New Milestone

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumoRunner

Last Sunday was a major milestone in my running history. I ran race #500 for my logs. I had run 140 prior to valve replacement in 1991 and 360 since. That's a bit more than one a month on average over 27+ years. There have been years I did only 3 or 4 and some I did over 30, but never one where I stopped, including before or after OHS. At 70 I can no longer run a continuous 3 miles without stopping to walk now and then, but it was a race and I did finish. I may have run about half the distance.

Wow Jack. I never counted my races but it's not even close to 500. That's awesome. And walking part of the race is OK because a race is about just getting to the finish.

Hi

SumoRunner;n885993 said:
Last Sunday was a major milestone in my running history. I ran race #500 for my logs.

Well done, I love to hear the good news stories :)

At 70 I can no longer run a continuous 3 miles without stopping to walk now and then, but it was a race and I did finish. I may have run about half the distance.

mate, I can't do that now and never could ... (also stopping to walk now n then) so at about 20 years older than me that's great!

Hats Off

Wonderful! You are an inspiration! Gives me hope. I don’t run nearly as much as I used to (life gets in the way) but I still try to run a bit a few times a week. My father is 73 and still runs marathons - he had not had AVR but I still think it’s amazing.

Race #501 was Jan 1st. The Hudson Mohawk road runners holds a Hangover Half-Marathon every year on New Year's day. No, I can't do 13.1 miles anymore, but there's a shorter companion run/walk that I've done about 25 times. It's a great way to start the year because it sets the tone annually with, "Hey, I'm still here."

It's billed as 3.5 miles but has never been measured properly and turns out to be 3.7 on most people's Garmin watches. I don't much care about that. Since I've done it before, I can compare to previous years. I was a minute faster than the last time, but this one included 2 full minutes pit-stop. I stupidly had a 20oz coffee on the way to the race, and part way through it I saw a port-a-john at a construction site, so I made an unscheduled side trip before continuing.

Next up, a swim meet on Jan 12 where I'll be doing the 50 yd and 200 yd freestyle. Another 70+ guy is signed up and if there are a couple more in the age group, we may enter a relay. Anything but butterfly stroke is OK with me.

Jan 12 swim meet results. I was first in age group 70-74 in both the 50 and 200 yard freestyle, also the only one. A big difference between running and swimming events is the participation rate. There are loads of people in every age group in running races, but often empty or single entries in pool swims. I also like open water swims. I joined a triathlon club a couple years ago to do weekly lake swims of 1/2 or 1 mile in summer.

Latest posts

Back