New to site and pre-surgery for BAV

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorthWoods

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Greetings all. Came across this wonderful site after visiting my surgeon, who will be replacing my BAV with severe aortic stenosis.
Had a great childhood, no issues.. adult life, still no issues except over the years, it has been getting more and more difficult to stay active. Run out of breath easily, sleepy during the day and the occasional palpitations.

Surgery has been scheduled for the 25th of February 2021. Since I am currently 48, I'm looking for a life-lasting mechanical valve and have to choose between the St Jude valve or the On-X.

Welcome to this site. You will find many of your questions answered here........even a bunch that you haven't thought of yet. I agree with your choice of a mechanical valve to reduce the need for another surgery at a senior age. Both valves you mention have been around for years and you will find a lot of posts about either on this forum. (y)

Anticipation is the worst. This site is good leading up to surgery. Even better after surgery. Nobody can tell you exactly what to expect because we’re all different and respond differently. We can and do share how things went for us along with pro-tips for recovery!

As far as St. Jude vs On/X - the designers of the On/X are former St. Jude people. The only thing I fear is their claims of lower INR as being a good thing. Lower is not necessarily better. Strikes me as marketing playing on fears of warfarin. But that’s just opinion talking. And 30 years without incident maintaining a range of 2.5 - 3.5 INR. 1.5 - 2.0 just sounds scary to me. Admittedly anecdotal evidence. Others think razor nicks sound scary at my levels and 1.5 - 2.0 helps them sleep at night.

And really, whatever you do will be better than what you have so choose what you think will help you sleep at night. Then don’t look back.

Welcome. Best of luck with your surgery. I found this site about ten years ago and I'm still waiting for surgery. Don't think Ive read it all yet 😁 Its a great site.

If I go mechanical Id opt for Onx but would would insist on a standard AC therapy. going slightly high or slightly low at an INR OF 2.5 is ok. normal even.. Going low at an already low INR would not be for me. 😨

All the best,

P

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. It's such a great feeling to know most everyone here is or has been through the same things at some point in time.
Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here!

Just chiming in to say hello. This is wonderful site to get support and input. I can't help with choice of mechanical, but as the saying goes, any new valve is better than the current stenotic one we have.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Hello, and welcome to the site. It was a lifesaver for me when I had my surgery, although I mainly lurk and watch as of late. I can't really help with the valve choice, except to say that I have a Carbomedics with no issues at all. I think all are good choices, and as Ottagal said, any is better than your current selection!

Welcome! As you have seen, everyone here is helpful, informative, and "gets it". as Superman said: whatever you do will be better than what you have so choose what you think will help you sleep at night. Then don’t look back.
The waiting and pre-decision time can be the hardest.
Please keep visiting and keep us posted.
Stay well.

Hi NorthWood,
Thanks for joining us. Best wishes for your preparations for surgery. I see similar excellent long term results in the journal articles for each modern mechanical valve. There doesn’t appear to be one that should be avoided or one that should be recommended to everyone.
Happy to discuss any questions you have. Every question you have is probably also being pondered by many other people who are in similar shoes.

Thanks for sharing your story. I'm 53 and like you, BAV pre-op. They are checking me every six months, but so far no need for surgery, although that day will surely come.
Best of luck with your surgery and recovery. You have come to the right place for support and shared experiences.

I had my BAV OHS 1month ago. This site is a wealth of knowledge. Hard to believe that a month has gone by. I agree with Superman, make a decision and don't look back. Hang in there and be proactive with your care.

Latest posts

Back