Noob from Wisconsin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawnerd64

I had my aortic valve replaced on Jan 10th. I passed out at the gym and was rushed to the hospital where they determined I had a heart attack. It took them three days to figure out I had a bicuspid valve that was shot. All my life Docs told me I had a heart murmur, but they never told me it could kill me. The irony is that my father and my mother-in-law both had the same surgery. My dad later said that if he had to do it over again he’d rather die. My mother-in-law had a massive stroke the day after her surgery. She lived but suffers from the stroke nine years on. From this I swore that I would never have open heart surgery. I road a bike like a madman. I commuted by bike 50 miles road trip each day. I watched what I ate and kept my weight and blood pressure down. Despite all this, here I am. When I was told about my valve I said how soon can you replace it? And seven weeks out I am feeling pretty good and am happy I had the surgery. It was difficult and painful at times but I feel blessed and thankful for the team that saved my life and rebuilt my heart.

Hey and welcome
I commuted by bike 50 miles road trip each day. I watched what I ate and kept my weight and blood pressure down. Despite all this, here I am...
well as you now know its not related to that once you know you have Bicuspid Aortic Valve (BAV) ... you can get longer, you can end up getting shorter times from childhood to aduldhood.

But don't despair, the good work you did on your health will continue to stand you in good stead despite the valve trying to kill you.

Best Wishes and fingers crossed for an uneventful recovery.

I had my aortic valve replaced on Jan 10th. I passed out at the gym and was rushed to the hospital where they determined I had a heart attack. It took them three days to figure out I had a bicuspid valve that was shot. All my life Docs told me I had a heart murmur, but they never told me it could kill me. The irony is that my father and my mother-in-law both had the same surgery. My dad later said that if he had to do it over again he’d rather die. My mother-in-law had a massive stroke the day after her surgery. She lived but suffers from the stroke nine years on. From this I swore that I would never have open heart surgery. I road a bike like a madman. I commuted by bike 50 miles road trip each day. I watched what I ate and kept my weight and blood pressure down. Despite all this, here I am. When I was told about my valve I said how soon can you replace it? And seven weeks out I am feeling pretty good and am happy I had the surgery. It was difficult and painful at times but I feel blessed and thankful for the team that saved my life and rebuilt my heart.
I did the maniac bike thing too. I had my bicuspid AV done Feb 3rd (?) Going home this Wednesday after 3 weeks in rehab . I must say the first week in ICU was ugly but starting week two it has been a smooth recovery. The best to you!

Welcome Lawner64!

Really glad that you are recovering well and glad that you decided to get the surgery- you chose life! Continue making it a good one!

Latest posts

Back