Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MIB

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hey ya'll. USA Southerner here. I'll apologize now if a bit of south-talk slips through (eg; ya'll)
I'm 10 days post-op today. I had an aortic valve replaced. An ON-X valve was used. As of yet, I don't really know the different brands, but I see everyone asks.
I was in ICU 4 days, then step down for another 5.
I'm staying at a friend's house because the doctors had a fit when they heard I live alone, and out of the state where my surgery was going to happen. Hence, I may whine about wanting to go home.
My cardiologist has been watching my heart murmur for about 6 yrs.
I'd been going for cardiac echoes every 3-4 months. I was actually on my way to an echo appointment when I stared having some chest pain. Doc told me to just go to the ER. I did and ended up being admitted after the requisite 12 hours in the emergencyroom. UGH
They did an echo with contrast. They also did a cardiac cath. They said I'd need one either way if it came down to surgery. The surgeon declared me " clean pipes". That was good. I'd been worried they'd tell me I had sludge in there. After this craziness, my cardiologist sent me to the cardiac surgeon. I had that appointment the next week. He scheduled surgery for the next week. In a week, I went from watching a heart murmer to surgery. To say the least, I was blind sided. I barely had time to think about it. I had zero time to do any research. I was glad I was able to do the little research I did. My original cardiologist had me convinced to do a TAVR. Upon researching, I learned a mechanical valve lasts so much longer. The recovery from. OHS would be more difficult than TAVR. On the plus side I'd only be looking at one recovery apposed to one every few years. My cardiac surgeon affirmed my belief when he said he wanted to do OHS with the mechanical valve. I know this sounds like a lot. Remember, I went from watching to cutting in less than 10 days. It's been a crazy couple weeks.
I have a couple Great Danes that let me share their house. I sent them on vacation to Florida while I had surgery and while recovering. I know I couldn't take care of them while healing. One is a less than year old puppy. Rambunctious is the closest word I can think to descibe her. Imagine 120 pounds of muscle leaping and bounding at 40 MPH towards you. It gives me chills just to think about that happening.
That's how I ended up not home but in a friend's house, surprise surgery, and missing my furkids while they vacation in sunny Florida.
.....I'm so confused I'm just figuring out what to ask and learn about... My big surprises so far is how long the recovery time will be; how little they want me to do as far as lifting weights, etc; how long I'm not supposed to drive.
One thing I was totally unaware of is how much water weight I'd gain during surgery. I gained 22 lbs overnight. Atvten days post-op I've managed to take off 10 . I'm on diuretics and potassium. I'm sure I don't need to tell ya'll where I'm spending much of my time. LOL
I've also been started on several new meds. I guess most are familiar to heart patients. Metoprolol, warfarin, imiodarone, and aspirin. I understand the rat poison is forever. I'm hoping the rest will be temporary. I don't know how long I will have to go for weekly blood work to check INR. INR is another thing I'd never heard about.
That's the long of it. I'm sure I'll be reading, lurking while learning my way around this new reality.
Cheers :)

Hi and welcome

I don't know how long I will have to go for weekly blood work to check INR. INR is another thing I'd never heard about.
That's the long of it. I'm sure I'll be reading, lurking while learning my way around this new reality.
I encourage you to push for self testing and probably self administration (as I understand its called in the USA). In Australia we just do our own thing and either use labs (if we want to) or get a Roche Coaguchek and self test. I do the latter.

Some reading for passing the time :)

https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/09/managing-my-inr.html
its quite an amount, but I'm presently making something bigger and hope to publish it as an eBook soon.

