Need some advice on this procedure. paravalvular leak

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtremlee

I have a mechanical valve and it has a leak around the outside of it. The Dr wants to "Plug" The leak in the valve. This is at UAB Birmingham. My cardiologist at the Cleveland Clinic did not eat to do this at this time. Im kinda confused as to what to do. Do it or don't do it. UAB said it would extend the life of the valve and make me less tired but Cleveland didn't think it was necessary at this time. Has anyone else had this done? Thanks.

I have no knowledge of your problem. However if Dr. A says yes and Dr. B says no, it's time for a third opinion. It's also good to tell Dr. A what Dr. B said. Good luck.

I have a mechanical valve and it has a leak around the outside of it. The Dr wants to "Plug" The leak in the valve. This is at UAB Birmingham. My cardiologist at the Cleveland Clinic did not eat to do this at this time. Im kinda confused as to what to do. Do it or don't do it. UAB said it would extend the life of the valve and make me less tired but Cleveland
Also no knowledge of your problem but a couple of follow-up questions for the benefit of others:

1) How do they plan to "plug" the leak? e.g. via cath, OHS surgery or some other means?

2) Did the Cleveland Clinic Dr. tell you why it doesn't need to get done now? Just watch and wait?

Cleveland Clinic is one of the best heart places there is so I would lean their way (although this Dr. could be wrong) but as tom in MO stated, I would get a 3rd opinion.

I have no knowledge of your problem. However if Dr. A says yes and Dr. B says no, it's time for a third opinion. It's also good to tell Dr. A what Dr. B said. Good luck.
I did tell Dr A what B said and he said Im not sure why they wouldn't fix it.

Also no knowledge of your problem but a couple of follow-up questions for the benefit of others:

1) How do they plan to "plug" the leak? e.g. via cath, OHS surgery or some other means?

2) Did the Cleveland Clinic Dr. tell you why it doesn't need to get done now? Just watch and wait?

Cleveland Clinic is one of the best heart places there is so I would lean their way (although this Dr. could be wrong) but as tom in MO stated, I would get a 3rd opinion.
Cleveland Clinic is one of the best heart Hospitals around. I love the hospital but the last time I was there I thought I had AFib, They did a ekg and then I went to see the cardiologist where they confirmed Afib. They send me to the part of the hospital that deals with the afib and the Dr said you don't have Afib. I told him the cardiologist said I did. He said its this medication they have you on causing the heart rhythm problem and to stop taking the medicine. I stopped and it stopped. So I have lost a little confidence in my cardiologist at Cleveland. A third opinion is not gonna happen Im lucky the insurance paid for both hospital visits.

Tough situation, has your cardio explained why they don’t feel it is necessary just yet to do anything?

FWIW I had my valve put in, in 2016, late 2017 they had identified a ‘moderate’ paravalvular leak and in October 2018 it was repaired via catheter. Leak is still there but ‘minor’.

My cardio didn’t even hesitate to repair it, his logic was that he didn’t want to ‘wait and see’ and would rather repair it now.

Tough situation, has your cardio explained why they don’t feel it is necessary just yet to do anything?

FWIW I had my valve put in, in 2016, late 2017 they had identified a ‘moderate’ paravalvular leak and in October 2018 it was repaired via catheter. Leak is still there but ‘minor’.

My cardio didn’t even hesitate to repair it, his logic was that he didn’t want to ‘wait and see’ and would rather repair it now.
Thanks for responding. Did you notice a difference after the repair? What was you overall experience with the repair? My Dr did a video call, which I didn't like, I had rather of had a face to face discussion. I have no idea what to expect.

Thanks for responding. Did you notice a difference after the repair? What was you overall experience with the repair? My Dr did a video call, which I didn't like, I had rather of had a face to face discussion. I have no idea what to expect.

No worries at all!

I don't recall noticing a 'huge' difference day to day, I was maybe a little less tired afterwards. That said, reducing a leak from 'moderate' to 'minor' (and reducing any complications that may occur with a leak) is an improvement.

The procedure was fine, I was under for a couple of hours which apparently was a little longer than what they had thought. It took longer as they originally put in one plug, but as it didn't 'fix' the leak enough they removed it and put in place 2 smaller plugs. I was kept in hospital overnight and discharged the next day.

Recovery was fine, nothing compared to open heart surgery. A bit of pain for a few days and walking was tough for a week or so (as they went up my groin, both sides), I was off work for 7 days and then returned the following week.

Yeah personally I prefer face to face too, in my line of work (and going through covid & lockdowns) I've had to embrace ZOOM/Teams etc but nothing beats talking with someone in the same room.

Latest posts

Back