New to forum - MV replacement due May 17th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris M

Hi all. I am a newbie here but I've been lurking and reading the forums for a while now. It's probably time I introduced myself as I am scheduled to have my surgery in just over 2 weeks time - admission on May 16th for surgery on May 17th. Eek!

Brief history: I'm a 56 year old female living in England. In July last year, after a series of tests and a consultation with a cardiologist, it was confirmed that I would be needing a replacement mitral valve. My problem apparently stems from a childhood illness (the nature and date of which is unknown to me, I must have been very young) - the valve was left damaged and scarred from that event and has since deteriorated further with a further fifty-odd years of use and stenosis. This is a very long standing problem but one which I was completely unaware of until last year when my SOB and fatigue became more noticeable and I finally went to my GP with these symptoms.

It seems that my mitral valve is leaking significantly, my heart is slightly enlarged (hopefully not permanently) as a result of having to work harder and I also have significant pulmonary hypertension (ditto). A repair is not likely, given the valve's poor condition, so I have decided to go for a mechanical valve replacement.

I'm going in for my pre-op assessment tomorrow (Tuesday) so I'll get some more information about my hospital stay then, I imagine. In the meantime I have been making a few preparations for going into hospital and subsequent convalescence. I have a wonderful husband who is helping and supporting me every step of the way and two grown children who I'm sure will do whatever they can to help (transportation, housework etc.) so I have a good support system behind me.

I can't think what else to say for now but I'm sure I will be able to draw strength from this community to get through this and perhaps to help others myself in future when the worst of all this is behind me. Loved ones are great but they can't always understand what goes on in one's head sometimes so it's fantastic to be able to speak to other people who have been through this particular situation themselves too. The last nine months of waiting have been just awful for me (blind terror just about describes my feelings!) but I *think* I'm feeling a bit more accepting now that I have a date.

Thanks to whoever set up this wonderful forum and thanks all of you for listening and for caring!...

Hi, and welcome, Chris.
It looks like you'll have your surgery a day before new member Marc, both on the mitral valve, so you'll be able to compare surgical experiences post-op.
Best wishes going forward and please stay with our group to keep us informed of your progress.

Hi Chris and Welcome.
Happy you found us but sorry for the reason.
I have had two OHS in four years, the last being mitral valve replacement with bovine tissue valve placed three years ago.

I'm doing fine and have no restrictions.
Many of us here, as I am sure you have read, think the waiting was the worst part of this experience. The anxiety and worry and stress pre surgery can be very unsettling. If you think some medication would help you through these last few weeks pre-op, speak with your doctor when you seem him/her.

Hope if you have any questions with which we can help, you'll just ask. There is almost always someone here who has some knowledge or experience about most issues that commonly arise.

Best wishes.

Hi, I am in a similar position to you (at 58) - odd symptoms last june - diagnosed leaking Aortic Valve in January and long waits for tests since. I am hoping for mech AVR by end of June, but a little later would help my son with University open days. The waiting is definately the worst - I had a minor (But screamingly painful) condition a few years ago - I cannot imagine heart surgery will compare to that. We are going to have a great summer (even I hope here in NE England) so enjoy your recovery and make the most of the sun!

Hey Chris, I had my MV replaced 12 years ago. Did the mechanical valve. As far as the enlarged heart, I was in full congestive heart failure with a majorly enlarged heart. Once the new valve was in and working, it returned to normal size. Maybe less than two months. It was normal size before I was fully recovered.

Best of luck with the surgery and your recovery.

Herb

Thank you all for the welcome. I do appreciate your friendship and concern. :)

I have had a very long and tiring day at the hospital today but it's been fairly positive and helpful. I think all my questions have been answered and I have been passed as fit and well for surgery. Now all I have to do is wait for my admission date. I shall be away on a 4-day mini-break holiday next week so that will give me something to keep me busy and keep my mind off what is to come.

@Jkm7: Good to hear you are doing so well after a similar procedure, it does help to hear about positive experiences! Thank you.

