New here kind of a naive veteran

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geckley

Hello My name is Ghon pronounced "John". That isn't the only thing different about me either. Im 38 yrs old and have had a coarcation of the aorta when I was 2. I was diagnosed with Mitral Valve prolapse in 2005. By the grace of God my cardiologist knew several docs in the cardiology dept at Johns Hopkins. I had my Mitral valve repaired by Dr. Duke Cameron in July of 2005. Since then I've walked the right path lost over 50lbs quit smoking and stay as active as possible. Now it turns out my repair didn't hold and my Pulmonary blood pressure almost matches my regular bp. its over 100. I got the call from Hopkins last night that I will need surgery for a new valve. I'm getting an appt. with Dr Thomas Traill and Dr. Duke Cameron to discuss all of the options. You guys have already been a wealth of information and support and I've only been on for a few hours!!!!! I've been afforded the luxury be able to "train for my next surgery" My wife is expecting a baby boy any day now and he gives me overwhelming will to survive. Any info about what kind of Mitral valve I should choose please may I have some of your thoughts. Thanks again you guys Rock!!!

Welcome to the forum. As you said, it's a great place to learn a lot. I have to ask out loud though. What is with all these repairs failing?? Seems like we have seen alot of that. And given that they are supposed to last longer than mechanicals, it doesn't make sense. Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just curious.

Welcome, Ghon. I know it's a shock, but I'm glad you found us before surgery. Congratulations and best wishes for the baby- you have a very good reason to come through this with flying colors now!

Welcome to the family Ghon and congrats on becoming a new 'dad'.

I will not tell you which valve you should have.
May I suggest to talk to your doctor and see what he says about the different valves that are out there.

In my case I didn't have a choice, it either a repair or mechanical (surgeon words). At the time I didn't know there were tissue valves out there.

There is also many, many threads in regards of valves.

But don't you fret, your young and you'll do just fine.

At age 38, if you receive a Tissue Valve, you will almost definitely require a replacement, hopefully sometime in your 50's, which would be your 3rd OHS, and a possible 4th if you receive yet another Tissue Valve.

The Mitral Valve is more prone to Clot Formation than other valves. Of the Mechanical Valve Options, the On-X seems to offer the Lowest Rate of Clot Formation among other technological innovations over the older Mechanical Valve Designs. See www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com for details.

My first choice for a Mitral Valve Replacement is On-X with the St. Jude Masters Series as my backup plan.

Welcome to VR. Glad you found us. Sorry to hear your mitral valve repair didn't hold up. I had one, too, so naturally I am very sympathetic when I hear this news. Congratulations on your forthcoming addition to the family. Best wishes and good luck.

Ghon, what a wonderful term 'naive veteran'. that really did make me LOL. :D
It characterises my state of mind on finding VR.com earlier this year. Been through the surgery mill, quite knowledgeable, but needing to know more. I've had two AVRs, but know little about MVRs. Many on here do. You've landed in the right place. :) Welcome aboard. :)

welcome to VR, Ghon. you already know that you have landed in a mine full of information that will serve you well. Glad to have you. Blessins.........

ALCapshaw2 mentioned the ON-X valve. Add me to the happy customers list! Although mine was an aortic valve replacement

Good luck! You'll be fine

Back