nightsweats

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

robert

GOD bless every one here!! I was wondering if anyone has experienced nightsweats after surgery, If so , and for how long ?

Hi Robert,

Yes, to your question. Then again it could for me at least be related to that time of life, I'm 50. After I was released from the hospital, I went into rehab for two weeks. Many nights they had to change both sheets. Having sweated through both top and bottom. Not sure of the reason for this. I'm sure though that someone else will come along who can shed a light. Once I returned home the problem went away.

Last edited:
I had a bit of that in my first 10 days or so. Nothing severe, but sheets were not exactly fresh.

I think it's probably normal if you are not experiencing constant clamminess or other symptoms.

The body likes to get rid of toxins and sweating is one way to unload some of the many drugs your system has absorbed over the past while.

I hear that anesthesia can affect your hair (brittle, dry, hairloss) and it takes a long time, sometimes a couple of months, to get out of your system fully.

I do not know if that last bit about the time is true, but I can attest to it affecting hair and skin.

Kev

Hi Robert

I sweated after surgery as well. And it had an unusual odour. (The sweat, that is)

In the cardiac book given to me to read by the hospital, they say that sweating is normal after open heart surgery and that they don't know exactly what causes it.

As long it doesn't hurt you, then I guess they haven't bothered to research the issue.

Best wishes

Hi Robert...

I am not exactly sure if I was just hot, or if it were those darn hot flashes that we women are plagued with during our change of life, but I had a fan in my room both times I went in for my surgeries.
Before surgery I really could not go out to dinner anywhere because I would just get too hot. Sweat would be dripping off my face. Really embarrassing!
I also think now that my heart was working much harder and that can make a person break out in a sweat as well.

Christina
Mechanical St. Jude's 8/2000
Coumadin

Back