New procedure TAVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Hello, MY wife is 71 and in good health otherwise. She had Aortic valve AVR 15 years ago, and now needs it again . They used a human valve then , and it has calcified. They are giving her the option of a new procedure called TAVR -Transcatheter aortic valve replacement . However they say and research shows this valve insert only last s5 years at most.. OR full blown lengthy open heart surgery, to actually replace the valve and deal with calcification. She is borderline high risk due to her age, but otherwise in good health. It does not make sense they would suggest the TAVR... And does make sense as to why they would not consider minimally invasive surgery and use a pig valve ? Anyone else in the same situation?

I’m not in the same situation as your wife, though I have been near having a “re-do” surgery (AVR three years ago and valve is too small so it is already stenotic and surgeon has considered re-do - I am being followed up). I can’t understand why they are considering a TAVR for your wife since, as you say, she is in otherwise good health and TAVR has not been shown to last that long, and then what ? I should imagine that they say the other option is open heart surgery rather than minimally invasive surgery (which is still open heart but with a smaller incision) because there may be adhesions from your wife’s previous surgery and they will have to remove the previous valve and calcification so they may need the better access with the full open heart than they would get with minimally invasive surgery.

You haven't said where you are located. In the US, the TAVR is still not considered "standard of care" so I would ask why they are recommending it. If they are just trying to get patients interested in it so they can get more experience, I'd be skeptical. If they have a medical reason for the recommendation, you need to know what that is in order to make a sound decision.

I"m just a couple of years younger than your wife, and if I needed a second replacement, I would be planning on conventional surgery. I'm still tough enough to do it again, if the need arises, and your wife may be as well.

Back