New (?) CoaguChek meter

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, but not in the United States. My speculation is that there are so many unsold XS meters in the United States that if they brought the INRange into the U.S., it would kill the market for the unsold XS meters.

Also - there may be some buyer's remorse - and maybe negative backlash - if the people who buy the XS find out, a few months later, that there's a 'better' new model available at the same price.

At least, these are my guesses as to why Roche hasn't brought the INRange to the United States.

Same here, I use the Roche service. They provide the meter and all strips with lancets and alcohol wipes. My private insurance pays the cost 100% and my reported results are sent to my cardiologist in real time from the Roche website I enter them into. If I’m ever out of range my nurse calls me within a few hours to discuss why I think I might have tested out of range and we discuss any dosage adjustment. They make it super easy and replacement test supplies are even sent without me having to reorder. I really like the system they have.
We went through the issue of wiping your finger with alcohol before making the incision, a few months ago. If there's alcohol still on your finger when you make the incision, the meter can give a false reading. For myself, I rinse my hand under warm water, dry it with a paper towel, and do the incision. In the more than 10 years that I've been self-testing, I'm yet to have an infection or any negative issues with the incised finger.

If I recall, the instructions for one of the meters (I'm not sure if it was for the CoaguChek or the Coag-Sense meter instructed the user not to use alcohol (or to make sure that it has completely evaporated) before making the incision.

Hi-
I'm 52 and fed up with the cost for paying to check my blood every 2 weeks. For years I was on an Alere system and the strips cost me $30 for a box. 1.5yrs ago that meter crapped out so I got a Roche Coagucheck ( free) and then strips. Each time I test myself (every 10 days) it costs me $101. The contract rate shows $250. The credit is $149. I'm on Aetna on a HSA.
I contacted a few providers of devices and supplies and found that the G Code for devices is G0248. The Gcode for 6 strips is G0249.
Acelis: device cost $2495 Box of 6 stips: $120
MDINR: device cost $1500 Box of 6 strips: $57
RCS: device cost $1500 Box of 6 strips: $57

Are there others with better pricing?

Last edited:
Each time I test myself (every 10 days) it costs me $149. I'm on Aetna on a HSA........
..........Are there others with better pricing?

$149/test is very high. I am on Medicare and the cost is around $20/test, of which I pay about $4+/test. There is also a small administrative charge by my doc's office (+/-$10) which Medicare pays 100%. I test weekly on a program prescribed by my doc with Coaguchek Patient Services (1-800-428-4674). The meter and all supplies are provided to me at no cost. I have used this program for over 5 years with complete satisfaction.

Camperic - where are you located? In the United States, you can do much better - and be a lot safer.

I'm guessing that you aren't in the United States - those meters that you listed aren't common (or available) in the United States.

You can buy a CoaguChek XS or a Coag-Sense meter for a range in prices from almost nothing to $700 or more. (You may be able to buy them and have them shipped Internationally - you'll probably be able to get strips shipped to you, too).

Test strips run $4 or $5 a strip.

I've seen Coag-Sense meters for a few hundred dollars (these are usually last generatiion, but still excellent meters). Recently, a liquidator has been selling strips for about $2 or so each. (I bought two bundles of 42 each, including transfer tubes, for less than $2 each - I tested them, checked with the manufacturer, and they're fine). I've also seen some offers at medical supply distributors that give you a meter if you buy a few boxes of strips. This is more strips than you can actually use before they expire, but you can probably sell a box or two and bring the actual cost way down.

Personally, I wouldn't consider any of the meters that you listed. The Roche CoaguChek XS, and the Coagusense Coag-Sense meters have much greater distribution, there are millions of CoaguChek XS units out there, and supplies are much less expensive, the meters are much easier to get, and supplies are much less expensive. I don't know the number of Coag-Sense meters in use (nowhere near the number of Coaguchek meters - but still a fairly substantial number.

The point is this -- you can get your own meter online or, perhaps, from a distributor. You can get strips on eBay. You shouldn't have to pay those ridiculous prices. One suggestion - whichever meter you buy, please test weekly (rather than every 10 days).

If you're able to, you may be able to self-manage. There are resources here that can help you with the management (although if you involve your doctor to take the results and adjust your dosage, you shouldn't have problems getting prescriptions for refills).

I looked at the RCS (Remote Cardiac Services) website -- they are showing the Hemosense meter being used. This meter has been discontinued, pulled from the market, because of test inaccuracies. You may be looking at old prices, or an old service.

Last edited:
I am in the PacNW in US. Since I'm not an elder I get my health insurance thru my company and not Medicare.

I edited my orig comment

it costs me $101 to self test. The contract rate shows $250. The credit is $149.

That's still way too much.

What you should get is a meter that will be well supported; a meter that has sold thousands or more; a meter for which you can buy test strips. The CoaguChek XS (and newer models) has by far the highest number of sold units, and, of course, makes the highest number of test strips. It's used in clinics, at doctor's offices and, of course, by self-testers.

Another good meter (and my personal choice) is the Coag-Sense meter. It uses a different method for testing than the CoaguChek XS uses. The Coag-Sense actually detects when a clot forms. The CoaguChek XS uses changes in an electronic factor to determine prothrombin time and INR. The Coag-Sense isn't as well known, its sales numbers are probably dwarfed by the CoaguChek XS, but it's also a good meter.

I won't advise which meter to select, but, again, I think you can do much better financially if you get one or the other of the meters that I've named. They're much more mainstream. Tests should cost about $5 each (not including the cost of the meter).

Even at $101 (is this per test?) you and the insurance company are being taken advantage of.

Last edited:
I am in the PacNW in US. Since I'm not an elder I get my health insurance thru my company and not Medicare.

I edited my orig comment

it costs me $101 to self test. The contract rate shows $250. The credit is $149.

That sounds ridiculous. I completely self-fund my testing. The Coaguchek cost $500 or so, the strips cost about $300/yr, and that's Canadian dollars, so take 25% off for US costs. You don't need to look for another meter, you need to send your "free" meter back to your insurance company and buy another one yourself. Check eBay; they are always on there, from reputable distributors, as are the strips. You are currently being hosed.

If you are wondering why a Canadian with universal health care is paying his own bills, it is because I choose to; lab blood draws and management by my local warfarin management team would be 100% covered, but if you want the convenience and control of home testing, you have to go on your own. I still check in with the warfarin team periodically, and go for an occasional blood draw to cross-check the accuracy of my meter and strips, but other than that it's my dime. Our system could save a huge amount of money by funding self-testing, but there doesn't seem to be any real demand, because most people don't know it's an option. I was the first person in my city and area to self-test 7 years ago, and I'm told there is still only one other.

I wish there was some way to spread the word (about the availability of meters, and about self-testing). There are a lot of self-testers around the world, but perhaps they aren't vocal enough about it.

Roche has its own testing service - I haven't seen them promoting self-testing -- probably because the services are so damned profitable for them. The same goes with the other testing services -- they'll send you a meter, they'll provide you with strips, they'll remind you when they want you to send results, and then they'll send the results to your doctor -- and charge your insurance (and maybe you, too, for a deductible) a LOT of money.

Talking about self-testing and self-management on this site is like preaching to the choir.

(Hey -- I'm a writer-- maybe AARP or some newspapers or magazines would be interested in some articles...)

I wish getting the word out was as easy as just a few articles - but this is probably a larger climb than it looks.

Latest posts

Back