New here, MV has "thickened" slightly

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gemini1968

Hi, just wondering if anyone else had MVP which progressed from no regurgitation to SLIGHT regur. and slight thickening. I was first dx at 13...now I'm 35. My echo last year was the first change. I was also diagnosed with a connective tissue disease and psoriatic arthritis in the last year...dr said the CTD could be affecting the valve...and to get another echo next year. The only symptoms I've ever had really are tachycardia from time to time (it's been a year since the last episode though).

My mom had her aortic valve replaced in 1997. SHe is now in the hospital after surviving a torn aorta...she had surgery JUST in time and they have her a 50/50 chance of survival. SHe is so strong and has been through so much.

Hello Gemini1968 and welcome to our home

I'm sure there are others here that will be along shortly to share their experiences with you. Yes there are others. Sorry to hear about mom and the aortic tear, I've been there myself and so have a couple of others here. It just serves to show that you can survive them, but it is tough on everyone involved.

Stick around and read around. Just wanted to let you know that your amongst the most amazing people you'll find out in cyberspace, as far as heart problems go, and to welcome you into the forum. :)

Hi Gemini-

I'm also a Gemini, but a little longer in the tooth than 1968.

This is a terrific place for valvers and those who love them. Great support, great info. and wonderful friends who really care.

Reading through what you posted, the word slight appears several times, and that's a good thing. It sounds like your doctor is going to keep track of things pretty carefully.

The very best thing you can do, and this is true for anyone, is to become very knowlegeable about your condition so that you are comfortable with how you are feeling. People with potential heart problems, however slight, need to recognize symptoms that might indicate a worsening of the condition. If your doctor is spacing your appts. out a year at a time, it's up to you to inform the doc when something feels differently to you. That way you can have it checked out and have some peace of mind.

So read, read, read. You have lots of time to educate yourself.

And hang around with us, it's a comfortable place to be.

Hi There From One Gemini to another!

Hi There From One Gemini to another!

Hi There Gemini,

Welcome to this fantastic site. I have only been with them since last July and I really feel quite at home here. I just found out that I have Mitral Valve Regurgitation and Cardiomyopathy and CHF and let me tell you, I know it's not fun. I am only 37 but suspect that I have had at least the valve issue for alot longer than last year, but I guess I just didn't want to admit it. It was only after I started really noticing the symptoms that I went to the doc to find out. I just wanted to welcome you and let you know that I am also a gemini with a bum heart. Take Care and Stay Well.. Harrybaby666:D :D :D :D

Thank you all! And so nice to meet other Geminis!

Yes, dr keeps using the work "slight", so that is heartening (no pun intended, lol)...and I try not to worry about the future...I guess after having NO change for so long I was shocked to hear it had thickened...no matter how slight. I don't want it to KEEP thickening of course.

Back