New here - BAV replacement scheduled for 2/9/22

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrisW

New member here and just thought I'd do a quick intro. I found out about 8 years ago that I have a BAV, and it would have to be replaced "someday." Four years after I found out about mine, my 77 year old father found out that he was going to have to have HIS BAV replace. Unfortunately, he was in much poorer health than I am, and did not survive his surgery. Needless to say that when the "someday" conversation for me turned to "in the next couple months" this past December, it was VERY hard news to take. I've spent some time on the forums here the past week or so as I've mulled through the decision on tissue vs mechanical, and now that I've stopped changing my mind multiple times a day and settled on one, I thought I'd actually join the forums and settle in for the long haul as I get ready for surgery and life beyond.

Quick bio: I'm 50 years young and after back surgery a couple years ago to fix a problem caused by my athletic youth, I am in relatively good health except for my valve. I can't say I'm overly athletic at the moment, due to lifestyle and work changes over the past few years, but my hope is after recovery from OHS, I can get back to a more active lifestyle and it will be all uphill from here.

my hope is after recovery from OHS, I can get back to a more active lifestyle and it will be all uphill from here.

Welcome ChrisW. I see no reason why you can't return to a normal lifestyle............the majority of us do. Do your homework, make your choices..........and "git 'er done" before you have any serious issues.

Welcome Chris!

Wishing you the very best for your upcoming procedure.

I discovered my BAV when I was 52 and had my SAVR 10 months ago. Expect some bumps in the road, but ultimately this is a low risk procedure these days and you will be on the mend before you know it. Medical advancements are truly amazing.

Please keep us posted.

Greetings Chris and welcome.
Condolences re the loss of your father.
You’ve come to a great place for information and support. There are many wise and empathetic people and stories here. You’re in good company!
All the best to you for the days ahead. Will be following your journey.

... I can't say I'm overly athletic at the moment, due to lifestyle and work changes over the past few years, but my hope is after recovery from OHS, I can get back to a more active lifestyle and it will be all uphill from here.

I had mine replaced at the same age and for the same reason. With your bad valve gone you will most likely have more energy and stamina after a few months.

I was in the exact same space as you. My father also had the same surgery at a late age. he did not die but he never fully recovered and later passed away with dementia. A good part of the reason I chose mechanical was fear of another surgery when I was 70 and the effect it would have on my cognition. That said, I'm in much better shape now that I was before the surgery. I exercise daily and I have far more strength and stamina then I did before. Good luck and commit to exercise after.

It’s not a fun club to find yourself a part of, but welcome aboard just the same. Sorry to read of your fathers passing. I don’t know what the sweet spot is to catch this. I suppose somewhere in between enjoying youth and good health without a care, and correcting the issue while you’re still young enough to make a full recovery. You may have landed in that area for yourself.

Keep us posted. Any questions or concerns, or just a need to vent, don’t hold back. Lots of experience on these boards. Your experience will be unique to you, but we can all commiserate.

Welcome to the club! I can relate to your situation. I was 50 when initially told about my ascending aorta aneurysm and unicuspid aortic valve. The aorta was fixed at 52 and the valve just last year at almost 60. I suggest that you do not want multiple future surgeries and if so, the valve choice is clear. But, totally up to you. A somewhat sensitive topic here.
I suggest that you do as much aerobic exercise as possible right up to your surgery date. Walking, treadmill on incline, elliptical etc. all good. The better your health going in, the better your chance for survival and quick recovery.
The facility and surgeon that you choose are very important. Where do you plan to have it done? Choose those with lots of practice. I highly recommend the Cleveland Clinic.
Good luck and hang in there. It's not as bad as it seems.

I suggest that you do as much aerobic exercise as possible right up to your surgery date. Walking, treadmill on incline, elliptical etc. all good. The better your health going in, the better your chance for survival and quick recovery.
My cardiologist recommended against cardio in the leadup to my surgery. Probably because he let me go a wee bit too far into severe and was fearful of a burst. So I say ask your cardio, but I am guessing this is not the time to start a new exercise regime.

My cardiologist recommended against cardio in the leadup to my surgery. Probably because he let me go a wee bit too far into severe and was fearful of a burst. So I say ask your cardio, but I am guessing this is not the time to start a new exercise regime.
I had bronchitis over the holidays which slowed me down a lot on ANY cardio, so I am just keeping up with my normal walking routine between now and surgery and not trying to do anything too "extra" in that regard. Thankfully, I am relatively fit to begin with, so I'm not too concerned on that front.

I had bronchitis over the holidays which slowed me down a lot on ANY cardio, so I am just keeping up with my normal walking routine between now and surgery and not trying to do anything too "extra" in that regard. Thankfully, I am relatively fit to begin with, so I'm not too concerned on that front.
Somewhat understandable. You only mentioned a BAV. Do you also have an enlarged ascending aorta? Of course do not push yourself too hard, but any movement is better than no movement. Try walking at a faster pace or for longer periods of time. Good luck!

Cardio is better for you to do to keep the circulation going, only do it on the low side of it.

Chris, good luck to you. I am scheduled for 2/7 for ascending aorta aneurysm repair and likely valve replacement. Perhaps we can compare notes as we both recover!

Good luck to everyone. I just hit my 10 month mark. Winter has jacked up my running, and work gets in the way many days along with rampant Covid-19. Which I myself caught after having been vaxxed 3 times. I ran 2 3/4 mile Saturday and Sunday and felt great. Love the relationship with my percussion massager.

Latest posts

Back