Normal Symptoms of Critical Aortic Stenosis?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dawn-Marie

Hi everyone ~

I'm still waiting to hear from the doctor in Cleveland. I guess he's made up his mind if i'm even a candidate for the percutaneous valve. However, his secretary said she doesn't know what he decided and he would let my cardiac surgeon in Erie know soon.

The last couple weeks i've had swelling in my legs and feet from my hips down to the point where it is what they call pitting edema. This is happening despite being on quite a few diuretics. Then last week i had chest pains that went up and down my left arm for several hours. I still get them on and off in my left shoulder and down my arm.

Have any of you had these symptoms? I just wondered if they're normal when you have valve disease, or something i should worry about.

Thank you very much!

Dawn-Marie

Sorry to read about the severe symptoms, Dawn-Marie. My situation is not as severe by any means (moderate stenosis) so all I can comment on is what I've read. Edema and angina are listed as symptoms of severe valve stenosis in the literature. I'm sure others who are knowledgeable will comment.

I think I would really be calling the cardiologist and your surgeons and demanding attention.

Good luck!

Jim

I would expect your Doc's will want to get your Edema under control ASAP.

Has anyone suggested Compression Stockings to help get the fluid out of your legs?

Hi ~ My cardiologist knows about the swelling. They have me on quite a bit of Bumex every day and don't dare to give me any more since even with the amount i'm on my potassium level is dropping to 2.3 and it should be 3.5 or more. I'm taking quite a bit of potassium every day also. All the time i was at Hamot Hospital i had problems with my blood pressure and potassium being really low and they couldn't seem to fix either one. I didn't swell then because they kept me in bed most of the time. Now that i'm up i'm swelling quite a bit. The chest pain is something that just started happening last week. Since edema and angina are both listed as symptoms of severe aortic stenosis, maybe i shouldn't worry too much. I did call Dr. Strzalka's office (he's the cardiac surgeon) and let his nurse know what is happening...he's only in on Tuesday, so hopefully he will get back to me tomorrow.

Sorry to hear about all your problems. You probably already know this -- and it seems so simplistic that I hesitate to mention it -- but have you tried adding cranberry juice to your diet? It is a naturally occuring mild diuretic.

Hi ~ My cardiologist knows about the swelling. They have me on quite a bit of Bumex every day and don't dare to give me any more since even with the amount i'm on my potassium level is dropping to 2.3 and it should be 3.5 or more. I'm taking quite a bit of potassium every day also. All the time i was at Hamot Hospital i had problems with my blood pressure and potassium being really low and they couldn't seem to fix either one. I didn't swell then because they kept me in bed most of the time. Now that i'm up i'm swelling quite a bit. The chest pain is something that just started happening last week. Since edema and angina are both listed as symptoms of severe aortic stenosis, maybe i shouldn't worry too much. I did call Dr. Strzalka's office (he's the cardiac surgeon) and let his nurse know what is happening...he's only in on Tuesday, so hopefully he will get back to me tomorrow.

Dawn, regardless of the cause of your chest pain it still is serious. It sounds like you have already reported these changes in your symptoms to your docs so I won't mention that. Unless of course you haven't then you better. While you are waiting for specific instructions from them I would suggest that you do elevate your legs so you won't have to work against gravity while trying to get rid of some of the excess fluid. That potassium level is worrisom too. Follow your dietary instructions zealously.

I know your medical problems are so complex but I am praying that you are able to get to a healthier place then you are right now. You have so many people in your corner rooting for you.

Latest posts

Back