New Here - AVR on 10/19/22

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike239

Hello everyone, I am so thankful to have found this forum. I just turned 63 and had AVR (tissue) replacement on October 19.

While in the hospital I was going in and out of AF, but the cardiologist eased my mind by stating that 1/3 of AVR patients have this happen.

I look forward to having discussions with all of you, and while everyone is different, I look forward to hearing other’s stories of recovery.

My biggest complaint to date is having shortness of breath when walking around my home. The shortness of breath eases quite a bit if I slow down the pace. When I’m out of breath I also have some discomfort in my right shoulder, the discomfort goes away once I catch my breath. It seems that I was walking faster/further in the hospital.

Hello, welcome and congratulations on your successful AVR.
What was the backstory of your surgery?

My AV showed decline for the past five years. When further tests/procedures were done it was discovered that my AV was bicuspid with calcification. It had reached the point that the cardiologist deemed it best to get the valve replaced due to the amount of calcification. After all options were discussed, I decided on getting the bovine tissue valve as a replacement.

Greetings Mike! And welcome to the forum.

We're about the same age (I'm 64). Had my valve replaced with a tissue valve in 2019, aged 61.
I definitely had noticeable shortness of breath in the first month with any kind of activity if I pushed myself too much (walking, climbing stairs), especially the first few weeks. I would also find I needed to catch my breath at the end of sentences if I spoke with people at length. My voice was croaky for weeks! Swallowing was at first painful. But this all eventually settled down as recovery days passed and I became more active.

I had shoulder and neck ache for quite a few weeks post-op, as well. The aches were there in the hospital (plus a couple of painful muscle spasms!) and continued once I got home. I suspected it was from the manipulation of my body (arms and head) during the surgery. But these aches eventually faded the more steadily active I became. The 10 sessions of rehab I did a few months after my surgery also helped the recovery process, both mentally and physically.

Unfortunate you had some AF issues post surgery. But as your cardiologist says, it can be quite a common thing at first for some. Hope that has rectified itself. I had no AF issues in the hospital, although I ended up in the A&E a month later with a fever, pleural effusion, a UTI and a rapid heartbeat. That got brought under control with a one-week course of medication.

The key to recovery is to give yourself time. Your body has been through a mighty ordeal. Still very much early days for you in your recovery process. The healing has its own agenda and timescale. It doesn't like to be rushed! There will be incremental improvements. Your strength will build and no doubt your shortness of breath will lessen.

I wish you the best for the recovery days ahead. And ask away if you have questions. There's a world of wisdom and support here from a great and varied bunch of people.
Onwards... 😎

Last edited:
Welcome Aboard

While in the hospital I was going in and out of AF, but the cardiologist eased my mind by stating that 1/3 of AVR patients have this happen.
..and yes that's right.

so, take your recovery slowly, slow and steady wins the race!

Best Wishes

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on making it to the other side!

It is very common. Some studies show that the number is ever higher than 1/3 of all patients. For the vast majority the issue resolves. I had a couple of bouts of afib, which never returned after I left the hospital.

My biggest complaint to date is having shortness of breath when walking around my home.
You're only 12 days out from surgery. This is normal. It will take awhile for you to adapt and heal. Also, I expect that they put you on a beta-blocker, standard practice after valve surgery. This can make you feel out of breath as well. I would suggest to keep walking a lot, taking it easy for awhile and gradually pushing further and walking more briskly. Upon release you should have been given a sheet with the amount of walking or other exercise that you can do at each step of recovery. I would suggest to do as much walking as they allow you to.

The first two weeks after surgery are the most difficult. You will likely find yourself feeling better and better with each passing week. Before you know it you will feel yourself again and be doing 100% of the activities that you were doing pre-surgery. Hang in there.

Please keep us posted on your recovery and please ask any questions. Whatever you are experiencing, it is almost certain that there is someone here who has experienced the same thing.

it takes time mate maybe use the step counter on your phone if you have one and build up.I was in hospital 14 days pneumonia etc but built up from a 1000 and so on until i got back to normal but only do what you feel comfy with

Hello everyone, I am so thankful to have found this forum. I just turned 63 and had AVR (tissue) replacement on October 19.

I look forward to having discussions with all of you, and while everyone is different, I look forward to hearing other’s stories of recovery.

