New in this Forum and want some advise

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoseG

Hi, I'm from the Philippines. Actually, my husband is the patient, he is 48 yo. He was diagnosed to have RHD several years ago (5yrs ago). He was also diagnosed last 2008 with atrial fibrillation, and already started taking Coumadin. Recently, his echo result showed severe mitral stenosis and moderate aortic stenosis. His cardio advised him to undergo OHS and replaced his defective mitral valve and aortic valve. Since he is already taking Coumadin, he recommended mechanical valves. Though we were already expecting this (OHS) happening, we're kind of speechless when we heard it from his Cardio that the sooner doing this, the better while his heart is not showing any heart failure.

Knowing the process of OHS, I started having sleepless nights. Searching the internet on topics about valve replacement, I found this site. For several weeks of reading the postings in this site has somewhat relieve me from anxieties of the Open Heart Surgery procedure that my husband will undergo.

I've been to this site daily for a month now and it really helped me to have a positive view of undergoing the valve replacement procedure. But seldom that I found friends in this site that went through double valve (mitral and aortic) replacement. I hope you can give me advise on this. My husband is scheduled for OHS on Sept 8.

Thanks so much for your time!

Welcome to the group. I just had surgery 5 weeks ago for aortic valve replacement and pacemaker. There are many members on here that have had double valve replacements hopefully they will respond soon. I can tell you that there are many people that have had both valves replaced with mechanical valves and are doing great! People seriously report feeling better than they have in years!

I'll tell you that the recovery after surgery is different for every one. Give your husband a good year to recover. It's a very slow process for most. Of course he will improve every week but feeling great will probably take longer than 1 month for most.

Again welcome to the forum this whole open heart surgery will change both your lives for the better. YOU ARE NOT ALONE IN THIS. Many people have gone through all the ups and downs and in the end they are enjoying life better than before.

Welcome RoseG,
This is a great place with different opinions but all are best people to meet and know. We just share personal experiences and there are time when suggestions have to be made. I have been here since 2001, aoritc valve st jude valve since 09/13/2001. This was the place to got then and now. There are best opinions and information to be found here. We are one big family and I try to come when I can. I am displaced in the job departmen, but still can have proper health care still. You are in the right place in which we are from all places on earth. Never be afraid to ask questions here, we can help. Welcome again and come often. We do care.

Rose:
We do have some folks here who have had 2 valves replaced, sometimes at the same time, sometimes over time.
I would definitely recommend having surgery before symptoms are obvious. Your husband may actually be having symptoms and not realizing it. Folks who get into surgery before symptoms are obvious stand a better chance of having an easier recovery.
My symptoms were very obvious when I had my MVR in 2003. My husband had MV repair in 2007 (see my signature line below) and his recovery was much shorter.
We had previous experience with valve replacement in our family. My father-in-law underwent his 2nd valve surgery in December 1989. He had had his MV replaced in 1979; during the 2nd operation, he got 2 valves (aortic and mitral) in addition to 4 bypasses and other cardiac repairs. He was 74. His wife had died 4 years previously, so the two sons left a lot of details to me, meeting with doctors, surgeons, finding a rehab facility, et

Good luck with your husband's surgery. It can be daunting to be facing OHS, but it's necessary to get back to health.
Life is good!

Thanks guys for all your advise and encouraging words. My husband (Gerald) will be admitted tomorrow. Angiogram will be on Sept. 7 and the actual surgery will be on Sept. 8. Please include him in your prayers.

I will update you as soon as i can. Thanks so much again.

Sending you and Gerald all best wishes, Rose.

While it is overwhelming to think of this surgery, it is VERY do-able. I had two OHS in four years and am doing fine. We are so fortunate to have the choice of having this surgery. It's amazing what medical science has developed to help us.

Please let us know how Gerald and you are doing. We'll be waiting to hear from you.

What was the cause for both heart valves so young? My husband had radiation for Hodgkins and had aortic and mitral valves replaced in 2002. I think we waited 6 weeks or so from the the referral to the surgeon to the surgery is all. I did not understand the heart failure risk at the time, or pulmonary hypertension.

The heart surgeon said to do it immediately, as in get on the schedule NOW, vs. the cardiologist said to do it within the next six months. The heart surgeon was right, I am glad we did not wait any longer.

Welcome to the forum.

I assume the valves were damaged by rheumatic fever he had as a child (RHD reference).

I've had only one valve replaced, but I've had it done twice, so I will just offer that it's certainly doable. Everyone's response to surgery is different, but my own experience was that I was home three days after the surgery both times. My hope is that your husband's stay will be short also. However, regardless of what his experience will be, the result of not having the surgery is unacceptable.

Everyone who's had a Ross Procedure has had two valves replaced, and it's not all that uncommon for someone to have more than one valve replaced because of rheumatic heart disease, radiation treatments for Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, or connective tissue diseases that produce myxomatous (weakened) tissues.

There is a strong agreement among patients and surgeons that the best time to do valve replacements is before there is damage to the heart. If damage is present, then before permanent damage is evident in the heart. If there is permanent damage already, then before there is more. The stronger the heart is before the surgery, the faster and better the outcome is likely to be. Although I am not a doctor, I would certainly agree with your doctor that the repair should be done in time to avoid a diagnosis of heart failure.

Please be heartened: the success rate of this surgery is extremely high, and the results will give your husband's heart a much better fighting chance.

Best wishes,

Back