Normal ranges

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Dianne

Does anyone have info on the normal ranges and how to interpret results for such things as:

1. aortic systolic and diastolic numbers
2. left ventricle systolic numbers
3. left ventricle EDP number
4. Aortic insufficiency number rating scale-- number range from normal to bad,etc.
5. how heart enlargement (thickening of LV) is rated--number range from normal to bad,etc.

I want to ask my cardiologist some intelligent questions but want to make sure I know what I'm talking about first! I thought I had some info on this then found other info that had somewhat different scales.
Thanks.
Dianne

Dianne -
I have done some research this week on Aortic Stenosis numbers that may or may not be of help to you. It will depend on if you have stenois or regurgitation.
Normal readings for the Aortic are 2.5 cm. Between 1.5 and 1.0 is considered moderate stenosis, and anything below 1.0 is considered severe. Surgery is required when it reaches .7 cm. Mine is currently at 1.04cm so I can look forward to surgery number 2 in the not too distant future. I had MVR in 1989 and hope to avoid a second surgery as long as possible. Good luck on getting all the info you need. It certainly helps to be well informed.
Tammy
Oh - also see what your EF is. 65 percent is the norm for that.

Tammy,

Thanks for the information. Every bit is helpful to me. This is all such a learning experience, as everyone knows I'm sure. I also realize I'm lacking some of the medical reports I've asked for over time and haven't gotten. Does anyone else experience this problem (getting reports from their doctors)?
Dianne

what about the GRADIENT?

what about the GRADIENT?

I also wanted to know what those numbers mean. What about the gradient?

About those reports---I asked for copies of my records when my cardiologist retired. I was only given the last few years.' I have been going to that doctor for 28 years! And I would have liked to have seen my "numbers" right before I had my surgery 10 years ago.

Oh, well, most importantly, I do have a copy of my operative report.

Hey Dianne,

I became very diligent about keeping copies of my records after my PCP lost one of my echos reports! I don?t want to rely on ANYONE -doctor or not- to keep up with my health problems. I?ve pulled some pretty interesting manuevers... but I have a copy of every echo, chest x-ray and and mammo report I?ve ever had done. AND the COMPLETE file from the hospital on my surgery and all relating reports. I?ve had to get pretty ?creative? but by golly I?ve got them and will continue to get them. I PAID FOR THEM!! How can they NOT give them to us?? I?ve even been told its because I may be scared of what?s in them?? GEE WHIZ - what idiots!

Get copies of your reports as you go... that's the easiest.

Rain and Brenda,

Thanks for your comments. And I think, Rain, you are right. Get the reports as you go. Yesterday, I started with my cardiologist's nurse, and she was able to flip through the file and copy what I asked for within minutes.
Dianne

Back