Need to re-order test strips from QAS!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natanni

Hey guys! Remember us?!

Need to re-order Hubby INRatio test strips and I am having a hard time accessing QAS on the internet. Anyone have any updates on how to get a hold of them?! Many thanks in advance!

Nate and Ann :)

I have found them to be so expensive.
They were charging around $400 for a box of 12 for my InRatio2. (Can anyone say "Rip-Off?)

I used to pay $325 for a box of 25 for my Protime.

It looks like they raised the cost per each test to be about equal to a lab draw. When I called to inquire, that told me that
home testing is a "Convenience", and they are priced accordingly. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

I really need to look for a new source for my test strips. Most likely I may need to get a new prescription from my doctor for them.
Anyone have any experience with purchasing these from a new vendor?

Rob

I've been buying mine on eBay and had no problems with any of the strips. InRatio strips go for something around $200 or so for 48. ProTime strips are running around $125-150 for 25.
I've gotten a lot of heat from people on this forum because I mentioned that my source of strips and meters was eBay - so I am NOT recommending that anyone consider any vendor OTHER than a licensed and approved vendor. HOWEVER - in my experience, I've received what's been advertised.

(I DID buy a ProTime meter for $1, and the meter didn't seem to work well (I forget the problem) but the power supply and manuals were well worth the buck, and I got a broken meter described as broken and as is that arrived as described. I bought a CoaguChek S that worked - but either the seller was as ignorant as I was about Roche discontinuing support for the meter or the seller didn't care. All the other meters and strips acquired over eBay were fine).

You may also see if you can find a medical supply company that carries the strips and see if your doctor can either a) order them at HIS or HER price and let you pay for them (it's usually less expensive this way), or b) give you a prescription for the strips that the supply company will fill. Many of the supply companies only work with doctors or clinics, so option B may not be available.

I don't see why any of us should have to pay overinflated prices for these strips if we can find them for less from other suppliers.

I have found them to be so expensive.
They were charging around $400 for a box of 12 for my InRatio2. (Can anyone say "Rip-Off?)

I used to pay $325 for a box of 25 for my Protime.

It looks like they raised the cost per each test to be about equal to a lab draw. When I called to inquire, that told me that
home testing is a "Convenience", and they are priced accordingly. GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!

I really need to look for a new source for my test strips. Most likely I may need to get a new prescription from my doctor for them.
Anyone have any experience with purchasing these from a new vendor?

Rob

Rob:

I've sent you a PM.

I'm personally insulted and disgusted by the idea of charging a 'convenience' fee for these test supplies. I can't imagine these greedy companies exploiting a 'convenience' fee that they're gouging out of their customers, using any of these windfall profits to help those who can't afford meters or supplies, or doing anything good with it, other than enabling the company executives to have more $300 lunches.

If these people believe that, because a person can get an equivalent blood test AT HOME, they have to protect the labs -- then perhaps it's the LABS that should revisit their fee schedules for these tests.

Personally, the primary reason I started home testing was because I COULDN'T AFFORD THE COST OF THE LAB TESTS. There must be others in the same boat. Minimizing the price difference between a home test and a lab test by charging this as A FEE FOR CONVENIENCE will elliminate home testing as an alternative and would result in many people either NOT testing (because they can't afford strips or lab test) or infrequently testing -- NEITHER OF WHICH ASSURES A GOOD OUTCOME - because they can't afford to test.

Shame on those companies that choose to gouge customers with 'convenience' fees. Shame on the insurance companies that may grab their collective knees and pay these hyperinflated prices.

I've said it before - but good anticoagulation management is a public health issue. INR testing should be readily accessible to everyone who needs it. Whether it's affordable clinics for testing and management, or home testing and dosing advice from someone who knows about anticoagulation management, or even home testing and referring to what you can learn here - it should be accessible and available and not subject to greedy 'convenience' pricing.

I realize that this rant probably belongs in another thread - but I'd be interested in seeing if anyone DOESN'T agree - and hearing from those who do.

It would almost impossible for my husband to try and get time off from work every 6 week INR check. I am a little worried about ordering his test strips now, it would take about a week worth of phone calls back and forth between the insurance co & QAS to get the proper paperwork and coding done to get our strips reimbursed, but thank God they were reimbursed. He tests twice a month now, and his strips expired 7/2010 but we have kept the refridgerated. When did QAS change to Alere? I suppose we will need a new RX.

A few things:

I am using an InRatio machine, and I read somewhere that the strips are still good for one year after the expiration date. I have some that expired late last year, haven't been refrigerated, and haven't generated any quality control errors.

I have gotten strips from vendors on eBay, with no problems, and didn't have to wait for insurance company approval or the other nonsense. (I'm not insured, so although I don't have to fight for reimbursement, the strips come out of a very slim pocket). The strips I bought on eBay didn't require a prescription, either. It may be worth considering an alternative source -- the strips all come with quality control built into them so you probably won't have to worry about test inaccuracy, you won't need a prescription, you won't have to wait for approval -- but you probably will NOT get reimbursement. Alternatively, there are probably some medical supply companies that will sell to your doctor at a 'fair' price (not what some greedy companies call 'convenience') and perhaps a friendly doctor will order them for you from one of these companies - and you can reimburse the doctor.

Of course, this is just what I've done from personal experience and I can't suggest that you do anything other than purchase from site approved vendors.

I just got a new box of strips 48 count) and had a few left with an exp. date of 11/10 (Nov. 2010). Just for grins, I ran a test with a strip from each box, back-to-back. Got a 2.2 with the strip from the old box, a 2.1 with a strip from the new shipment.

Natanni:
I would assume -- but you know what ASSUME means -- that Alere would honor any Rxes for testing supplies that QAS had on file.

I have been buying my strips out of pocket and filing on my FSA account. I may call Aetna to see if it covers strips and who is in network. Had problems with UHC & one vendor -- don't want to repeat that headache.

Marsha:

One thought. When you did your 'just for fun' testing with the old and the new strips, did you change the strip code on the meter for each strip? If not, the difference may have been resulting from the different reagent values on each strip. It's easy to overlook the change in strip codes, but the differences in the strips could be the cause of the different readings.

Just a thought...

Marsha:

One thought. When you did your 'just for fun' testing with the old and the new strips, did you change the strip code on the meter for each strip? If not, the difference may have been resulting from the different reagent values on each strip. It's easy to overlook the change in strip codes, but the differences in the strips could be the cause of the different readings.

Just a thought...

Yes, I changed it.
However, I was expecting a minute difference in INRs. I've run tests like this before and gotten 2 different, but very closely similar results.

So have I. These differences of tenths of a point are rarely significant. Even using the same batch of strips, one right after the other, can give slightly different values.

Back