@LeakyUK: I'm so glad to see another English member here. The NHS experience can be somewhat slow and peculiar (but generally very good) as I'm sure you know. In many ways I can't believe how long I have had to wait for this but am rather glad now that my surgery is not being performed in the winter months as I initially thought it would. I hope the timing of your AVR works out for you and fits in with your son's needs - good luck to him with his choice of uni, by the way - hopefully you will be getting him packed off to uni before those fees skyrocket too!!! ;)

@Herb: I have a touch of CHF (I think!... I've had so much information and subtleties of detail that I'm not always confident that I fully understand what's wrong with me!), though possibly not as bad as yours was so it is most heartening to hear that there can be a successful outcome in that area. Thank you! I'm so glad to hear all went so well for you. I'm not counting on it but I am hoping to experience a positive and noticeable outcome from all this, though I will happily settle for just getting a new valve to avert a premature demise. :p

Cheers,

Chris - I wish you all the best. I found the waiting time the worst -- terrifying really, so when it was done I couldn't believe the relief! It didn't take long for my heart to shrink back to normal size and my heartbeat after surgery is steady at 60 beats. Take it a day at a time and know that soon you will focus on healing.

Thinking of you,

@Greg: Thanks for the welcome! Do you know, I've looked all over for the calendar but can't find it... the link to "Calendar" goes to an area that stops at December 2010. So I'm curious... where is the calendar for upcoming surgeries please??

@Dale: Thank you so much for your encouraging words, it really does mean so much to me with my day fast approaching!!

@Marc: Hey, thanks, my friend! And the best of luck to you too! I'm sure that together we can beat these problems, get through this surgery in one piece and eventually happily get on with our lives. I'll see you on the other side of the mountain, as they say around here! I for one will definitely report back when I get home and when I feel up to it and I hope you will do the same. :)

Getting ready now

Getting ready now

Well, tomorrow afternoon I will be admitted to hospital for surgery on Tuesday May 17th. I've been doing what I can over the weekend to get the house clean and last minute visiting.

I've started my 5-day course of antibiotic shower scrub and ointment for inside my nose to deal with any bugs I might be carrying. How delightful (not!). And so it begins... :rolleyes:

I'm not taking much with me to hospital so my packing is mostly done now, except for a few last minute items. It's hard to believe that after so long the day is almost here... the prospect is both scary and exciting in a strange way... I so wish for this awful waiting period to be over, it's been far too long and mentally challenging for me. As others here have reported, I do feel fairly calm and accepting of the situation now.

I may be able to check back here later today but this post is really just to bid you farewell and to say that I will do my best to report back after the event, most likely when I get home in a week or so, if/when I feel up to it. Assuming all goes well I'll see you then!! :thumbup:

Best of luck. You are in good hands with both your surgery and your supportive family. I have my date on 7th June (Right in the middle of the exam season - but both my sons are highly confident of a succesful outcome). I also have the go in Monday, surgery tuesday kick out Sunday routine, and the nose drops and shower gel. Last minute garden tidying anf preparation for planting a Plum tree to remind me of future valversaries!

Last minute garden tidying anf preparation for planting a Plum tree to remind me of future valversaries!

You an Chris have GREAT attitudes and I wish you both easy procedures and quick recoveries:thumbup:.

LeakyUK....I am not sure about the "plum tree". I have moved at least half dozen times since my surgery and am not sure I could find the house I lived in when the surgery was done. Might be better to get a LONG lived potted plant:wink2:,

..........., I've looked all over for the calendar but can't find it... the link to "Calendar" goes to an area that stops at December 2010. So I'm curious... where is the calendar for upcoming surgeries please??
....................... I'll see you on the other side of the mountain, as they say around here! I for one will definitely report back when I get home and when I feel up to it and I hope you will do the same. :)

The calendar may now be a function of a "paid" member you may want to PM Hank for mre info http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/member.php?1-Hank

Latest posts

Back