No teeth cleaning or elective dental procedures for a year after surgery??

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauratx22

Went for my 6 month teeth cleaning and the dentist said "American Heart Association said no cleaning or elective procedures, only emergencies during the first year after open heart surgery".......has anyone else had this happen?? Never heard of it. My cardiologist must of not known since she said that I wouldn't need antibiotics for cleaning.:confused2:

Laura

My surgeon told me 6 months. I don't know if the protocol has changed or not???

Actually after my 2nd surgery I had a lot of work done 4 months after my surgery after checking with my surgeon and getting his blessing. My insurance coverage was running out at the end of June so it saved me a ton of money having it done a couple of months earlier.

6 months and antibiotics is what I was told. I went in at 5 and my dentist said reschedule for following months. I had cleaning and 2 teeth filled. Got 2 more crowns to go........
think I rather see a cardiologist .

I was told 6 months as well. I did have a crown come off at about 3 months though so I was given a full course of antibiotics instead of the usual one dose.

I had cleaning at about 5 months and partial crown at 6 months. Just took the 1 dose an hour before each procedure. Cardio said it was ok.

Went for my 6 month teeth cleaning and the dentist said "American Heart Association said no cleaning or elective procedures, only emergencies during the first year after open heart surgery".......has anyone else had this happen?? Never heard of it. My cardiologist must of not known since she said that I wouldn't need antibiotics for cleaning.:confused2:

Laura

Laura - There is a very good reason for the majority vote here: the Consensus Guidelines (AHA/ACC/ADA) dispute both your dentist and cardiologist. Here are the AHA Guidelines for Prevention of Endocarditis: http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/116/15/1736.full.pdf as well as the same incorporated into the ACC Valve Disease Guidelines: http://content.onlinejacc.org/cgi/reprint/52/13/e1.pdf. The changes made in 2007 are more than a little controversial, particularly the recommendation that those with native valve disorders (such as BAV) no longer need to premedicate, but the consensus recommendation still stands that prophylactic antibiotics should be used for anyone with a prosthetic heart valve for most "disruptive" dental procedures (the Guidelines do list some exclusions for less risky procedures such as removable appliances). Now, it's still not definitively proven that this is the best medical decision, but based on the limited amount of available evidence, the experts in the field agree it's the most "reasonable" recommendation to make.

Anyway, moving on, as for the 6 month or 12 month waiting period, that usually stems from the endothelialization (not nearly this simple but basically tissue overgrowth) period of the valve replacement, specifically things such as the sewing cuff and sutures which are prone to short term infection until full endothelialization takes place. Normally, that happens within a 3 to 6 month period of time, though. Now, not that this means anything, but I do actually remember reading one isolated recommmendation somewhere, I think maybe a surgeon in a valve related webchat, to wait 12 month, but by no means is that common practice. The general consensus has always seemed to be 6 months (which of course matches up in schedule with a recommended pre-surgery visit), and I don't think I've ever seen a 12 month waiting period in any AHA guidelines. Maybe your dentist would like to share his source? :confused2:

I don't recall any such restrictions except antibiotics before. I had a checkup and xrays only 2 months post-OHS and a cleaning at 5 months.

There is no one-year restriction mentioned in the AHA or ACC guidelines that I can find. It's three months for a standard valve job; six months if part of the aorta is also replaced. As ElectLive points out above, the restriction is based on the growth of internal skin (endothelium) over the surgical site. Until the area is grown over with endothelial skin, there are enhanced risks of clotting and of infection.

You'll note that unless you have a mechanical valve, surgeons only leave you on blood thinners from three to six months - to cover the time periods mentioned above, for the reasons given. Same goes for dental work.

Recontact your surgeon's office or your cardiologist for a better understanding of this. Then seriously consider getting a new dentist.

Best wishes,

I was told i need antibiotics, but my cardiologist has been having me do that my whole life anyways so no big deal there.

Other then that no restrictions

I bet you are not listening to that. The American Dental Association has always recommended going to get cleaning, or dental work, recardless of how long it has been since surgery. I went six months after with no problem, as long as I was premedicated first with antibotic first. Never heard such nonsense from a dentist before. Must be from we are not well informed society. You have to keep you teeth and gums healthy as you do the rest of your body. Hugs for today.

Latest posts

Back