New on the list

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

70sdiver

Been trolling the forum for a while and thought I would introduce myself.my name is Dan and I’m from eastern wa.I’ve been on the waiting list for about 5 years for an aortic valve replacement do to severe stenosis my doctor is thinking end of July or first part of August.I will meet with him in May and find out more details .I defiantly am scared I’m in fairly good shape tho still overweight I completely changed my diet nov 15 and have lost 59 Ibs I weight in at 249 and I’m 6’ tall 64 years old.I found the stenosis when I went in to a fib 7 years ago and I take flecinide and metpropol for control of The a fib.I think I want my surgery in Spokane at sacred heart but am open to all suggestions as to the best place to have this procedure done.

Been trolling the forum for a while and thought I would introduce myself.my name is Dan and I’m from eastern wa.I’ve been on the waiting list for about 5 years for an aortic valve replacement do to severe stenosis my doctor is thinking end of July or first part of August.I will meet with him in May and find out more details .I defiantly am scared I’m in fairly good shape tho still overweight I completely changed my diet nov 15 and have lost 59 Ibs I weight in at 249 and I’m 6’ tall 64 years old.I found the stenosis when I went in to a fib 7 years ago and I take flecinide and metpropol for control of The a fib.I think I want my surgery in Spokane at sacred heart but am open to all suggestions as to the best place to have this procedure done.
Welcome! You have come to the right place.

Welcome!

I'm pretty sure that he means the WA that is in the land of the free. Not the one that is under tyrannical rule by the Crown. :)

I too wondered where Eastern WA is! Very confusing when people use local terms on global sites, though the thing that confuses me most is when Americans write dates as MM/DD/YY whereas I think most of the rest of the world does DD/MM/YY. I must be getting old - the next thing you know I will be correcting people's punctuation .... :LOL:

Welcome!

I too wondered where Eastern WA is! Very confusing when people use local terms on global sites, though the thing that confuses me most is when Americans write dates as MM/DD/YY whereas I think most of the rest of the world does DD/MM/YY. I must be getting old - the next thing you know I will be correcting people's punctuation .... :LOL:
Well, then there's the whole deal about the metric system as well, 😀

This was the dead give away from his post:

"I think I want my surgery in Spokane at sacred heart"

I too wondered where Eastern WA is! Very confusing when people use local terms on global sites
its an American thing. In Korea (where I was once a student) it was always amusing when a Korean asked one of us where we were from, while a German would say Germany, a Finn would say Finland, a Dutchman "The Netherlands", a Canadian would say Canada and so on; the Americans would all say "City - State" (sometimes only one ... leaving an interesting guessing game) ... one of us would then have to tell the confused Korean that "No, Georgia is a State of the USA not the Country in Eastern Europe". Even after a whole semester and when on a trip to China with them I still heard this.

No matter where I've travelled (Japan, India, Korea, Finland, UK, Germany) it seems universal that Americans just can't grasp they are not still in the USA and answer something like "I'm from Maine" seemingly unaware that the entire planet is not intimately familiar with their every State and City.

Its worse (speaking over decades of internet usage) when they write on bulletin boards abbreviations for States like saying WA ...

Speaking idiomatically when discussing with foreigners is a sign of being nationally entrenched in idiom ...

"No, Georgia is a State of the USA not the Country in Eastern Europe"
Further confusing things is that the accents are so similar between the two Georgias! 🤣

It could also cause a bit of confusion when someone says that they are from Wales. If you don't clarify that you mean Wales, AU. People just might follow up with whether you know the Queen, especially if they are one of us thick headed Americans.

Which brings us to another issue. I sure hope that you and your band of rebels hurry up and declare your independence. I imagine that you will want to rename most of your provinces, which I believe must be a constant reminder of your fealty to the throne. Queensland? or perhaps one just gets used to it?

Last edited:
t could also cause a bit of confusion when someone says that they are from Wales

when in the UK I'd expect that saying "I'm from Wales" is sort of normal, but my experience when travelling internationally is they say "I'm from the UK" and then maybe add "have you ever heard of Wales"

We don't have a Wales in Australia ... we have a New South Wales ... which is only ever said as
  • "New South Wales"
  • NSW (soken as Enn Ess double you)
  • occasionally "New South"
WRT
I sure hope that you and your band of rebels hurry up and declare your independence.

OMG I hope that never happens ... it will bankrupt the country letting loose a bunch of rabid constitutional lawyers loose on re-writing the constitution.

Our current constitution is pretty amazing actually and is a triumph of minimalism.

Also we aren't goverened by the Queen and are indeed a Federation of States (like the USA) with the only 'vestige' of the Crown being that unlike you we don't have a President but a Governor (both Federal (who is correctly titled Governor General) and State) who is in theory the representative of the Queen. The Governor has very few powers

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor-General_of_Australia#Constitutional_role_and_functions
and while he or she is appointed by the Queen the Appointment process is that (usually the opposition party) nominates, the nomination is passed and sent to the Queen for approval. The Queen (to my knowledge) has no power to dismiss or appoint herself. (Good old Section 61 of the constitution)

HTH :)

OMG I hope that never happens ... it will bankrupt the country letting loose a bunch of rabid constitutional lawyers loose on re-writing the constitution
Agree with this, i do.

Dont change what what aint broken. But i feel as the older generational ties erode with time, we will ultimately head this way.

But i feel as the older generational ties erode with time, we will ultimately head this way.
I'm afraid I agree with you. Not that it matters to me, because I'll be dead by then. The younguns (insert ' where you feel appropriate in that word) can do what they like to re-imagine the place before ultimately China governs this part of the hemisphere (including us). Can you imagine all the of the modern twaddle they'll put in.
1618617217597.png

Latest posts

Back