Best Wishes

Hey ya'll. USA Southerner here. I'll apologize now if a bit of south-talk slips through (eg; ya'll)
I'm 10 days post-op today. I had an aortic valve replaced. An ON-X valve was used. As of yet, I don't really know the different brands, but I see everyone asks.
I was in ICU 4 days, then step down for another 5.
I'm staying at a friend's house because the doctors had a fit when they heard I live alone, and out of the state where my surgery was going to happen. Hence, I may whine about wanting to go home.
My cardiologist has been watching my heart murmur for about 6 yrs.
I'd been going for cardiac echoes every 3-4 months. I was actually on my way to an echo appointment when I stared having some chest pain. Doc told me to just go to the ER. I did and ended up being admitted after the requisite 12 hours in the emergencyroom. UGH
They did an echo with contrast. They also did a cardiac cath. They said I'd need one either way if it came down to surgery. The surgeon declared me " clean pipes". That was good. I'd been worried they'd tell me I had sludge in there. After this craziness, my cardiologist sent me to the cardiac surgeon. I had that appointment the next week. He scheduled surgery for the next week. In a week, I went from watching a heart murmer to surgery. To say the least, I was blind sided. I barely had time to think about it. I had zero time to do any research. I was glad I was able to do the little research I did. My original cardiologist had me convinced to do a TAVR. Upon researching, I learned a mechanical valve lasts so much longer. The recovery from. OHS would be more difficult than TAVR. On the plus side I'd only be looking at one recovery apposed to one every few years. My cardiac surgeon affirmed my belief when he said he wanted to do OHS with the mechanical valve. I know this sounds like a lot. Remember, I went from watching to cutting in less than 10 days. It's been a crazy couple weeks.
I have a couple Great Danes that let me share their house. I sent them on vacation to Florida while I had surgery and while recovering. I know I couldn't take care of them while healing. One is a less than year old puppy. Rambunctious is the closest word I can think to descibe her. Imagine 120 pounds of muscle leaping and bounding at 40 MPH towards you. It gives me chills just to think about that happening.
That's how I ended up not home but in a friend's house, surprise surgery, and missing my furkids while they vacation in sunny Florida.
.....I'm so confused I'm just figuring out what to ask and learn about... My big surprises so far is how long the recovery time will be; how little they want me to do as far as lifting weights, etc; how long I'm not supposed to drive.
One thing I was totally unaware of is how much water weight I'd gain during surgery. I gained 22 lbs overnight. Atvten days post-op I've managed to take off 10 . I'm on diuretics and potassium. I'm sure I don't need to tell ya'll where I'm spending much of my time. LOL
I've also been started on several new meds. I guess most are familiar to heart patients. Metoprolol, warfarin, imiodarone, and aspirin. I understand the rat poison is forever. I'm hoping the rest will be temporary. I don't know how long I will have to go for weekly blood work to check INR. INR is another thing I'd never heard about.
Cheers :)
Nice to meet you MIB. I am just 1 day ahead of you.....11 days post-op with an ON-X valve. There is a lot of great information on this forum. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

Reactions: MIB
Welcome, MIB! And as a Brit can I say it is spiffing to read a bit of Southern-talk in your well written intro! (Honestly, this is the first time in my life I have written spiffing, but it felt appropriate ...)

I think there is some benefit to not having much time between the alarm bell ringing (the chest pains) and having the op - I think you would see many posts here about the understandable anxieties and fears people have ahead of the surgery itself, so the less time spent waiting the better, in my opinion. And it certainly looks as if you put that time to good use.

I too live alone, and had a friend come and stay with me for a few days to keep an eye and make sure I didn't do anything I shouldn't. Listen to your body - you're doubtless finding that you snooze a lot, but just go with it. A more normal sleep pattern will return in time. I bet the dogs will be pleased to see you when you're able to go home!

Welcome to the forum MIB. Always glad to see another southerner on the site.......and from an SEC school city no less. INR stumps new people a lot.......and even some of us who have been on warfarin for years ever so often. The basic thing to remember is....1. Take the warfarin as prescribed (a seven-day pill box helps a lot).....2. Test INR on a regular schedule (every week or two)....3. Eat and drink your normal diet but try not to binge on dark green vegies or alcohol. Other than that just enjoy your new lease on life.

