Newbie here. Just got out of the hospital today

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enigmalady777

Hi, newbie here. Just got home from the hospital today (MVR was done 3/29/18) and boy I can say I didn't expect to be this wiped out!! I know it takes time, and it will get better, but having little help around the house is taking it's toll on me. Words or encouragement are all appreciated, lol.

Hang in there, but I would suggest finding a family member or friend who can maybe stay with you for a few days or more. When I got home I couldn't even open the refrigerator by myself. The pain hurt my sternum far too much to pull the door open. Also since you live alone it sounds like, maybe check with your insurance they may cover having a nurse come check on you at home. Mine did. They sent a nurse to check on me several times and even a physical therapist to come and walk with me to help recovery.

Hi

and welcome ... to the "other side" :)

Enigmalady777;n882715 said:
...Just got home from the hospital today (MVR was done 3/29/18) and boy I can say I didn't expect to be this wiped out!! I know it takes time, and it will get better, but having little help around the house is taking it's toll on me. Words or encouragement are all appreciated, lol.

well knowing that is more than half the battle won. Winning happens first in the mind and next in execution.

I dunno how old you are but having done it a couple of times (once with little help at all, but younger) I understand that it feels ****.

Take everything on a new time schedule (who cares if it takes 3 times longer to make coffee , you have nothing else to do and it'll taste all the better (well actually it may not because some people get altered tastes after surgery for a bit ... but you know what I mean ;-) ...

It gets better faster and by next week you'll be better off.

Don't over do it, carry only small things, and don't lift high. Don't fuss over things and take plenty of breaks.

Other than that ... how are you feeling?

Welcome to the other side. Reading your post reminded me how wiped out I felt post surgery but today it is a distant memory, much like giving birth. I returned to work after 8 weeks mainly because I had pleural effusion, which needed to be drained twice as an outpatient. That was the worst part of recovery for me. Thank goodness (and Hank) for this side. The folks here are so supportive. Glad you found the site. Wishing you a speedy recovery with no complications.

How well I remember being "as weak as a kitten." I was 63 at time of surgery, and was in pretty good shape for my age. Once I returned home, I found that I could do more things than I expected to be able to do, but it took me much longer than it did before surgery, and I needed to stop for rest often. It just happens that way. You will be excruciatingly aware of this. What you probably will not notice is the progress you make in returning to normalcy. The progress happens every day, in tiny increments, so that we often just don't realize it has happened.

As pellicle mentioned, just take your time. The first couple of weeks of recovery, we really don't have much else to do. I couldn't even walk to the corner and back. I did manage to walk all through the house and up/down stairs, though - just slowly. Eventually (once we addressed some of my complications of surgery) things began to gain speed.

The main point is not to lose confidence. You WILL heal. There is nobody here who did not. (OK, pellicle, if they didn't heal they wouldn't be here. . . )

epstns;n882739 said:
The main point is not to lose confidence. You WILL heal. There is nobody here who did not. (OK, pellicle, if they didn't heal they wouldn't be here. . . )

I have heeled (especially when my wife told me to), but the bacteria is more of a Shrodinger issue

all_of_my_relationships_are_in_a_quantum_state_melamine_plate-re64d0955411e424cbb5931e3b2d81474_ambb0_8byvr_324.jpg

I just won't know till I "open the box"

:)

Welcome too! I live alone and so understand what you mean about it being tiring when you are just out, but had a friend stay with me for a few days to both make sure I didn't do things on auto-pilot that I shouldn't do, like lifting things over 10 pounds or reaching up to kitchen cupboards (I had a pacemaker inserted too because of surgical complications and you have to avoid putting your arms up). But on the plus side you can rest when you want without interruptions.

I have to say that I was very impressed with a briefing given at my hospital about what to expect with the surgery, and the recovery period afterwards. They gave a booklet to take home with it - if you think you need any more info let me know and I will scan it in. One tip was not to make any big decisions in the first three months after surgery - they described it as the body diverting energy from other parts to effect repairs on the bits of the body the surgeons played with, and that the biggest consumer of energy is normally the brain. Therefore your concentration is limited, even watching a whole TV programme episode was a challenge, and you shouldn't try and decide anything life changing!

The biggest issue for me was sleeping. I sleep on my side, which of course you can't do with a fresh scar down your chest. I found an electric reclining sofa enabled me to get into the best position. Also, don't stand and chat with people whilst out walking! The lack of movement of the legs reduces blood circulation and puts strain on the heart, and is very tiring! Listen to your body: exercise gently and rest often, and before you know it you will be back wrestling! (Just kidding ... I think)

Last edited:
I'll echo what Andy says about concentration. I am an avid reader, and I thought it would be great to have all that time to read for the first month or so. Well, I had the time but not the interest or ability to concentrate. Even watching TV was more of a pacifier than anything else, as I seldom kept track of the plot lines. I finally just decided to roll with it and not worry about it. Somewhere about 4 or 5 weeks out, I came back to the surface and had some ability to concentrate. That's a good thing, as I went back to work part-time at about 6 weeks.

One thing I was surprised about was how I could do more things than I expected to be able to do. I just couldn't do them for very long. I could walk up and down the stairs in the house with no issue at all. I was afraid that I would have to group my errands, but after the first couple of weeks, I just did what I needed to do. The stairs probably helped me to get back to more normal activity.

One trap I almost fell into. . . when my wife and I were out for one of my first outdoor walks, I felt good for longer than I expected, so kept going. I almost went so far as to be too tired to get back! Be careful that you don't tire out on the way out and need a place to rest before going back.

There are a million tricks, but none of us need them all. You'll find your way, I"m sure. Just be patient with yourself, listen to your body and don't over-do it. It may feel great to do something today, but tomorrow you may pay for it. We've all been there.

Same thing happened to me re: the walking. I went out for a walk, felt great, and then had to sit on the curb and wait because I just couldn't walk back! I couldn't even open a door or wipe my counters. You will get stronger every day. Just take it very easy. At first, just walking around my house was a big accomplishment! However, several weeks out I was running 3 miles on the treadmill at cardiac rehab.

Latest posts

Back