Not doing surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting thread, and a bit sobering. To each their own. I wonder if you would make the same decision if you didn't suffer depression ? Probably not. I didn't read through the entire thread, but there is hope in God if you put your faith in him!
he doesn't ... he suffers from narcissism (well, as an outcome we do too)

I hope you dont joke like this often, a lot of people come to this forum for support to overcome the surgery
Many people do come here for support. Those people actually want support and guidance and will benefit from the experience and information long time participants have to offer.

The person that started this thread doesn’t want support. They want attention. It’s been going on for years. This is far from the first thread they’ve started. There’s a lot of fatigue with that individual.

Came onto this forum about 13 years ago for advice ,expecting imminent AVR due to moderate to severe regurgitation ( bicuspid valve). Did some research and queried surgery.

I have since had 6 monthly ECHOs and occasional MRIs.
Although borderline on distolic and systolic measurements,they have remained fairly stable. A good preserved Ejection Fraction, no left ventricle dystrophy, good aortic root diameter, good overall LV function. Asymptomatic.

I am 62, 5' 11", 75kg .work 12 hr shifts, 50 hr + weeks, on my feet all day.

Used to run 6 to 8 km 3 times a week, surf, cycle and swim up until 2 yrs ago due to dodgy hip (hip replacement due in Jan).

Fitness ( in particular running ) was my best gauge for deteriation or sign of symptoms. So in its absence they stuck me on bike at NHS for fitness/heart function test earlier this year.. =better than average for age.

Bottom line... I fear surgery, ! ..and feel while I have a good quality of life now why take the risk of such intrusive surgery and something going wrong.

I have been told that AVR is a matter of when and not if..and the risk of surgery increases with age. But i have had a happy and productive 13 years and hope to have a few more.
I am continuing my Regular ECHOS, got an MRI early next year. But I will not be having surgery until I hit the measurement criteria or show first sign of any symptoms,....or hit 70 yr old .

Dont 't be rushed into surgery but when it is needed, it is needed. Be aware, keep up observations, research and make your own decisions.

Back