Need another aortic valve replacement after just four yrs

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ron Danahy

I had my aortic valve replacement done four years ago due to stinosis and regurgitation. With an ATS 3F

Now only four years down the road i have a moderate para valvular leek and savior stinosis.

Going through the work up for surgery now i have been diagnosed with Recurring Polychondritis.

Anyone else experience this combination of problems?

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

Hi Ron,

Sorry to hear that you have to go for a re-do. That must be hard to hear. I do know a number of members who have had 2 surgeries over a shorter period of time and will hopefully chime in to share their experience.

Hoping all goes well for you.

Very best wishes,

P.S. I am not familiar with the ATS 3F. Is that the sutureless valve? Will you be speaking to your surgeon as to the reasons for the early failure and valve choices?

Last edited:
The ATS is a stint less valve so far there has been no speculation for the early failure.
At age 52 now I am considering a mechanical valve this time around

I would be asking the surgeon the reason for the early failure. Good luck with your upcoming appt. with the surgeon. There are lots of members on this forum who have mechanical valves and will be able to answer any questions that you may.

All the very best,

The ATS is a stint less valve so far there has been no speculation for the early failure.
At age 52 now I am considering a mechanical valve this time around

Sorry to hear this. That is the horse valve right? Since it was only approved in the US a few years ago, there isnt much long term data as far as i know, there have only been a couple members here who have it and from what i rember one of them needed his replaced less than a year later, but his was leaking. I dont know why or where, meaning if it was the valve itself leaking, or stitches came loose or popped. If you search for horse or equine the threads should come up

I saw mention online of this being a sutureless valve. I imagine that could increase the risk of paravalvular leakage. Just looked it up in another window. The sutureless model is the 3F Enable, not all the 3Fs. Did you get this one, with the minimally invasive procedure?

No I had open heart and it is stint less not suture less I was diagnosed 25+ years ago with a dicuspid value. After surgery I was told it was a normal valve and savior stinosis made it appear bicupid

You just have to think positive. Maybe your heart is so powerful that it wears out lesser valves in no time. Once they get one in that can take the strain, you'll be unstoppable.

Sorry to hear about your early failure...if it were me I would go mechanical next time.
The only early failures of mechanical valves that I have read about here were due to endocardtius (SP?)
At the very least I would need a definite report on the early failure. I probably would go with a different surgeon, hospital and valve......of course that is my opinion...certainly not easy decisions whichever way you decide to go.

No I had open heart and it is stint less not suture less I was diagnosed 25+ years ago with a dicuspid value.

Hi Ron,
I am guessing the confusion re: stentless vs. sutureless is that when you google the ATS 3F enable bioprosthesis, it shows up as a being described as a 'sutureless' valve.

Is there another ATS 3 F that is stentless?

Here is an example of the word, sutureless being used to describe the ATS 3F in a journal article:

http://ejcts.oxfordjournals.org/content/40/3/749.long
Clinical experience with the ATS 3f Enable® Sutureless Bioprosthesis

Ron,

I am in the waiting room, being diagnosed last August BAV with aortic aneurysm 4.2-4-5. I am thinking about you and I am watching and listening to all your great questions and forum replys. I am really thinking about you right now.

Wow, very sorry to hear that...

I've just past my first year with a mechanical valve. So far the only downsides are needing warfarin (mechanicals are more prone to developing clots on the surfaces), and I can't sneak up on my children anymore as they can often hear me ticking! :eek:

After having the options explained to me, I chose the mechanical for the express purpose of not needing surgery again for 40-50 years (I'm only 44) - my surgeon has many cases who have gone 50+ years on the mechanical so far with no issues.

Over the past few months I have been finding more fatigue, weakness, shortness of breath - my cardiologist is doing thorough testing to find the cause. So far nothing has cropped up with the valve, however.

Back