New Official Surgery Date

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wanda,

I had my surgery in April, and was not allowed back to work until September. My job involved heavy lifting (nurse) and I was told the sternum needed at least 4 months to become strong enough for the kind of work I do.

A-M

Well, I may have a different story than everyone else....but like you, I had a problem with the research I did and it telling me that it might take that long to heal! I never really had any reservation myself, about what I could do....Within being home a week, I think I could have driven my car. (Who knows? I didn't try)...but my surgeon let me return to work at 3.5 weeks and my cardiologist disagreed, but I got my surgeon to write me a release and I went back. I sit behind a desk all day, so it was ok...but I also drove myself there. So, I am right now almost 2 months and been back to work over a month. I do feel more tired than usual, but that is getting better....as a matter of fact...I FEEL GOOD! I tell my doctor this! I guess I had been sick for so long...I forgot what it was like to feel good! To get out of bed with enough energy to face the day!
Sorry, I am rambling! I hope you have as easy of an experience with OHS as I did! I am going to pray you do and then you can get on here and tell ME how good you feel!

Mileena

Having a date is great. It's great news that angiogram was good, arteries clear - great news. I will be thinking of you and praying for your surgery on October 27th.

God bless,
Lori

I'm glad you got a new date and that your arteries are clear -- it's all that clean living!
Planning that trip to Ireland in the spring sounds like a lovely idea.
I am 8 months post op and I still get twinges around my sternum if I do too much lifting, swimming etc -- but I was allowed to drive at 5 weeks.
Soon you will finally be on the other side of the mountain at last! It's a horrible wait, but the results will be WONDERFUL.
Dalex

Thanks so much for the continued best wishes and thoughtful messages, everyone!! It is so heartwarming.
So, it seems the sternum healing will take anywhere from 3 months (best case scenario) to 8 months for full healing. Just trying to manage the expectations.:)

Thanks for the positive feedback Bina! Lucky 7!!!!

I am also trying to prepare myself for when to expect to return to work as it involves getting in and out of the car, carrying resources (sometimes) up and down stairs at different locations etc.

I guess I will have a better idea on healing when the surgery is done and over. I am sure the surgeon will also give me idea as well. I am just thinking too much!! :eek:

Last edited:
I think that had I been given 1 or 2 months notice, I may have driven myself crazier. ;)
My 2 weeks of pre-surgery notice ended up being shortened when the hospital called
after 12 days and said, "Come on Down, You're the Next Contestant in OHS." :)

Hi Ottawagal,
I'm so glad you got your date and that all is clear in there ;) I haven't checked back here in a while, but knew that you may be posting the date soon. Once you have it set, you've passed the first step. Having a to-do list is a great thing before you have surgery. I worked up until the day before, and it helped a lot. Keeping your mind busy is a great thing, however taking those times to breathe is also important. Well you could be a punk rocker for Halloween. I know I could have been with my post-surgery hairdo ;)

I went back to work after 6 weeks, and my sternum took a bit before it felt healed. I felt pretty much back to normal at 6 months. It's the sleeping pattern that took me a while to get back to normal, but that also came around 7-8 months after surgery. I drove after 4 weeks, but probably could have done it after 2-3 weeks. I was on my own at home after 2 weeks as well.

I will be praying for you and your family. Just listen to your body it will tell you what you are ready for :)

Take Care,
Erica

Back