New here

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B-ryan

My name is Bryan. I was diagnosed with aortic stenosis at birth in 1972. I was a patient at Arkansas children’s hospital. They sent me to Houston Texas in 1980 to have a surgery done by Dr. Denton Cooley to open my aortic valve up. In 1989 I had my aortic valve replaced with a mechanical valve. So my valve is 33 years old this year and they say it’s still working well.

My name is Bryan. I was diagnosed with aortic stenosis at birth in 1972. I was a patient at Arkansas children’s hospital. They sent me to Houston Texas in 1980 to have a surgery done by Dr. Denton Cooley to open my aortic valve up. In 1989 I had my aortic valve replaced with a mechanical valve. So my valve is 33 years old this year and they say it’s still working well.

Born in 1972 as well, and 1990 for my valve replacement. I did not have the intervention early, though it was discussed. Parents opted for caution (no gym class or sports or anything). I’m up in snow country though. I was just telling someone today it’s hard to find folks to relate to because there aren’t too many that go in that young.

Welcome aboard! Good to have a kindred spirit here.

Born in 1972 as well, and 1990 for my valve replacement. I did not have the intervention early, though it was discussed. Parents opted for caution (no gym class or sports or anything). I’m up in snow country though. I was just telling someone today it’s hard to find folks to relate to because there aren’t too many that go in that young.

I never did the sports thing either except I did play little league. I have never met anyone around my area that has my problem.

Welcome, Bryan. Glad to have another long-timer on the forum. Glad that your valve is still working well......'ya can't beat these old valves. Mine is a Starr-Edwards, what's yours?

Born in 1972 as well, and 1990 for my valve replacement. I did not have the intervention early, though it was discussed. Parents opted for caution (llllllllllllllllllllllllllll
no gym class or sports or anything). I’m up in snow country though. I was just telling someone today it’s hard to find folks to relate to because there aren’t too many that go in that young.

When I had the orocedure do oo

When I had the procedure done in Houston, I was one of 12 kids from the US and one kid from Canada.

...I was just telling someone today it’s hard to find folks to relate to because there aren’t too many that go in that young.
that's the good thing about the internet, communities can be built despite us being geographically isolated. Sometimes I'd like to find out what the kids in my ward are doing now ... that was 1974 or something.

Hi Byron, welcome
I’m on ‘team St Jude’ as well.
Mines 6 years young and my father had his St Jude 36 years until he passed last year from an unrelated cause.

Last edited:
My uncle traveled to Houston as a last resort in 1977 for Dr. Cooley to replace an aortic aneurysm. Unfortunately he did not survive the surgery. Glad to know that you were a success story.

Latest posts

Back