Go "Cats"......I couldn't resist.

Welcome, MIB! And as a Brit can I say it is spiffing to read a bit of Southern-talk in your well written intro! (Honestly, this is the first time in my life I have written spiffing, but it felt appropriate ...)

I think there is some benefit to not having much time between the alarm bell ringing (the chest pains) and having the op - I think you would see many posts here about the understandable anxieties and fears people have ahead of the surgery itself, so the less time spent waiting the better, in my opinion. And it certainly looks as if you put that time to good use.

I too live alone, and had a friend come and stay with me for a few days to keep an eye and make sure I didn't do anything I shouldn't. Listen to your body - you're doubtless finding that you snooze a lot, but just go with it. A more normal sleep pattern will return in time. I bet the dogs will be pleased to see you
Hi and welcome

I encourage you to push for self testing and probably self administration (as I understand its called in the USA). In Australia we just do our own thing and either use labs (if we want to) or get a Roche Coaguchek and self test. I do the latter.

Some reading for passing the time :)

https://cjeastwd.blogspot.com/2014/09/managing-my-inr.html
its quite an amount, but I'm presently making something bigger and hope to publish it as an eBook soon.

Best Wishes
Thanks for the read. I'll need to revisit it when my brain isn't mush. I do plan on self testing. I think the doctor wants lab testing so the results go directly to him. It seems after it's regulated hesgood with home testing.

I too live alone, and had a friend come and stay with me for a few days to keep an eye and make sure I didn't do anything I shouldn't. Listen to your body - you're doubtless finding that you snooze a lot, but just go with it. A more normal sleep pattern will return in time. I bet the dogs will be pleased to see you when you're able to go home!
Spiffing! I don't believe I've ever seen its written in a sentence. I've heard it in conversation. I like it.
Sleep and I don't get along well. I'm trying to take things easy. It's not really in my nature. It seems I'm going to be forced to learn the behavior. At the end of the evening tonight, my body said nope. Sorry. You've done too much. It was all I could do to drag myself to my bedroom. Then I had to figure out how to get into bed. Not my finest hour. I'm really grateful for good friends. They know I don't like asking anyone for help. They've basically put me in a spot where I've no choice but accept aide. I'm learning. They better hope I don't get too used to it. I may never leave. Meals cooked, laundry and shopping done, flat cleaned, etc. Now if I could get comfortable being a slug...
How long before you felt comfortable being alone?
I admit the thought is scary. That feeling is lessening but it's still here. I believe I need to learn about this patience thing. It's foreign, though with practice probably attainable. :)
You mentioned the pups will probably be happy to see me, be home. I'm not sure they'll really care. They are on holiday in warm, sunny Florida. They are staying with their co-owners so they're pretty happy. Again, this is where that patience thing applies. I appreciate the words of wisdom.
I'm trying to adhere as best I can.
In orher news, spiffing is definitely going to be one of my words of the week. I haven't heard it in so long. I'm liking it.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum MIB. Always glad to see another southerner on the site.......and from an SEC school city no less. INR stumps new people a lot.......and even some of us who have been on warfarin for years ever so often. The basic thing to remember is....1. Take the warfarin as prescribed (a seven-day pill box helps a lot).....2. Test INR on a regular schedule (every week or two)....3. Eat and drink your normal diet but try not to binge on dark green vegies or alcohol. Other than that just enjoy your new lease on life.

