New here - Getting ready for surgery 10/21

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill B

Hi:

I have BAV discovered only a year ago. I'm 61 and have been healthy as a horse all my life and was a track and marathon runner in my younger days. Anyway, a visit to the doctor last year for the first time after many years picked up a significant murmur and echo showed BAV with 1.1cm opening. 6 months later the echo showed 0.9cm, then in another 3 months it was down to 0.7 cm. I am very active and still asymptomatic except when I took some cha-cha lessons a few weeks ago, I got winded after 20 minutes.:)

My cardiologist is more of a wait and watch type, but I went to Stanford to see Dr. Craig Miller, Chief of CTS there, in July just for some information. He took an interest in my case, was surprised I have no symptoms, but recommended surgery before the end of the year. So, I scheduled it for October 21st after talking it over with my cardiologist too.

CT scan showed portions of my aorta are dilated (4.4cm), so I will be getting that grafted as well. Exactly how extensive is to be determined intra-operatively. Dr. Miller is pretty aggressive in this regard. Even though aortas of this size can be stable for long periods of time, he argues in a paper he authored earlier this year that the increased operative risk is minimal versus the risk of catastrophic aneurysms, one operation versus two, etc. I don't want to misquote him, but that's my understanding.

Dr. Miller strongly recommended a mechanical valve rather than biologic at my age. I asked him about the newer 3rd generation biologic valves, purported to last 25 years, and he didn't think there was evidence for that. I'm not looking forward to lifetime anticoagulation. Even though I was trained as a pharmacist, I've never taken any medication stronger than an aspirin in my life. Anyway, he said he will put in whatever valve I want, but strongly recommends mechanical.

Any input welcome.

I know this is major surgery, but it seems to have remarkably low risk of mortality, at least, and I think at Stanford, probably the best OHS place in my local area (San Francisco Bay Area), I'll be in very good hands.

I've lead a charmed life. This is essentially my first major personal challenge. I lost my brothers and parents and some friends prematurely to health problems and always felt a bit guilty to have had it so easy. I guess this will get me over that guilt in a hurry.

Thanks for being here.

Bill

Welcome, Bill! You seem to have matters well under control. As you will discover here, ACT (anti-coagulation therapy) is not the major problem that some make it out to be. I'm in a somewhat similar situation to you (I'm 60, BAV with dilated aorta) although my numbers are not yet where yours are, but I would prefer the mechanical option if I needed surgery at this point. Keep on posting and I'm sure you'll get a lot of valuable perspectives from the gang here on VR.com.

Best wishes,

Jim

Jim, thanks. When I got my first echo result, my cardiologist and I were hoping I might have stable disease as she says she has many patients who are stable for decades. But that does not appear to be in the cards for me. May it be for you.

On October 21st, have a dry one, no ice for me.

Best wishes too,

Bill

On October 21st, have a dry one, no ice for me.

Best wishes too,

Bill

You bet I will! BTW...stirred, not shaken.

Like you, I am loathe to take any medications at all. I do take a 325 MG aspirin daily but I've refused Lipitor and take nothing else. On the other hand, Coumadin, good old rat poison, would not bother me at all after a year of reading how it's done correctly on this forum (dose the diet, not the other way around). So Bill, have a look around here particularly on the anti-coagulation forum...I think you'll be surprised.

Next month I go for my next round of tests including an echo and CT angio...we'll see if things are stable or moving. I don't feature what I feel though including recent trouble swallowing...oh well

Knock em out on the 21st!

Jim

So Bill, have a look around here particularly on the anti-coagulation forum...I think you'll be surprised.

Next month I go for my next round of tests including an echo and CT angio...we'll see if things are stable or moving. I don't feature what I feel though including recent trouble swallowing...oh well

Knock em out on the 21st!

Jim
Good advice. My knowledge of ACT is old. I'm expecting things to go very well on the 21st and to just feel like I got hit by a train for few weeks.

Anxious to hear how your next round of tests go, and thanks for adding me to the calender.

Bill

Welcome Bill! You are among friends here. I'm glad you are going ahead and getting the surgery done before your heart develops permanent damage from chronic stress.

I'm 61 too. I had my mitral valve replaced with a mechanical a little over 6 years ago. I'm on warfarin and have been home testing since surgery. If possible, try to do the same. You don't need to feel tied to a lab or doctor's office. I think it is the next best thing to not having to be on it at all. If I was having the surgery now and had a choice between mech. or bio. valve I think I would go with the bio. Just my opinion. I wouldn't stress over it though....they are both good choices.

Make yourself at home.

Welcome Bill! You are among friends here. I'm glad you are going ahead and getting the surgery done before your heart develops permanent damage from chronic stress.
Hi Betty:

That was, in fact, the point my surgeon made today. Right now, my heart is only boderline enlarged and mildly hypertrophic. As to the warfarin, the surgeon mentioned less intensive anticoag is used now and with home monitoring. Thanks.

Why would you choose bio now? You're still quite young.

Bill, welcome and good luck on the 21st. Ill be there on the 13th...so ill try and tell you how that train feels. No , really, good luck, and i hope the best for you. Danny

Just wanted to say hello & to welcome you to VR. You sound well informed & ready to get this thing done & overwith. Good for you!

Having been on coumadin 30+ years myself, & leading a very active life, coumadin has never been a big issue if managed correctly.

