News video on TAVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for posting, Honeybunny. It does sound promising. When I had my aortic valve replaced in 2005 with a bovine valve, I did it with the understanding that I would face another valve replacement in the future. I was relatively young and the surgeon asked specifically if I was prepared for that eventuality. I was. I don’t remember TAVR really being discussed in 2005, and when the procedure first made news, I paid no attention because I was sure it would never be applicable to me. Now I’m not so sure. I still expect to have my next valve replacement by ohs, but I won’t rule out the possibility of TAVR if my current valve lasts a few more years. My cardiologist says that it may well do just that.

Duffey, my cardio told me at my January 2018 check up that I would have TAVR. I thought he was overly optimistic but perhaps not. Only time will tell.
Good to "see" you :)

T...Now I’m not so sure. I still expect to have my next valve replacement by ohs, but I won’t rule out the possibility of TAVR if my current valve lasts a few more years. My cardiologist says that it may well do just that.
its good when the future changes to make your path better. I hope it does

Sixty years ago, needing a valve replaced might very well have been a death sentence.
myself I never forget that (although I did understand you meant the 3rd person infinitive collective we), being one of the early valve replacements done in Australia when I was 10 (1974 IIRC). I recall well all the pre-op stuff I did. I even had to be shown how to breath on a ventilator because they were not automatic like they are now.

I'm very grateful to the people who (by trying to improve the science) got me to live a life beyond 15 years old and grateful of the medical system which allowed that to happen.

Last edited:
Thank you for posting, @honeybunny—I watched with great interest, as I’m always on the look out for the latest on TAVR—and for all your insights, @pellicle and @Duffey (excellent posts, the both of youz).

I just got the results back from my echo last week. All “looks great.” No change from two years ago, ejection fraction 55%, can’t ask for much better. That’s 12 years on a bovine, if you’re scoring at home.

But I know the day will come, and at this point I pretty much have shoved all my chips to the center of the table on TAVR. Although, hearing people who’ve had 3 (or more) OHSs, believe it or not, is encouraging to me. I’m at 2 and dread the thought of another bone saw. But if pellicle (and undoubtedly others) can come out of a hat trick with such positive results and incredible outlooks on life, then even if TAVR isn’t in the cards for me when the time comes, I draw comfort from their experience.

As I’ve said on numerous occasions, thank you for taking the time to share.

Johnny

Thank you for posting, @honeybunny—I watched with great interest, as I’m always on the look out for the latest on TAVR—and for all your insights, @pellicle and @Duffey (excellent posts, the both of youz).

I just got the results back from my echo last week. All “looks great.” No change from two years ago, ejection fraction 55%, can’t ask for much better. That’s 12 years on a bovine, if you’re scoring at home.

But I know the day will come, and at this point I pretty much have shoved all my chips to the center of the table on TAVR. Although, hearing people who’ve had 3 (or more) OHSs, believe it or not, is encouraging to me. I’m at 2 and dread the thought of another bone saw. But if pellicle (and undoubtedly others) can come out of a hat trick with such positive results and incredible outlooks on life, then even if TAVR isn’t in the cards for me when the time comes, I draw comfort from their experience.

As I’ve said on numerous occasions, thank you for taking the time to share.

Johnny

Exactly my thoughts as well. This forum has *LITERALLY* been a life-saver for me (long story).

I also think about Pell & others who have had 3 OHS. I may be looking at a third myself if things don’t improve—and EVERY-TIME I think about it the first thought I have is ALWAYS “Don’t think I can survive a 3rd one (I BARELY pulled through the last one)!” Invariably I then remember Pell & others on here who have had multiple OHS & pulled through. It’s very encouraging.

Seems like I once read about a man who had approx. 6 (or maybe even 7) OHS who used to post here (on the old forum actually). My eyes bugged out of my head when I read that (& I literally shouted, “What?? Good grief!”).

may be looking at a third myself
Well, if you need it then I'm sure you can recover.

Its fukken difficult to look at in the face, but if I may paraphrase "death smiled at us all, all a man can do is simile back".

We each get our strength from different sources.

Best Wishes

Latest posts

Back