new study Daily Low-Dose Aspirin Risks Seem to Outweigh Gains for Many

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lynlw

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/bleeding-risks-outweigh-heart-benefits-aspirin-study/story?id=16501311

For years, the advice for preventing heart disease has been simple: take an aspirin every day; it can't hurt. But new research suggests that patients taking the pills and doctors prescribing them may need to think twice about that advice.

The study, published today in the Journal of the American Medical Association, found that taking 300 milligrams or less of aspirin increases the risk of major stomach or brain bleeding by 55 percent, greater than previous research has suggested.

Italian researchers studied more than 370,000 hospitalized patients, looking for differences in how aspirin affects patients with diabetes and those without. But their findings apply to millions of people hoping to prevent heart problems with aspirin.

Of the more than 186,000 participants taking a daily dose of aspirin, researchers counted nearly 2,300 cases of gastrointestinal bleeding and nearly 1,300 cases of brain bleeding.

Dr. Antonio Nicolucci, one of the study's authors, said the results show that the risks of bleeding are much higher than what doctors had previously suspected after several clinical trials and should prompt doctors to carefully consider a patient's individual health before prescribing aspirin. ...more at link

Thanks for the post. Very informative. Though, I wonder how the usual 81mg (baby aspirin) affect the same group of patients. I wish they posted up a link to the Journal of the American Medical Association article for more details.

Interesting. To give it a little perspective, the numbers given equate to about 1.2% of the subjects developed gastrointestinal bleeding and about a .7% developed brain bleeding ( if i did my math correctly, that is!)
All good stuff to consider when one is trying to determine the risks vs the benefits of taking up to 300 mg of aspirin a day.

Thanks so much for the post and link Lyn. Since I'm diabetic, it's of course even more interesting and relevant to me. The discussion about the "protective" effect of diabetes of Aspirin related bleeding is pretty interesting. I tell you what, I think I like the argument of the authors a lot better that perhaps the antiplatelet effect of Aspirin is reduced inherently in diabetics, so let's not just toss it off (as argued by the other study mentioned) to most diabetics dying from stroke (non-hemorrhagic) before they have a chance to bleed! :eek2: :biggrin2:

Back