New Coag-Sense meter

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, are you meaning the XS? How have you determined this?

I believe I have the XS. It was a while back, it gave me an error code (8 maybe) and I did what the book says to do. I think that was to take out the batteries and put them back in (?). Whatever it was, it didn't work, and the book said to call Roche, which I did. The Roche lady told me it was either the batteries or the meter. I believe she had me do the take out and put back in scenario again. Didn't work. She then told me to replace the batteries with newly purchased ones (with the same brand that they came with if possible). I told her that the machine said the batteries still had power. She told me again to replace the batteries with new ones, preferably the same brand. I did and it worked fine afterward. In the little book I have for INR recording, I recorded when I replaced them.

You put this in a forum on the Coag-Sense meter?

FWIW - the original Coag-Sense (referred to as PT1) used batteries or a plug in power supply. Frustratingly, I'd sometimes get a 'battery too low to test' or similar error, when I really wanted to run a test. At least I didn't waste strips because a battery was too low to run a good test, but didn't say so - or just stop.

The new Coag-Sense meter - PT2 has a built-in lithium battery. It's charged through a mini-USB port. It can do a lot of tests once it's fully charged. You don't have to worry about replacing batteries. There IS an issue for self-testers -- it has a 'standby' power mode, and power can run down in a few hours - so, if you just let it shut itself off, I'm not sure if it goes into standby or turns off - and if you 'turn it off' by pressing the power button twice - this puts it into standby mode. Self-testers have to hold the button down (for about 10 seconds) for the meter to shut off (and not go into standby). Once the self-tester learns this little quirk, the meter holds its charge for weeks.

Coagusense says to use the charger that comes with the meter. I've tried a standard mini-USB to charge mine, and so far haven't had any issues.

I believe I have the XS.

I was making sure you weren't talking about something else

It was a while back, it gave me an error code (8 maybe)
... In the little book I have for INR recording, I recorded when I replaced them.

I had interpreted that you were saying low battery influences the determined INR. Because we were discussing accuracy of reading and you wrote:

Might want to record when you change your batteries. The meter can get wonky before it says it needs to be fed new batteries.

as a reply directly into that (irrespective of what the acutal name of the thread is about, I took it as a conversation drift).

So to be clear: if you have identified that the XS shifts its reported INR due to batteries when there has NOT been a battery warning triggered, how have you done so (please)?

Last edited:
Yes. He said it was an XS. That's the reason I asked about his posting a comment about the XS on a Coag-Sense thread.

He seemed to indicate that there was an error triggered on the XS when the battery was low, before there was a low battery message.

I was making sure you weren't talking about something else

I had interpreted that you were saying low battery influences the determined INR. Because we were discussing accuracy of reading and you wrote:

as a reply directly into that (irrespective of what the acutal name of the thread is about, I took it as a conversation drift).

So to be clear: if you have identified that the XS shifts its reported INR due to batteries when there has NOT been a battery warning triggered, how have you done so (please)?

My meter gave me an error code that wouldn't allow me to test. Turned out it was the batteries, but the meter told me I had plenty of battery power left. I had to call Roche to find out. It's not in the manual.

I trust my INR's reading. Never compared it to anything else. Haven't died of a stroke or bled out yet :)

Latest posts

Back