Need some guidance

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hank56

Gd afternoon everyone, 1st time posting, in 2009, me echo showed 4.1 cm thoracic aeorta, aug of 2019 grew to 5.0 cm and sept 2020 stayed at 5cm. both CT imaging and eco showed the same.I have visited the Cleveland clinic in Weston, Florida last Friday and spoke to one of the top thoracic surgeons, he told me he wanted to give me another ecogram in 3mos to keep close tabs on it and also said that I was a candidate e for surgery, at 51 the word aneurysm scared the living hell out of me. I am in the best shape of my life 6'0 200lbs always have been a workout guy, haven't touched any heavy weights in a long time, lots of cardio and resistance training. my cardiologist put me on 50mg metoprolol (bp med) 110/70 range right now and 20mg of rosuvastatin for cholesterol. I'm married 22 years with a 19 and 16 year old. I live a very active lifestyle and now I have to really take it down a bunch of notches. i'm concerned that mentally the thought of a possible rupture or tear will lie heavily on my mind and cause a great deal of anxiety. if anyone has any advice here, it would be greatly appreciated. I want to get in front of this, I understand it will not get smaller, so inevitably surgery will have to happen. So now I am processing. The thought of open heart surgery is not an eay pill to swallow, but neither is the alternative, so if anyone has a similar sitch and how they dealt with it, I wd greatly appreciate to hear from you. I am visting another surgeon in broward county at holy cross hospital this Thursday. Thanks for everyones time Hank

Greetings. For me, the point about anxiety was key. I didn’t like the wait and see approach. I had surgery at 41 (almost 42) and am now 5 1/2 years out. I don’t regret it. I went mechanical. If I waited, I would have been so nervous about every little twinge or weird feeling. I also wanted to have surgery when I was young and healthy. You are correct, it doesn’t get smaller, and at some point the aneurysm increases dramatically (in other words, not a linear increase; it grows but when it reaches a certain point it grows faster). That point is different for everyone. It could be a very long time, and you could remain stable for many years, and perhaps there could be improvements in surgical techniques or valves during those years. For me, my mental health during that period was more important. If you won’t worry too much about it, then you may prefer to wait.

Hi Hank,
I had a similar situation. I had known my entire life that I had a funky aortic valve that would require replacement but the aortic aneurysm didn't pop up until I was in my late 30's.

I mountain bike a lot, long distance type riding with a lot of hill climbing, so I was pretty nervous about the new diagnosis. My cardiologist and surgeon at Loma Linda were awesome. They said, "If this is going to stop you from living your life the way you want, then let's fix it."

I had known all along that the surgery to replace the valve was coming, so the prospect of the surgery wasn't too shocking. The looming aneurysm was far more concerning to me at 5.2cm.

I was all-in and ready to put it behind me.

The surgery isn't fun, no doubt, but I feel that going into it as healthy as possible, while you are strong and active is the best way to go.

I am 5 years post op now and ride stronger, faster and longer than I ever did prior to the surgery.

These surgeons are SO good at this now.

Hi Hank,
I had a similar situation. I had known my entire life that I had a funky aortic valve that would require replacement but the aortic aneurysm didn't pop up until I was in my late 30's.

I mountain bike a lot, long distance type riding with a lot of hill climbing, so I was pretty nervous about the new diagnosis. My cardiologist and surgeon at Loma Linda were awesome. They said, "If this is going to stop you from living your life the way you want, then let's fix it."

I had known all along that the surgery to replace the valve was coming, so the prospect of the surgery wasn't too shocking. The looming aneurysm was far more concerning to me at 5.2cm.

I was all-in and ready to put it behind me.

The surgery isn't fun, no doubt, but I feel that going into it as healthy as possible, while you are strong and active is the best way to go.

I am 5 years post op now and ride stronger, faster and longer than I ever did prior to the surgery.

These surgeons are SO good at this now.
Thanks Ryan, that’s where my heads at, I’m a live life to its fullest type of person, having limitations will not sit well for my Mental health. Appreciate you reaching out.

I really don’t understand what magic they’re waiting for once you cross 5cm. Seems like a game of chicken. “How close can we get without going over!?!” For what it’s worth, I had mine done at 4.9 but it was changing better than a cm a year. That was 11 years ago and no regrets. Just saved some anxiety.

I’d be interested to know if anyone has a, “I’m so glad I waited”, story? Pretty sure there a few who are sorry they waited, but can’t post their stories.

I really don’t understand what magic they’re waiting for once you cross 5cm. Seems like a game of chicken. “How close can we get without going over!?!” For what it’s worth, I had mine done at 4.9 but it was changing better than a cm a year. That was 11 years ago and no regrets. Just saved some anxiety.

I’d be interested to know if anyone has a, “I’m so glad I waited”, story? Pretty sure there a few who are sorry they waited, but can’t post their stories.
Thanks Superman, and yes the fact that it's not going to get better, I see your point completely. Already running into pockets of anxiety, especially in the middle of the night. My visit to the Cleveland clinic in Weston also gave me some more reassurance that I would be in good hands. Your input helps as well. Thanks again.

... The thought of open heart surgery is not an eay pill to swallow, but neither is the alternative ....
Surgery is awful, yet It’s life saving. All my life I knew I was going to need an OHS, yet when the time came
I collapsed ...wasted hours crying, feeling anxious, and worried until I had it done.
My point is this: right after the surgery, I regretted every moment and all the energy I wasted worrying and crying! So, Save your energy for good recovery. You’ll be very happy once it’s over. Best of luck.
Recently, my echo revealed widening of the aorta root! My cardio said it will take many years for deterioration to reach a point for surgery! I’m staying calm (as more wisdom comes with age 😀)! :)

It seems strange to me that at 5.0 they are waiting until your aneurysm grows another 0.1cm before recommending surgery. For what it's worth, the criteria is generally 5.5cm and at 6'0 you are larger than average and so may be at less than average risk for the aneurysm size. I had my root and ascending aorta replaced 7 years ago. It was not as difficult (for me) or as painful as my knee surgery. Don't push yourself too much when exercising and think of the surgery as something to look forward to. After that you will be fixed with little or no restrictions (after 2-3 months).

Latest posts

Back