New here - BAV replacement scheduled for 2/9/22

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, 3 weeks in rehab! I was sent home 5 days after surgery, and cardio rehab is outpatient, starting 2 weeks after release.
Hi paul
Yes I am very lucky and very grateful to have this . I am in France and it’s part of their health care system. But I believe there is an economic basis to it too: they want you fixed right the first time and not be a returning drain on the system. In regards to the exercise I could have done this at home but I probably would not be doing as well as as I am doing here with 35 other guys in the same boat. They also monitor you very carefully with bloods etc and administer little adjustments going forward. I am originally from Canada which has a good system too but I don’t think as good as France. Honestly I am glad to be in rehab vs home where I know I would have cut corners and all so would have had to work harder to keep my morale up

Honestly I am glad to be in rehab vs home where I know I would have cut corners and all so would have had to work harder to keep my morale up

That sounds like a really good policy. I love that they have you in rehab for 3 weeks and agree that it might even lower costs long term, as it will likely result in fewer return visits for valve related re-admissions.

Thought I owed everyone an update since it's been a while. I went in on 2/9 for the valve replacement. The good news is that the valve was definitely the only "plumbing" repair that was needed. The bad news was the rhythms would never sync up on their own naturally. End result was that last Monday, (2/14), I got a pacemaker permanently added to my hardware. The other wonderful piece of news that got added to the mix was that when they put me on a heparin drip to help get my INR to therapeutic levels, I had a reaction with the heparin that caused my platelets to crash. Needless to say, I had a REALLY rough couple of weeks (or at least by my previous definitions of "rough" they were rough) in the hospital. The good news is that I did finally get to come home yesterday just ahead of the two week mark. Now starts the long, HARD road back.

Thought I owed everyone an update since it's been a while. I went in on 2/9 for the valve replacement. The good news is that the valve was definitely the only "plumbing" repair that was needed. The bad news was the rhythms would never sync up on their own naturally. End result was that last Monday, (2/14), I got a pacemaker permanently added to my hardware. The other wonderful piece of news that got added to the mix was that when they put me on a heparin drip to help get my INR to therapeutic levels, I had a reaction with the heparin that caused my platelets to crash. Needless to say, I had a REALLY rough couple of weeks (or at least by my previous definitions of "rough" they were rough) in the hospital. The good news is that I did finally get to come home yesterday just ahead of the two week mark. Now starts the long, HARD road back.
Sob! That sucks,and is madning. I hope this week is easier.

Sob! That sucks,and is madning. I hope this week is easier.
Getting home finally has made a HUGE difference in just 24 hours. Unlike others who have said they do better in a rehab facility or might cut corners at home, I am the sort of person that you need to tell me I am well enough to start pushing myself to recover, and then just get the heck out of my way and let me push the recovery. I've probably already in less than 24 hours home done more "recovery work" than I did when I was still in the hospital - I just need the mental room to make it happen.

Getting home finally has made a HUGE difference in just 24 hours. Unlike others who have said they do better in a rehab facility or might cut corners at home, I am the sort of person that you need to tell me I am well enough to start pushing myself to recover, and then just get the heck out of my way and let me push the recovery. I've probably already in less than 24 hours home done more "recovery work" than I did when I was still in the hospital - I just need the mental room to make it happen.

Well done Chris! I'm glad that you're home and keep up the recovery work!

Chris,
Best wishes for your quick recovery at home. I had my surgery on 2-7-22 and I too am at home recovering. Feeling stronger every day and hoping for continued improvement. It has felt great to be home for this.

Two weeks is a long stay ChrisW, glad you are home. I also ended up with a pacemaker after my surgery. It was a shock and disappointment and meant I was in for a couple of days longer than planned. I will say though, that the pacemaker works extremely well. I have a very solid rhythm in my top chambers (atria) and the pacemaker simply follows that rhythm in the large bottom ventricles. Look after your wires and your shoulder for the first few weeks as everything heals and soon you will be able to do pretty much anything you want with the pacer. Also sorry to hear about your INR and platelet issues, that’s rough. Now that you are home you can work on recovery for this next chapter of your life. I am 11 months out and feel great, if it wasn’t for the scares and the nightly dose of warfarin I would wonder that I ever went through the surgery.

Back