No tattoos?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

carista

I know a lot of you on here probably could care less, but my cardiologist told me not to get anymore tattoo's. I asked him, even if I pre-med? Nope he said. So I asked him, am I more likely to get endocarditis (sp?) now than I was before or something? I have a tissue valve by the way. He said no, but I'm not low risk anymore?????? What the heck does that mean? It's like he contradicted himself in the same sentence. I only have one tattoo and only want one more that really means something to me (and it's not big :( ). I mean, I won't if I really shouldn't...but does anyone think he's going overboard? Possibly, maybe even because he just doesn't like tattoo's?

Some of you might wonder why this is such a big deal to me, and it might sound weird considering everything else I've been through....but THAT makes me feel like a heart patient. Going to the ER a million times, having heart surgery....yeah I felt a little like a heart patient. But once I get the NO you can't do this and NO don't do that, that's what really made me feel the part. I'm 27 :mad: I've been thinking this tattoo out for a long time and even have an exceptional artist to draw it for me. Really? No tattoos???

Anyone else been told the same thing?

Carista

Tatoos are not a good idea, sweetie!! Someone else out there correct me if I'm wrong. There's always the risk of hepatitis (one of them?) from the needle. I don't think anyone with tatoos is allowed to give blood anymore.

You should consider getting flu shots every year. There are probably other new "rules" of behavior. Is it to prevent you from getting endocarditis? Probably. That and any other bacterial or virus infection that could compromise the valve. I think certain body piercings are a very bad idea also, like the tongue. No-no!

And just as a head's up.....there's been news lately that some pedicure businesses are not cleaning out the air vents in their water massage machines and awful bacteria is causing infections in their customers. The infection shows up as very nasty,numerous large boil type lesions on the legs, often a month later!!:eek: :eek: Long antibiotic regamines and lots of scars.

Maybe have the tatoo drawing made into a lovely, framed wall-art kind of thing??

And many of us DO understand (and may wish they were a more accepted thing when we were younger with perfect skin!! :) )

Take care!!

Marguerite

Carista,

Did you have any problems when you had your first tatoo done? Any slight infection, irritation, etc.? Will you be using the same artist?

I am not sure you would be any more prone to problems now that your valve has been replaced than you would have before. Did you talk to your doctor before you had the first one done?

Only you will be able to answer whether the tatoo is so important that it doesn't matter what the doctor says. You are right, there is the chance that the doctor simply thinks tatoos are a bad idea. Many people do get infections because the environment of the tatoo parlor is not ideal. However there are parlors out there that utilize sterile methods. And, we all know, there are a lot of tatoos in the world.

I would definitly not have a tatoo done without pre-meds. That may be the clincher for you if your doctor won't give you a prescription.

Do some more research and I am sure you will come up with an answer you can live with.

Hi Carista,
I've read reports suggesting that both tattoos and piercings have been implicated in cases of endocarditis. In addition, my understanding is that there is a slightly increased risk of endocarditis in the first year following valve replacement (not sure why - perhaps because the incisions have not fully integrated, providing more of a rough edge for bacteria to cling too? That's just a guess.) The statistics I've seen say 5% risk that first year, under 1% risk after that. However, what makes us high risk is the potentially devastating consequences should we end up with endocarditis - higher mortality rates, potential valve failure and increased risk of future infections.

If it were me, I'd skip the tattoo - just not worth it. However, if you feel you absolutely must have it, I'd say wait at least a year, find a cardiologist who is willing to discuss how to medicate to make this as safe as possible and go to the most professional, reputable tattoo parlor available (maybe check with the Better Business Bureau or Health Department for records of complaints or safety violations?) Best of luck! Kate

Yaps,

Very interesting article but it is certainly the extreme. It also states that this is the first documented example of endocarditis from tatooing (although suspected in some others).

In addition, unless I missed it in the article, this person (with a known history of BAV) did all 60+ of these procedures without antibiotics (although I don't imagine being on antibiotics for 5 years can be good).