Go "Cats"......I couldn't resist.
Cats..I guess when you're in Kentucky it's the thing to do.
While I live in Auburn, my heart's in Tuscaloosa. Hence, ROLL TIDE!!! No war-eagle in this house. :)
INR will just take some getting used to. I'm really having trouble with the fact I'm taking rat poison willfully.
There is a big plus. I have a great reason to refuse to eat spinich, brussel sprouts, collards, kale and the other foods. Doc's orders that stuff is not good for me. I'm for sure going to get a 7 day pill box. There are too many meds to be sure I'm not messing up. Taking the warfarin at the same time every day will be hard. It's just not my nature. I'll be learning that skill along with patience. I'm a step ahead since I quit alcohol long ago. No reason except I'd rather eat the calories in bbq or mac'n' cheese. Thanks for the tips. All help is welcomed. I think I need to work on that sleep thing. :)

INR will just take some getting used to. I'm really having trouble with the fact I'm taking rat poison willfully.
many things which are apparently toxic are considered cures in the right amount.

many things which are considered foods will kill you in the wrong amounts

biochemistry and pharmacology are both interesting subjects. So what if its also used as rat poision. When the apocalypse comes I'll be hoarding it (and 44mag and 3030 shells).

1675683175491.png

I lived in Finland some years ... my friends sent me this post card after my surgery
1675683272524.png

I love black humor.

Life is Absurd ... enjoy it

Last edited:
many things which are apparently toxic are considered cures in the right amount.

biochemistry and pharmacology are both interesting subjects. So what if its also used as rat poision. When the apocalypse comes I'll be hoarding it (and 44mag and 3030 shells).

View attachment 889068

I lived in Finland some years ... my friends sent me this post card after my surgery
View attachment 889069

I love black humor.

Yep. Too much air is a bad thing too: https://abcnews.go.com/Health/man-impaled-air-hose-enjoying-inflated-reputation/story?id=13693534

(And this was one of the less shocking stories I found!)

View attachment 889068

View attachment 889069

I love black humor.

I understand the science, and I shall continue to embrace the lunacy. That doesn't mean my brain won't think these thoughts. So much else to worry about now. I know it's supposed to get easier. I'm banking on that thought.

Spiffing! I don't believe I've ever seen its written in a sentence. I've heard it in conversation. I like it.
Sleep and I don't get along well. I'm trying to take things easy. It's not really in my nature. It seems I'm going to be forced to learn the behavior. At the end of the evening tonight, my body said nope. Sorry. You've done too much. It was all I could do to drag myself to my bedroom. Then I had to figure out how to get into bed. Not my finest hour. I'm really grateful for good friends. They know I don't like asking anyone for help. They've basically put me in a spot where I've no choice but accept aide. I'm learning. They better hope I don't get too used to it. I may never leave. Meals cooked, laundry and shopping done, flat cleaned, etc. Now if I could get comfortable being a slug...
How long before you felt comfortable being alone?
I admit the thought is scary. That feeling is lessening but it's still here. I believe I need to learn about this patience thing. It's foreign, though with practice probably attainable. :)
You mentioned the pups will probably be happy to see me, be home. I'm not sure they'll really care. They are on holiday in warm, sunny Florida. They are staying with their co-owners so they're pretty happy. Again, this is where that patience thing applies. I appreciate the words of wisdom.
I'm trying to adhere as best I can.
In orher news, spiffing is definitely going to be one of my words of the week. I haven't heard it in so long. I'm liking it.
Thanks
In terms of coping alone, I was lucky in that I already had an electric reclining sofa and so could sleep in that, adjusting the angle inch by inch as needed, and easier to get in and out of than a bed. The organisation I work for was also very supportive - no pressure to rush back to the office.

I lived on supermarket food deliveries and microwave convenience meals, and no dogs to have to attend to. My normal doctor's clinic and pharmacy were within easy walking distance, and living in London public transport to hospital appointments was readily available.

Wishing I was in Southern Florida too right now! Temperature below freezing here tonight - normally I would be on the Spanish island of Gran Canaria, off the coast of Africa, for some winter sun for the first half of February, but can't afford it this year. Oh well.

I understand the science, and I shall continue to embrace the lunacy. That doesn't mean my brain won't think these thoughts. So much else to worry about now. I know it's supposed to get easier. I'm banking on that thought.
Just trying to be encouraging, positive thinking

Latest posts

Back