New Valve with replaceable leaflets

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lionheart

There is a new two-piece valve under development that allows for removal and replacement of the bioprosthetic leaflets as they wear out.

The valve is surgically implanted and contains a "docking station" that is sewn in as normal and after many years when the bovine leaflets calcify they can be removed and replaced by transapical catheter or an incision through the aorta. This allows the leaflets to be replaced as they wear out without having to remove and resew the "docking station" ring.

components.JPG

Read more at the company website: ValveXchange.com
or this article in a Minneapolis newspaper

John

This is a brilliant idea but, with my luck the removable parts would com off and float off to some place that they did not belong!:D

Lettitia

Somehow I dont think those tiny "clips" would stand the test of time ? I'm with Lettitia on that one. Looks too much like it might just ping apart if life got a little vigarous !?

Interesting.

Did anyone notice the fine print?

Notice: ValveXchange, Inc. products have not been approved by the U.S. FDA or any other Regulatory Agencies. This website contains forward looking statements which represent management's best judgment, but are speculative and may not occur as projected or not at all.

This would obviously be a fantastic breakthrough if it works out. I think we should all keep an eye on this and reserve judgement until all the facts are in.

hopefully this kind of thing will happen in the not to distant future,great breakthrough if it all works out,a lot of money is being spent on valve replacement and hopefully there will find an easier way to go about it,this one looks promising

I noticed at the company's website that this valve is being tested at Colorado State University's vet school in Fort Collins, CO.

Anyone here have any dealings with the vet school and who could inquire about this valve?

(I do know some people in the Denver area who use the vet school's services and perhaps can get them to inquire about this. Don't know if school employees will be liberty to disclose any info, though.)

Interesting.

Did anyone notice the fine print?

Notice: ValveXchange, Inc. products have not been approved by the U.S. FDA or any other Regulatory Agencies. This website contains forward looking statements which represent management's best judgment, but are speculative and may not occur as projected or not at all.

Yes but I didn't want to appear as though I were shooting it down before it had a chance.

Isn't that the way all innovations happen though? Takes a lot of experimentation, time trials, etc before anything every gets approved. Just nice to see folks are always working on what may be the next great great advancement.

Yes it is! It's just that sometimes, it's very upsetting because it looks so very promising, people place bets on it, then it fails.

I was thinking the same as Lettitia about the leaflets falling off and floating away, then causing a blockage that results in an amputated leg or something!

However, it sounds like a great idea. I hope it works out. As the FDA takes forever to approve anything, and this is still in the testing stages, it could be awhile, but think about how far we've come!

I was thinking the same as Lettitia about the leaflets falling off and floating away, then causing a blockage that results in an amputated leg or something!

However, it sounds like a great idea. I hope it works out. As the FDA takes forever to approve anything, and this is still in the testing stages, it could be awhile, but think about how far we've come!

That was my thoughts about Justin as well, since he managed to get a pic line stuck in his arm, have to have a pacer removed because it was malfunctioning and almost had a stent work its way thru his pulm artery and other rare things that never happen, I just know if he had this valve even if the chances were really really small, he would have a leaflet fall off

Yes it is! It's just that sometimes, it's very upsetting because it looks so very promising, people place bets on it, then it fails.

Lots of people were very excited about Exanta, with the prospect of not having to worry about INRs, testing, etc. And that bubble got burst.... However, perhaps in time something else will come down the pike that will hold up to its promise.

And maybe new valve that's trying to find its way into the wings might make it. I **will** ask my in-law about this innovative device.

Good comments. The neat thing for me and the reason I posted this was that it takes an innovative approach to a current problem. No doubt this valve is a long way off from human trials and we should take the current info. with a grain of salt as it is likely originating from the manufacturer; but, I find their approach refreshing.

John

It is an "interesting concept", but my Non-Professional GUESS is that Human Trials are a Long Way Off and will probably take place on another Continent.

Anybody want to start a Poll on "Who would be willing to try this New Valve IF it were to be made available now"?

I'd be interested in seeing the results of such a survey!

'AL Capshaw'

they'll surely be doing years of animal testing first, which got me to thinking.....which
animals. pig hearts are similar to humanoid hearts, such that valves and entire roots
are implanted. what if they install one of these into the piggie portion prior to planting?
(tis true, i'm alliterate) would that extend the life of porcine implants? i'm assuming
it's the valve leaflets that go bad and need replaced.

from what i read they're a biomedical startup, currently seeking financing to start
clinical trials. who wants to bet they're on edwards short list of potential future
acquisitions?

It is an "interesting concept", but my Non-Professional GUESS is that Human Trials are a Long Way Off and will probably take place on another Continent.

Anybody want to start a Poll on "Who would be willing to try this New Valve IF it were to be made available now"?

I'd be interested in seeing the results of such a survey!

'AL Capshaw'

People don't take this the wrong way, but if I didn't know what I know today about heart surgery, I think I would give it a go.

Sounds like a very promising idea. This sounds like it would solve the problem that the catheter valves have of being too small for athletes. I am assuming that it means the first time the valve is replaced via OHS.

Brian would have died if it weren't for recent medical advances, so while not all good medical ideas come to fruition, there are plenty that do.

Back