New members

Help Support ValveReplacement.org:

Warrick

Would it be possible for a section for new members to maybe make their first post and introduce themselves and perhaps where they are at medically if they wish ?
Or is that too invaisive?

I love seeing new members pop up but they are easily missed also.
What do others think?

Ladybug

Well, I’m fairly new here. I’m Ladybug. I’m a married 73 year old grandmother of 7. I live in Suwanee, GA. I have aortic stenosis from childhood rheumatic fever. I’m having TAVR on 9-5-19 at Emory St. Joseph’s in Atlanta. Because I pitched a fit, they are using the Sentinel filter to potentially prevent a stroke.
I’m in a Facebook TAVR group and today I learned that the Edward’s Sapien 3 Ultra was given a class 1 FDA recall because the deployment device has problems. 17 injuries and 1 death. The valve does great. It’s the balloon device that’s a problem. So, I’m a bit anxious, but my Dr has done 700 TAVRs. I’m as ready as I’ll ever be.

Protimenow

Welcome, Ladybug. A doctor with the experience you mention should be able to implant the device with no problems - if there was a problem with the installation device, he or she is probably well aware of it, and should be able to successfully complete the procedure.

I'm looking forward to a future post from you saying that everything went well.

Ladybug

Welcome, Ladybug. A doctor with the experience you mention should be able to implant the device with no problems - if there was a problem with the installation device, he or she is probably well aware of it, and should be able to successfully complete the procedure.

I'm looking forward to a future post from you saying that everything went well.
Thanks! I am anxious about a terrible cough and forceful throat clearing I’ve had for two years. I’m a lifetime non smoker and they have ruled out everything. I do have gerd and a bit of Barrett’s Esophagus, but I’ve also had seven weeks of left breast radiation and I fear this is a bit of permanent radiation damage to my left lung. I can hear crackles when I inhale if I’m laying on my left side. Sometimes the cough is so brutal I
burst blood vessels in my eyeballs. I’m afraid that when I have to lay flat for 4-6 hrs for this router-rooter procedure, I will drown in phlegm and dislodge the newly seated valve by hacking my guts out. Im on seven allergy meds for asthma. They don’t work. Rescue ventilator doesn’t work. Im thinking about trying to get a Medrol 5 day pack, but the Dr is not answering my time sensitive portal message that I sent days ago, as I know one does not typically mix prednisone with “surgery.” Any thoughts?

Attachments

Protimenow

If your doctor doesn't have on on call (and my primary doesn't), this is a real problem. If you don't hear form him or her by tomorrow, it may be time to look for another doctor. This sounds SERIOUS.

Protimenow

I doubt that, personally, I would visit such a forum. However, it probably makes sense for people who want to ask questions and have no other obvious place to ask them.

We already have brief profiles entered by all members.

carolinemc

We used to have a part where we told our stories of how we got the health issues, dealt with life and why we wanted to be here. I miss that page so much. I was there back in 2001, getting ready for my second bypass of my life and trying to get things done before the surgery. We need it again.

ottagal

VR.org Supporter
Are any others thinking there should be an Introduction Forum for the new members to be seen and recognized?
Yes, I think that is a great idea so new members don't get missed and lost in the online posts.

Protimenow

That's only good if current members are either motivated to read new member introductions, or just routinely read them
If new members aren't asking a question, or somehow appearing in another thread, it's likely that they might get missed.

Admin

Administrator
Admin
We used to have a part where we told our stories of how we got the health issues, dealt with life and why we wanted to be here. I miss that page so much. I was there back in 2001, getting ready for my second bypass of my life and trying to get things done before the surgery. We need it again.
Can you tell me more or what that area use to be called. How long ago was it since you saw that area?

Ladybug

I doubt that, personally, I would visit such a forum. However, it probably makes sense for people who want to ask questions and have no other obvious place to ask them.

We already have brief profiles entered by all members.
Being new, I didn’t know we could have brief profiles. I think it’s a good idea. Park it in a place where we can look up “Ladybug” and find out some human facts about the person. Helps with context.

Protimenow

Actually, this used to be a brief tag at the end of a person's post. Maybe it's been removed in this new version of the site. We used to be able to see, briefly, what kind of surgery (or other info) on a person's post. This information may still be in the 'Profiles' area on the home page.

Duffey

Me and Granbon
Can you tell me more or what that area use to be called. How long ago was it since you saw that area?
Hank had an area called Member’s Stories. It was on the Home page. It was on the forum when I joined in 2003, but disappeared probably by 2009-2010. Many of the members who had submitted their story decided that they didn’t like having so much of their personal information on display and asked Hank to remove it.

Admin

Administrator
Admin
That makes good sense about not revealing too much online. Especially in this day and age.

ottagal

VR.org Supporter
Hank had an area called Member’s Stories. It was on the Home page. It was on the forum when I joined in 2003, but disappeared probably by 2009-2010. Many of the members who had submitted their story decided that they didn’t like having so much of their personal information on display and asked Hank to remove it.
Good point Duffey.