New mechanical valve in evolution

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, it dawned on me today that members here could constitute a significant lobby group.
I wouldn't be surprised if people from the valve industry visited the forum, now and then.

This looks really hopeful: good for people like us, but absolutely lifesaving for the terrible burden of rheumatic heart disease in young people in the developing world.

This is one of the only reasons I sometimes think I should have waited to have my surgery which is scheduled for Feb. 6th. I'm supposed to have my valve repaired but the surgeon says once he's in there if it can't take a stitch he's going to have to replace it and I chose mechanical if it comes to that. I realize that new valves like this take years to get developed and approved but apparently my 4.8 cm ascending aneurysm is stable so I could wait. It is great to see these developments though.

"Thanks to a trans-disciplinary cooperation between fluid dynamics experts, basic scientists in molecular biology of thrombosis, material experts and surgeons, the goal of a mechanical heart valve not requiring anticoagulation therapy may become a reality. This provides immense hope for thousands of patients suffering from heart valve disease, particularly young adults, children and women of child-bearing age worldwide."

Wow.....just found this article. Unfortunately needing a valve in the next couple of months but very exciting for the future.

enkaynj;n857572 said:
As I was surfing the web for more information on the "Furtiva" valve referred in here, I came across this interesting article. http://www.lhi.umn.edu/about/c-walton-lillehei/index.htm
about the pioneers of OHS to whom we all owe a lot. Hope you enjoy it.

I certainly agree. The company that manufactured your valve(Edwards Lifesciences Corp.) was one of those early pioneers and was founded by a surgeon(Dr. Albert Starr) and an engineer (Lowell Edwards). Their design(Ball in Cage) was one of the more successful valves and was manufactured, with little change, until 2007 as Edwards Lifesciences transitioned to tissue type products.

BTW, I have one of their early "ball in cage" models that is 48 years old today(Aug. 16, 1967) and it is still going strong.

Latest posts

Back