New Drug for Afib on the horizon

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's still in the same family, so I still question it. My biggest question to this day is, Why do doctors use it as a first drug for arrythmias when even the prescribing info says to be used only when all other drugs have failed?

It's still in the same family, so I still question it. My biggest question to this day is, Why do doctors use it as a first drug for arrythmias when even the prescribing info says to be used only when all other drugs have failed?

Because they know it works and it is easier to go right to the drug that they know is going to work! Fortunately, my cardio at the Mayo isn't a fan so when all the other Dr's there, including my EP, mention it together in a sentence with my name, she immediately starts shaking her head no. One Dr. who was trying to persuede me that it was ok for me to use told me that ONLY 20% of people who use it have "bad" side effects. I think that is a lot!

Unfortunately there are no perfect drugs for a-fib. I was pretty mad when I woke up from surgery and I was on amiodarone. When I talked to the EP beforehand he said that he would not use it on me. Somehow the surgeon put me on it and I think my mother oked it while I was in surgery. I am supposed to stop it in July and have told them that I am stopping it at that point and if the a-fib returns that I will be looking into other medications. People here seem to like Sotolol and that is my first choice if I need to restart medication, but it is still not ideal and has some major issues associated with it.

I am also skeptical of this new drug. With how lax the FDA is, I really don't like trying anything that is too new.

The doc stopped my ameoderon I was having sever side affects, I did not know how toxic it was until I read about it and resurces, my hair was falling out my faced burned from the sun and my vision was getting bad, I was on this med for three years and longer taking. I did have the maze procdure when i had the valve replacement so that i did not get fib. I should have been on this med only for a while not three years. Since I stopped this med I feel the changes in me.

http://www.theheart.org/article/867591.do

Have ya'll seen this? I hear tell that it will be introduced this year. Supposedly less toxic than amiodorone.

:eek::eek::eek:somebody say AMIODORONE????

Jokes aside, but i will run and agree with Sanmore #3years?you were on it?:(
I thought my 3 months were bad,i'm off it too and never again.Im not so
sure i'd trust myself on any of these a-fib drugs.(diet pills);)

zipper2 (DEB)

Back