I'm not sure exactly what your dr meant by saying " less intensive anticoag" because I know of no substitute for coumadin. That being said, many of us here have home monitors which makes anticoagulation management so much easier.

Wishing you the very best come Oct. 21st!

Hi Bill,

Just wanted to add a warm welcome and sorry for the circumstances. It looks like the VR October calendar is starting to fill up! Danny is a week ahead of you and I am a week behind you.

Good luck with everything and remember that there is always someone here to answer you questions or listen to your concerns.

Bill, glad to see you found this site, it is a huge support and help during this time of
your life. Sounds like you are checking out the options. My valve replacement was
mitral and I did not want to be on a blood thinner the rest of my like either, but after
a lot of research I went with mechanical (On-X) and I feel good about my decision,
do not want to do that surgery again if I don't have to. With your record of good
health you may live a long time! Welcome, Laura B.

I'm not sure exactly what your dr meant by saying " less intensive anticoag" because I know of no substitute for coumadin. That being said, many of us here have home monitors which makes anticoagulation management so much easier.

Wishing you the very best come Oct. 21st!
Norma:

Thanks!

I think he was talking about a lower target with coumadin, not a different drug. I probably won't find out more until after the surgery. I'm still somewhat on the fence about mechanical versus bio. Obviously mechanicals are good forever or close to it. BIG advantage. There does not appear to be any good support for the claims of 20-25 years for 3rd gen bio - they are too new.

BTW, GREAT pictures in your albums. You are quite a good photographer. Oh, and you know how to pick cardiac surgeons too - Denton Cooley, no less!

Bill

Hi Bill,

Just wanted to add a warm welcome and sorry for the circumstances. It looks like the VR October calendar is starting to fill up! Danny is a week ahead of you and I am a week behind you.

Good luck with everything and remember that there is always someone here to answer you questions or listen to your concerns.
Ottowagal:

Love your city! Spent a week there a little over 30 years ago. Had a memorable dinner at the Rideau Club (before the 79 fire), with brandy and Cuban cigars (not available in the US) after.

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery therefrom!

Bill

Hi Bill - what a great first post! Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you and your doctors have formulated a very good plan. I wouldn't even begin to advise of valve choice and coumadin. I'm just starting to make that decision myself. I am in the waiting room too - monthly visits with Cardiologist as my AV has begun to go South. Reading your situation I can see why they check often. It obviously can continue to go south quickly.

Again - welcome aboard and best of luck!

Rhena

Hi Bill - what a great first post! Welcome to the forum! Sounds like you and your doctors have formulated a very good plan. I wouldn't even begin to advise of valve choice and coumadin. I'm just starting to make that decision myself. I am in the waiting room too - monthly visits with Cardiologist as my AV has begun to go South. Reading your situation I can see why they check often. It obviously can continue to go south quickly.

Again - welcome aboard and best of luck!

Rhena
Hi Rhena:

Yes, it can go fast, but from my reading on the natural history, mine is about as fast as it can go. The average shrinkage in the valve opening in BAV is 0.1cm per year. I'm over 4 times that rate. So, it's usually a gradual decline over years, rather than months. Hope you do well.

Bill

Even though aortas of this size can be stable for long periods of time, he argues in a paper he authored earlier this year that the increased operative risk is minimal versus the risk of catastrophic aneurysms, one operation versus two, etc.

I could not agree more with his assessment. I'm a survivor of a ruptured ascending aortic aneurysm. Mine never made it to the magic 5.0 and blew around 4.7. You do not want to go there!

As far as Coumadin, go to www.warfarinfo.com and read your heart out. Anticoagulation is not the big bad monster that so many in the medical profession make it out to be. The truth is, most of the medical profession does not understand how to dose the drug, which leads to many of the bad things that you do read or hear about. Once you know what dose is correct for you, it's really simple. Also, don't buy into the garbage of staying away from things with high amounts of Vit K. Eat like you always have and dose that diet, don't diet the dose of the drug.

Anyway, come on down to the anticoag forum with your questions in that respect. We'll be glad to help you out.

Ross:

I appreciate your well-informed perspective and I'm weighing all the info carefully. The surgery is now a definite go for 10/21, so there will be no waiting for my aorta to start acting up. The choice of valve is still an open issue for me. I've read other threads already where this issue was "discussed", such as the one involving LauraS. My surgeon has a definite strong bias toward mechanical, my cardiologist is more open to tissue. At 61, I'm in the age group that would traditionally go with mechanical, although some seem to think it's now a toss-up. I don't think it's a toss-up, unless you are expecting to only live 10-15 years. My native valve has calcified so rapidly, I'm suspicious a tissue valve would do the same despite the claims Edwards makes that they have neutralized the calcium binding receptors. Also, even if I chose tissue, I gather which one I get may have to be determined during surgery based on size needed. Anyway, I'll be collecting information and talking with the surgery staff more about my choices over the next few weeks. Thanks for your input!

Bill

Bill, wanted to wish you a warm welcome and all the best for your surgery. Dr. Miller is wonderful. There are few Miller patients on this forum, they all vouch for him. I only met him for a consult once, and I asked him when he was going to retire, because I'd like to have my surgery done before he does : )

I hope you don't agonize too much about the choice of valve.

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery!

Back