THE FOLLOWING IS MY OPINION AND I AM NOT A DOCTOR; I AM MERELY OFFERING FOOD FOR THOUGHT.

Although I don't have anything to back this up, I would think a small tatoo might not be any more dangerous than a thorough teeth cleaning (and possibly less of a danger since mouth bacteria go directly into the bloodstream and I am not sure about skin punctures). It might be interesting to try and get some stats on skin punctures compared to teeth cleaning.

A "normal" tatoo (and by this I mean one that does not cover an entire arm, back, leg, etc.), when done properly and under sterile conditions, should not be dangerous if given pre-meds. I would think more bacteria can get into a deep cut than a tatoo and we don't always medicate for cuts. The BIG question here is whether one can safely assure a tatoo parlor is properly sterile.

I am not necessarily advocating a tatoo for Carista (only she can make that decision) but merely exploring all options.

I think the cardio was probably covering his butt. However, I aree with Kate and think you should wait at least a year after your surgery. For some reason it seems that the immune system takes a while to bounce back - I got really sick with everything I got that first year - including colds, stomach flu and cellulitis. Since then, things seems to be back to how I used to react.

Does MN license its tattoo parlors? If not, I probably would never get a tat (well, I wouldn't anyway, but I'm old and hate needles). I also don't have manicures because a friend of mine got one of those terrible infections. And that was years ago and I didn't have the valve thing to worry about.

Thanks for all the advice. I will definately think it through more before I get one and wait at least a year just to be safe if I do. But I do agree with Geebee that the guy who got it put himself in much more risk than I would be. He got a tattoo every single month and without pre-medication? I'm not quite that adventerous.

I ALWAYS check to make sure a place is clean and does things well before ever getting a tattoo or anything else done. I had no problems with my first tattoo (and I didn't even pre-medicate, not because I was being dumb, but because I didn't know I had aortic stenosis and didn't even hardly know anything about my bicuspid valve at the time except that I should pre-med before dentist appointments - heck I didn't even know I'd ever have to have surgery.) Unfortunately, the artist who gave me my first tattoo was also a friend and passed away. My husband has just recently gotten a tattoo at a place he heard had a great reputation, so we'll see how his goes. He told me the place was the cleanest he'd ever been in.

Anyway, I was just curious if anyone else had been told this and everyone's opinion on it. Thank you very much for everyone's input.

Carista

I'm just guessing here, but it would seem that the risks of a tattoo after a tissue valve replacement, would be the same as prior. I would think that pre-medication with an antibiotic would be a must. With a mech valve, being on Coumadin, I would say would make a tattoo a no-no. I doubt that any reputable tattoo artist would tattoo someone on an anticoagulent.

I had my ears pierced twice - after my valve replacement and I was unmedicated. Looking back, I should have had an antibiotic - but I was young (at 33) and didn't know anyone else with a valve replacement, let alone have access to a group like VR.

I've never run across a reasoned answer to this issue. I wouldn't advise for or agin' it, personally.

Here's my (possibly flawed) understanding of endocarditis risk, if it helps:

There is an increased risk of endocarditis for the first three months after a "standard" valve surgery, due to the time it takes for the endothelium to completely heal and smooth at the operation site. That time period is more like six months when there is replacement of part of the ascending aorta, as the endothelium must grow to cover all of that velour dacron surface. The more replaced, the more work done, the longer the risk period.

I would personally double that time, just to be sure, if I were engaging in some sort of behavior that was considered risky. I would also premedicate with our standard antibiotic dose, if I were to do the thing at all.

There is also a greater risk of contracting endocarditis if you've already had it once. That stays with you and might be a showstopper for most.

There is evidence that piercings, especially tongue piercings, are generally dangerous and can lead to endocarditis in otherwise healthy individuals. I have read of a number of those cases, and they can be found by searching the web. I've not read of cases derived from basic tattooing, although it isn't a topic of deep study for me.

