Need for pacemaker post-AVR?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In an earlier post, I wrote about getting my pacemaker when my heart rate dropped into the high 30s. I was in and out of the hospital in about 6 hours when I got my pacemaker implanted.

My cardio set the pacer at 90 a few months ago - he said he'll set it back a few days later. He didn't. He told me that it would make my heart stronger. I don't know if that's true.

I don't think that I'm pacemaker dependent - it was turned off when I had a cardiac MRI, and I was fine with it.

---

There was a post about the 'big magnets' in the iPhone 13. Is this really a problem for pacemaker users?

Is this risk documented somewhere? (I have an iPhone 11 and no plans to upgrade, but the answer will be good to know).

Is this a problem with other new phones?

---

I may eventually get to talk to my cardio about the rate he set on my pacemaker.

I may return to cardiac rehab - I need it now, more than before.

Pacemakers shouldn't be feared. They keep some of us alive. They shouldn't be considered to be a sign of weakness. And, FWIW, they may help us go through airports a bit more quickly (although I haven't taken a plane since getting my pacemaker, so I don't really know).

My new cardiologist listed a pacemaker as a possibility. Still exploring testing gathering data. It will be 2 years in June since aortic valve was replaced.

I received a pacemaker this past Tuesday. Mine at least only kicks in when needed. I would not say my heart needs it to function but it was only able to generate the 40 BPM range when it needed to be 60+ and it was a wild ride lacking coordination between chambers. I had a history of left ventricular branch block. At one point recently there was total heart block.

The message I received was that just about everything is not the danger it once was regarding interference. You need to use the ear that is opposite the location of your pacemaker. The pacemaker needs a temporary adjustment before you can have an MRI. You should tell security at a boarding gate that you have a pacemaker so they use the handheld device instead of having you walk through the full body scanner. Close proximity to strong magnetic motors should be avoided.

I carry a portable jump for my car. I had it stored behind the driver's seat in my car. I moved it to the passenger side. I asked about that. The doc said it wasn't a danger. I use an electric handheld massager on my back. That wasn't a danger. I also use a small heating pad at night. That is not a danger.

Latest posts

Back