Niacin to reduce Lp(a) Lipoprotein/Some other facts about Lp(a)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am embarking on a trial with 500 mg Niacinamide extended release to see if I can lower my Lp(a) Lipoprotein #.

Elevated Lp(a) is implicated in Aortic stenosis development and progression and as well as cardiovascular disease.

Anyone else doing the same please let's exchange information i.e. doses, side effects, progress, manufacturer of niacin, other things you are doing to lower Lp(a) (such as PCKS9-I/repatha. switching to a lower dose statin, etc, etc) . It's believed that statins especially lipitor can raise Lp(a) while lower doses of Crestor are safer in regards to raising Lp(a)

Thanks ! Dave

I doubt niacinamide will do the trick. You need Nicotinic acid, the other Niacin.

I have been on it for about 6 months. My LDL has come down though it is still too high. My HDL went up from 43 to 60 and my triglycerides are way down.

I take 3g on Niacin at once, lunch time. If I skip a day I feel the flush but most of the time I do not notice it if I have been regular.

I doubt niacinamide will do the trick. You need Nicotinic acid, the other Niacin.

I have been on it for about 6 months. My LDL has come down though it is still too high. My HDL went up from 43 to 60 and my triglycerides are way down.

I take 3g on Niacin at once, lunch time. If I skip a day I feel the flush but most of the time I do not notice it if I have been regular.
I got my LDL to 56 and my total cholesterol to 101 with statins and low fat vegan diet...HDL has been in the 30's since I was young which could explain a lot of my cardiac issues..My triglycerides went way down

You need real Niacin (and like 2000mg a day), there are numerous studies on this about it raising HDL as well. I have always struggled to get my HDL above 40. I tried real Niacin a while back and things were looking good until I started getting discolored skim patches. You will need periodic liver function tests with real niacin as it can damage the liver. I had to stop taking Niacin and HDL went back to mid 30s. Oddly when they did my AVR 2 reals ago and did my cath they said my arties were squeaky clean and I would not likely need a bypass for another 30 years (I was 58), so basically never. I have taken a specific regiment of supplements for over 12 years. lots of Omega 3 with high 980mg of EPA DHA content each (used to take 2 twice a day, now take 1 twice a day), Daily 81mg Aspirin, Vit D3, Pure Garlic pills (=about 2/3 of a clove a day), 300mg CoQ10, 400-600mg Magnesium and my Losartin (they had me on it proactively before surgery and I went back to it to keep my BP very good).

lots of Omega 3 with high 980mg of EPA DHA content each (used to take 2 twice a day, now take 1 twice a day), Daily 81mg Aspirin, Vit D3, Pure Garlic pills (=about 2/3 of a clove a day), 300mg CoQ10, 400-600mg Magnesium and my Losartin (they had me on it proactively before surgery and I went back to it to keep my BP very good).
Hey Keith--great regimen--my feedback/comments/questions
PS--How did you establish this regimen and why ?
How was AVR ? Post surgical complications ? Ticking ? Was it scary hard to adjust to a new valve in your heart ?

lots of Omega 3 with high 980mg of EPA DHA content each (used to take 2 twice a day, now take 1 twice a day), I am vegan follow Esselstyn Diet-One - 2 table spoons of Flaxseed each day for Omega 3
Daily 81mg Aspirin-I do same
, Vit D3--my levels are high don't need to supplement--live near the Equator
Pure Garlic pills (=about 2/3 of a clove a day) I eat garlic when I can
300mg CoQ10--I do same
400-600mg Magnesium ) I do same
and my Losartin (they had me on it proactively before surgery and I went back to it to keep my BP very good--I reduced my dose 25% due to diet

Hey Keith--great regimen--my feedback/comments/questions
PS--How did you establish this regimen and why ?
How was AVR ? Post surgical complications ? Ticking ? Was it scary hard to adjust to a new valve in your heart ?

lots of Omega 3 with high 980mg of EPA DHA content each (used to take 2 twice a day, now take 1 twice a day), I am vegan follow Esselstyn Diet-One - 2 table spoons of Flaxseed each day for Omega 3
Daily 81mg Aspirin-I do same
, Vit D3--my levels are high don't need to supplement--live near the Equator
Pure Garlic pills (=about 2/3 of a clove a day) I eat garlic when I can
300mg CoQ10--I do same
400-600mg Magnesium ) I do same
and my Losartin (they had me on it proactively before surgery and I went back to it to keep my BP very good--I reduced my dose 25% due to diet

I did a lot of research back in 2007 when they diagnosed me and started many of the supplements then. Fish Oil is the trickiest as many will say they 1000 or 1200mg, but when you look at the EPA and DHA they have maybe 300mg. Garlic was the most recent additions maybe 4 years ago. Magnesium maybe about 5-t years ago when I was complaining about my frequent PVCs and they said ideally my magnesium level should be at least 2.0 and while mine was “normal” at 1.8 they shoot for at least 2. My PVCs for much better when my magnesium is 2.0 or more. Magnesium is a touch one as the blood test is not always accurate something with how magnesium is stored in the body (I believe in the bones). This has worked for me so far. My AVR was actually great, no complication and recovery was better than I expected. You can search my name I have posted several posts about my overall expier3nce. I did travel to Cleveland Clinic, which to me was a big part of it. Here in Atlanta, Georgia none of the hostpia;s score above 55 out of 100 for cardiac surgery and Cleveland scores 100 and has been number 1 for over 21 years in a row. Well worth every penny I spent and the inconvenience of traveling for it.

I did a lot of research back in 2007 when they diagnosed me and started many of the supplements then. Fish Oil is the trickiest as many will say they 1000 or 1200mg, but when you look at the EPA and DHA they have maybe 300mg. Garlic was the most recent additions maybe 4 years ago. Magnesium maybe about 5-t years ago when I was complaining about my frequent PVCs and they said ideally my magnesium level should be at least 2.0 and while mine was “normal” at 1.8 they shoot for at least 2. My PVCs for much better when my magnesium is 2.0 or more. Magnesium is a touch one as the blood test is not always accurate something with how magnesium is stored in the body (I believe in the bones). This has worked for me so far. My AVR was actually great, no complication and recovery was better than I expected. You can search my name I have posted several posts about my overall expier3nce. I did travel to Cleveland Clinic, which to me was a big part of it. Here in Atlanta, Georgia none of the hostpia;s score above 55 out of 100 for cardiac surgery and Cleveland scores 100 and has been number 1 for over 21 years in a row. Well worth every penny I spent and the inconvenience of traveling for it.
I avoid anything from Fish or animals due to fat content so get my Omega's from Flax
I do Mag powder for heart, hearing, tinnitus, depression--400 mg
I have heard good heart things about Garlic ginger and most spices
Good to hear on AVR..I live overseas--will have to pay cash and do in Bangkok

I avoid anything from Fish or animals due to fat content so get my Omega's from Flax
I do Mag powder for heart, hearing, tinnitus, depression--400 mg
I have heard good heart things about Garlic ginger and most spices
Good to hear on AVR..I live overseas--will have to pay cash and do in Bangkok
Who/how did you pay for your surgeries ?

Back