New—Moderate Regurgitation

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

I have moderate regurgitation it has been stable for many years. My cardio at Cleveland clinic said I could still not need surgery till 40s or 50s(I’m 23 now). But also said it could happen sooner. What age group is most likely? How fast does it usually progress?

Probably depends upon what is causing your regurgitation. If it's from a bicuspid valve, a study of people who died due to their bicuspid valve not being diagnosed/treated died between ~16 and 80 with the median being 55 yo, the same year I needed my valve replaced :)

Welcome aboard!

My murmur started at 19, mild regurgitation started at 30, severe regurgitation at around 40!

I had my surgery at 57, 16 years after my regurgitation became severe. I wish I had it earlier by four years when my fatigue was severe and quality of life deteriorating, yet cardio cared for the echo numbers instead of listening to my symptoms!

I also wish I had the surgery before the aortic regurgitation affected the functioning of my Mitral valve, thus I ended up with two mechanical valves! So, make sure to ask your cardio next time if your regurgitation will affect functioning of other valves (as in my case).

Re Tom in Mo’s response, I’m not sure now what my ve type is: tricuspid or bicuspid!

Back