I've often considered the classic zipper over the OHS scar, or an arrow to it from the words, "Tear along the dotted line," or even a character peering out from the sternum. But now the scar's not easy to see anymore, so the idea's lost any charm it might once have held.

Best wishes,

I had a second hole pierced in my ears after my first surgery. I was on coumadin and did not pre-medicate. Like Karlynn, I didn't think about needing antibiotics. I had purple ears for a couple of weeks due to the coumadin - didn't think about that either. I escaped without endocarditis but I was lucky.

Carista, I think if you wait 6 months to a year and pre-medicate and make sure the place is very sterile, using disposable needles and FDA approved dyes, you should be fine. Precaution is what is important and knowledge of what you need to check.

We expect to see a picture once this is done (assuming it is "shareable").:D ;)

You can donate blood as long as your tattoo was received a year ago or more in most cases. (Since that subject was brought up.)

Carrie said:
You can donate blood as long as your tattoo was received a year ago or more in most cases. (Since that subject was brought up.)

American Red Cross will not accept blood donations from anyone who has an artificial heart valve.

Blanche

Blanche - do they consider oinkers artificial? I was wondering this not too long ago.

No Tattoos

No Tattoos

Having had endocarditis which caused a stroke and severe damage to two heart valves leading to OHS and AVR and MVR, I would not do anything which could possibly give me endocarditis again - it really isn't worth it. I was not in a high risk group and got my infection after having lithotripsy for kidney stones. No tattoo can be worth the possible damage. Sorry, that is my view.

just my personal opinion but i would wait about a year after your surgery just to be on the safe side. but i don't see a problem with never being able to get a tattoo ever again. i think the same risks that are there are the same ones you had pre-op. now if you are getting a back piece or sleeving your arm out...then i would think really hard about that...but a small piece should not be a problem. i had the one on my chest done when i was 21....10 years later...turns out that he is a ticked off M&M pointing at my new scar :) this was taken back in august...about 3 months after my surgery.

I have a Medtronics Mosaic porcine valve, and I donate blood to the Red Cross. I checked carefully with the organization's people and queried them online before donating again after the surgery. Donations are allowed from anyone with a tissue valve, as long as they don't have anything else that disqualifies them.

However, there is a waiting period before donating after major surgeries. It took about a year before I could talk my cardiologist into okaying me to donate, but I would probably have had to wait that long anyway.

People with mechanical valves can't donate blood, but it's not exactly because of the valve. Those with mechanical valves require Coumadin, which is not a terribly useful addition to blood being given to an accident victim, and disqualifies those who use it from donating.

Best wishes,

I have never had my ears pierced..or a tattoo.....I came into this world ..with no extra holes..want to go out the same.:D ...Have never worn earrings..except for weddings..and they hurt, then..:p I have never known..why women want to have things hanging from their ears.:eek: I would rather see them with a nice hairdo..Not, dangling things hanging from their ears.:eek: Daughter just had age 2 year old Grandaughter's ears pierced..:eek: I think it takes away from her beautiful, dark, curly hair...to see a tiny thingy in her ears.....:eek: I know, I'm old..but hate to see someone my age..65 with a tattoo.........on their arms, ect.:eek: I'm sure..most were done when they were young....Bonnie

mmarshall, What a tremedous photo! The figure pointing is too much! Good luck with what you decide about other tatoos. Cheers, Will

Geebee - Yes it would be shareable, and yes I'll share a picture of it once I get it, if i get it. I'm going to take everyone's advice if I do get one though and wait at least a year.

mmarshall - I think that's perfect. It looks like you got it on purpose for the scar, it's funny.

And yes, I like to hear the advice of everyone, even the ones opposed to getting tattoo's. I like to hear everyone's opinion and then decide on my own. Who knows, maybe in a year I won't even want another tattoo anymore, but I kinda doubt it. I've been wanting one more for quite a while.

Thanks all!

Latest posts

Back