My biggest complaint to date is having shortness of breath when walking around my home. The shortness of breath eases quite a bit if I slow down the pace. When I’m out of breath I also have some discomfort in my right shoulder, the discomfort goes away once I catch my breath. It seems that I was walking faster/further in the hospital.
Hi Mike,
I had the same surgery on October 6th, with the same post operation AF. I'm 58 and and previously very active, with no expectation of what recovery might look like. This Thursday will be 4 weeks from the surgery and I'd say the last 4 days I've turned the corner. No AF in 5 days and stairs are finally manageable. If I were advising myself now with the benefit of this experience, I would suggest that I take it easy for the first couple of weeks and let my body heal. I'm feeling better and cardio rehab is helping me get back into the swing. Sounds like your experience right now is what I had at the same time. My best wishes for a continued good recovery.

Hi Mike

I got my AV 8 months ago and feel great now.

12 days! your flesh wound has just healed?

I had AF too. Take it easy, it takes the heart a little while to figure out how to adapt to using the bigger valve, get the rhythm right etc. My heart rate would drop too, I would look at my watch and my BPM would be at 32.

Re Breathing, did you have a Full sternotomy?

John

Same valve chose tissue as well. Also had and will prob have afib for rest of life. I am also 63 but my surgery was June of last year at 62. My shortness if breath was more noticeable once at home. There were distractions in hospital the focus is different just walking was new post-surgery but once home I immediately felt I was further along than in hospital. I live upstairs and was concerned because nothing avail compared and I never thought to ask to try fire exit stairwell. But they were easy no assistance required. SOB comes and goes stronger and less pronounced. June was surgery returned to work month early in Aug. A full year later I finally felt I was past SOB but two months later had a spell if it returning. Recovery can take well over a year it us different for everyone. I kept asking doctors they kept saying it wasnt anything wrong with heart but also didn't day "recovery can take over a year" it was like a disconnect not recognizing or wanting to make a definitive statement about recovery. They left door open for it to be anything outside my heart all they would look at eas the heart and the PCP would have thrown parts and run test well into the next round if yearly out if pocket max and deductibles so I waited giving it more time. My friend has been really helpful like we both crossed through a rite if passage, me OHS valve replacement him OHS heart transplant. I spoke with many of all levels but he connects and is knowledgeable. Good luck. Don't worry if you take a while. It is not unusual.

Last edited:
Hi my valve,re SOB , do you think it is the heart or something else? Do you have any other issues , weight etc? Are you managing to get exercise?What would you describe SOB as? breathing heavily through the mouth? Can't catch your breath after exertion?

Welcome Mike. I am now 9 months post OHS. 58 years old. Second time around. Got the Inspiris Resilia tissue valve. Feeling great now. Definitely took it easy the first few weeks after surgery and pushed myself more about 3 months out without complications. I hope your recovery goes smoothly!

Hi Mike. I had a mechanical aortic valve on 10/14, so it’s been 3 weeks. Beforehand I read that there would be progress for the first few months but not linear, so two steps forward one step back. I had it super easy for the first two weeks and the third week I have struggled. Mentally it is tough to handle even though I know it is normal. I have new pains in various places. I have a very sharp pain where my abdomen joins my rib cage to the right of my sternum that I think is a strained or slightly torn muscle, so I am taking it easy and hope it heals up in a few days to a week. I also feel that very strong heart beat and don’t enjoy that. So I think we have to just work with the ups and downs, manage things, and keep an eye on 3-6 months out.

Yesterday and today I have been a bit “short of breath” when I do more, but I am realizing that it is a different thing than the shortness of breath I had before the surgery. Before, it really felt like I wasn’t getting enough oxygen. Now it doesn’t feel like that, it feels like a touch of dizzyness where my heart ramps up and starts pumping harder when I start doing something. I suspect that it is fine, it is just my heart is used to working too hard, annd so the heart rate and breathing and kick into gear, except now the blood flow is not blocked and I get a head rush. My O2 Sat is fine, so I don’t think it is the same thing as the shortness of breath I used to have.

Last edited:
If you start feeling like breathing is getting harder during recovery and short of breath, let your doctor know. Sometimes fluid starts to build again in the chest cavity. I struggled with that and pancreatitis about three weeks out. Fortunately it resolved on its own but the fluid build up was confirmed by x-ray.

My SOB wasn't getting better, so they drained fluid off the left lung. Afterwards I had a coughing spell which the pulmonary doctor said was to be expected. I feel like I pulled a muscle in my side. I hope the pain goes away soon.

Back