Newbie and Slated for Surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enzo & Ziti

Well, I can't put it off any longer...I've known about my BAV disease since I was 18 and now at 45 my ascending aortic aneurysm has passed the magic threshold for surgery. I'm scheduled for July 2008 at Cornell Weill Medical in NYC, but the reality of the procedure still hasn't quite hit home.

I know I am in good company and certainly not unique in this experience, but was wondering if any of you had any "I wish I had done that before my surgery" thoughts you might share?

Welcome to VR,

First let me say you have a great state.I love to visit.

Next if you have a medical team you trust then I say "Get er done" ASAP and do not worry.The folks on VR convinced me that the wait was the worst part if you spent your time worrying.Instead get all your questions answered so you know what to expect and enjoy the days leading up to surgery doing as much fun stuff as possible.

To answer your question I wished I had spent less time worrying. Other than that I have no regrets.:) Make sure your post any question or thought. That is what VR is for.

Welcome and I'm glad you found us before surgery. The information you find here should ease your way. Please let us know the date in July and we will be glad to add you to our surgery calendar.

Welcome to the forums! Come back often, read a lot, it really helps.

About the reality hitting home--almost every day before my surgery a wave of disbelief went through me as I thought "I'm going to do THIS?".

My two regrets are that I didn't keep up my regular walking and exercise in the month or so before surgery (because of other things going on, not medical), and that we didn't take the opportunity to get a tour of the cardiac unit beforehand, since neither of us was experienced with the hospital environment.

Best wishes.

Hi, and welcome!
I agree with CP; I wish I had spent less time worrying.
Try to enjoy this time before replacement and live and love as much as you can.

Welcome to the site. Glad you found us. Like other, I wish I worried less and enjoyed life more. I had never been seriously sick or injured before so this whole thing was a big eye opener, and a life altering experience. Now I proritize what's important differently by trying to enjoy life one day at a time, and not letting the little things get in the way. Best wishes and good luck.

They're all correct. Just get it done. Remember to keep exercising, if the docs allow it, as your recovery will be easier.

I don't have my date yet- but it will be soon. Like you, I am wondering the same thing. But then, I decided that sounded to "fatalistic". I am a terrible worry-er and even though I told myself I am not going to do that- I will! But I will know I am in good hands, my faith will see me through and on the other side, I will be ready to begin the second phase of my life.

(BTW, I thought of that TATOO thing too!):D Can you not get one after a mechanical valve? :confused:

I don't have my date yet- but it will be soon. Like you, I am wondering the same thing. But then, I decided that sounded to "fatalistic". I am a terrible worry-er and even though I told myself I am not going to do that- I will! But I will know I am in good hands, my faith will see me through and on the other side, I will be ready to begin the second phase of my life.

(BTW, I thought of that TATOO thing too!):D Can you not get one after a mechanical valve? :confused:

I don't want to down play the surgery it is major stuff, but in the hands of a good surgeon and hospital everything will be fine.

I am into tattoos and wish I had gotten one last tattoo before being put on anticoagulant medicine after surgery. From what I hear it is a no-no to get tattoos on anticoagulants, it bleeds more and may become destorted. I still want more, I am going to talk to the doc and my tattoo artist to see if she has any experience with it. But if you have an idea of what you want get it now.

Latest posts

Back