)

Please go on forever! We all need and love you, too! :D

Marguerite

I think I might be looking for a more postive Doctor! I can't imagine mine telling me something like that, after five years I don't think your body would be rejecting your valve. I am not a doctor, but for him to say something like that is ridiculous to me. We most likely all get one of those symptoms from time to time! Many prayers for you Glenda! I know I had a high stress job before all of my surgery and I had to let it go because I can't take stress like I use to! But I know very little about tissue valves! Good Luck to you! God Bless!

Hmmm...that's weird ... I posted a reply in this thread when I visited earlier this evening, but I don't see it now. Not sure what happened, but trying this again....

---

Glenda,

I'm sorry about the report from your Cardio appointment. Thoughts/prayers coming your way in earnest, of course....

Cort | 36swm.IL | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"Is it stormy where you are?" ... Billie Myers ... 'Kiss The Rain'

Ohhhh Dear Glenda,

You & I seem to be riding in the same boat. I was suppose to have my old mechanical mitral valve swapped out in 2007 but I too could not see myself going through yet one more OHS! And, my old surgeon agreed with me & actually said that I should go home & wait for the signs. Afterall he said, having been through what I've been through in the past, there's no way that I could mistake the signs of CHF! :eek: And so I wait......

I pray that you too will not have to face another surgery any time soon but when that time comes dear lady, you will know it & you know what you have to do.

Please do take better care of yourself however, & don't take anything for granted. And if the work you do now becomes too much, then step away.....nothing is worth sacrificing your life for!

Norma, that's basically what he told me to do. Keep on, keeping on, but to be more aware of the symptoms. I have a very high tolerance to pain so I need to be more alert to some of the aches and pains that I have espcially around the chest area. He did kinda of scare me, but I think he meant to because he knows me very well and he doesn't want me to overlook a pain that might be giving me problems. He knows I am a survivor and he also knows my reglious convictions and how strong my faith is in times like these. I have always put myself in God's hands, that's the only reason I am still alive today. He's just not ready for me yet. He's still got work for me to do here. I am looking for a less stressful job, but they are hard to come by, espeically in the medical field. Oh well, God put me where I'm out now, so with His help, if it's meant to be, I'll find just the right job. When my daughter can get on her feet and we can quit supporting her and her family, it will help, but right now keeping up two households is very hard with me not working.

Amen sister.....I'm totally with you in every sense of the word!

My surgeon, who is now in his mid-80's & in my humble opinion, the greatest surgeon that ever lived, knows too that I cannot mistake the signs so he's leaving it up to me to make that final decision.

His last words to me in May of this year when I went to him for a check up in Houston were, "if I were a cardiologist that was looking at your reports for the first time, based on the numbers alone, I would recommend surgery right away, but, I have to look at the whole picture." "And the whole picture is, you are looking well, you have no significant symptoms of CHF at the moment, so why do I want to put you in more jeopardy by subjecting you to yet another (my 4th OHS) at this point & time?"

I told him that God & I are working together on this one & when the good Lord says it's time, well then, I'll pack my bags & go. But until then my friend, I'm doing what you're doing, going on with the Lord's guidance! :)

Well, we kind of knew that a pediatric sized valve was going to be a problem for the long term. But you've actually carried it well for a pretty good run.

You've lost a lot of weight, and that's a difficult and wonderful thing, and is surely helping with the valve situation. Hopefully, you can hold off for a while longer.

I think a problem is your cardio's use of the term "rejected," which isn't the process that's going on when a valve goes bad (except for human (homograft) valves). It's a poor description, likely intended to make it easier to explain (like saying blood thinner in place of anticoagulant). Use of these terms rings alarm bells here, even when the doctor turns out to be quite competent. It's just people trying to watch out for you.

Try to ease up on the stress, as that chews into your valve faster and more surely than any other, nonmedical thing, with weight coming a close second.

I hate to think of you having to go through this again. If and when you do, make sure your preacher takes a bath in Lysol and gargles with Listerine before he attends another pre-op barbeque. :)

My very best Christmas and New Year's wishes,

My dear friend Glenda The Good, I am saddened to hear of your bad news, but I am equally inspired by your response. I am sending out my love and prayers to back up your wonderful spirit. Your valve brother, Brian PS: When can we see a pic of the "new" you?

Glenda,
I am sorry to hear about your latest report. I will pray that you will remain symptom free for a long time so you don't have to go through another surgery anytime soon (same to you Norma!).

I must commend you on your weight loss journey. That is something to be very proud of.

Take good care of yourself and God Bless,

When I can get one of my grandchlildren over to my house to show me how to post a new picture, I will put one on. Although over the years I'm usually the one taking the pictures. One of my grandson's did take one of me here while back on his phone. I'll try to see if he can down load it for me.

Thanks everyone for the good wishes! I'm going to be fine, one way or the other! !

Glenda, If all of us could have just a little bit of your attitude, the world would be a much better place. Hopefully, the valve you have will keep ticking along just fine for a while longer. And when it is time to be replaced, you'll be just fine.

You are in my prayers! I have to say....You have the very best attitude! Your faith dear Glenda will carry you through!

Instead of "rejecting" do you suppose he might have said your heart was "decompensating" for the valve? That's how my doctor phrased it when she noticed my left ventricle was becoming enlarged. My heart just can't make up for the valve leakage like it used to. In any case, I hope you get a longer reprieve before the next surgery.

Also, congratulations on the weight loss! That is really fantastic and I'm sure your heart is better for it. I once took 8 months to lose just 30 pounds and know how difficult it can be - and I even had the "luxury" of being unemployed at the time, giving me plenty of time for exercise.

Latest posts

Back