No change

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyE

Had my 3rd echo cardiogram in three years, the doc said there is no change whats so ever since last years echo.
No symptoms, no pain, it is the aortic valve that has mild to moderate stenosis.
Slight regurgitation that they could no hear with a stethoscope, they could only see it on the echo, he said it's even less than the last time.
These things do not reverse themselves so I am wondering how this is possible?
I am 64 in good shape, I exercise, eat good.'
I am wondering if the first Doc made an error?

...No symptoms, no pain, it is the aortic valve that has mild to moderate stenosis.
firstly I'd say "that's all good news"
secondly I'd say "that's why we always take multiple measurements and see what we find" (*before going into a flat-spin)

Even a carpenter will tell you "measure twice, cut once"

Could be the doctor or could be the echo tech and/or equipment. The newer equipment takes a much clearer echo. The skill of the tech is also extremely important.

Hi,

In the early years of monitoring my valve it might be heard might not. My cardio pointed to the dynamic nature of the circulatory system to explain this. Stress, tiredness, fitness, medication etc. These days it can be heard every time when examined. I notice it tends to be louder myself at the end of the day. quietest in the morning.

I wouldn't worry too much, take it as a positive that things arent too bad maybe? Echo as needed and hopefully it holds up.

All the best

Do they know why you have stenosis?

With me it was due to a bicuspid aortic valve. Per my cardio and surgeon they said stenosis associated with a BAV can go along quite fine for years but then changes rather quickly. I went from "oh you have a heart murmur let's see why", to an echo every 5 years, to one every year, to "you need an operation soon" and when pressed for a timeline, they said within 2 months. My surgeon said it was like running toward a cliff, first you go over flat ground, then it starts to slope downward, then you hit the cliff's edge. My cardio said "you don't want to have the syndrome known as sudden death."

Had my 3rd echo cardiogram in three years, the doc said there is no change whats so ever since last years echo.
No symptoms, no pain, it is the aortic valve that has mild to moderate stenosis.
Slight regurgitation that they could no hear with a stethoscope, they could only see it on the echo, he said it's even less than the last time.
That is why when they do the Echo I listen to what they are recording for the heart. For lucky me, I know what trouble murmur sounds like too well. I heard when I was a child and again before my second bypass that got my aortic valve replaced with a St. Judes' Leaflet. The murmur sounded horrible, my jaw dropped onto the floor and took forever to get it back into place. Just kidding. But have been doing great since the replacement. No murmur return yet. Some Cardio work differently than others.

Do they know why you have stenosis?

With me it was due to a bicuspid aortic valve. Per my cardio and surgeon they said stenosis associated with a BAV can go along quite fine for years but then changes rather quickly. I went from "oh you have a heart murmur let's see why", to an echo every 5 years, to one every year, to "you need an operation soon" and when pressed for a timeline, they said within 2 months. My surgeon said it was like running toward a cliff, first you go over flat ground, then it starts to slope downward, then you hit the cliff's edge. My cardio said "you don't want to have the syndrome known as sudden death."
So very much true.

Latest posts

Back