Neck and Sholder Pain?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

Jeff H.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced neck and sholder pain. I have been walking around 4mi every morning and also in the evening, but by the time I get home my neck and sholder is killing me with pain. The only reason I still take the pain pills is for that reason, I can live with the chest and breathing. I was wondering if this is normal, because of the breast bone being ajar? Also I still haven't been able to sleep laying down. Three weeks on tue the tenth since my operation and still dosen't look like I will lay down for a few more days, only getting around 4hr sleep a day. Don't get me wrong, I'm doing very well I think and I haven't been overly tired, just wondering if anyone else has same problem.

Hi Jeff,

Remembering back, it took me several months before I could sleep on my stomach, and about 6 weeks before I felt comfortable sleeping on my side. One side was more comfrotable than the other. I think I read that the reason for that was the heart was held in place better, but I can't remember which side they said was best. Maybe someone here can recall.

As for the neck and shoulder pain, I did not experience that.

I did some arm front and side extensions with very light weights, 2 1/2 lb dumbells, then upped it to 5 then 10 lbs. That really helped me to stretch my sternum and I think helped my healing process. Even to this day, if I skip several days of doing that stretch, I feel a little sore in the sternum. As soon as I start those exercises again, I feel fine. Don't push the weights if you try this, it is primarily a shoulder exercise, and you do not need alot of weight to exercise the shoulders. Even though it is mainly a shoulder exercise, the chest area is a side benefit.

Rob

Pain

Pain

Hi

I did experience neck and shoulder pains.

Could not lie flat, etc. It was discovered that I had cardiac tamponade (fluid around the heart).

This is probably not your case....but if it does not get better I would have your cardiologist take a good listen. If there is fluid present they can hear a "rub".

Wishing you a speedy recovery,

Hi Jeff,
Three weeks huh? Don't worry about it.... I think I slept on my recliner couch for a couple of months... :>)..... I had trouble getting in and out of my bed because we have the head of the bed elevated six inches for my sinus problems.

You are walking 8 miles a day????? WOW!!!! I need to get back to walking, but my gardening has taken precedence!

Take care and keep us informed.

Zazzy

P.S. Did you get that virus taken care of?

Neck & shoulder pain

Neck & shoulder pain

Jeff, I had some left neck and shoulder pain...not bad, but annoying , and when I started driving, my left arm would go numb if I kept it up on the stearing wheel. That lasted for several months. Later when I had a bone scan to keep tabs on my cancer, I learned that two of my upper ribs on the left side were broken over by the shoulder. I finally healed and didn't think too much of it, although it doesn't do it anymore. I thought maybe it had something to do with the fact that was the side they took out the lymph nodes for the cancer?!

Good luck and best wishes, at four weeks you got a lot more healing to do.

The worst pain I had was in my neck, and the next worst was in my shoulders. These were what I took painkillers for - I didn't have any discomfort to speak of in my chest.

The neck got better first, after a week or so. The shoulders took some weeks.

I had it too...

I had it too...

Jeff,

Hi to my surgery buddy :)

I had some pretty severe neck pain and headaches last week. The cardiac nurse who called to check on me and I both decided that it was completely muscular and caused by sleeping in one position all night. If you can, try to find a way to sleep in your own bed on your side. I suggest surrounding yourself with pillows so that you can lie at a 45° angle between your back and side. You'll still be supported, but your neck won't suffer as much.

I still wake up at night to roll over, but I go right back to sleep. It might be worth a try!

Kristy W.

When I finally gingerly lay on my side, I leaned a bit toward the back and kept my 'up'arm lying on my up side so as to not cause any pressure where the sternum was supposed to be rejoining itself. Changing positions helps if you can manage it, but usually you will have to move again pretty soon. Your sternum has been 'mutilated' and it takes a good long time to get over the mutilation so you just have to hang in there, I guess. You'll always feel that place and find it 'ain't what it used to be'. As to neck/shoulder pain, could be just from trying to find a comfortable spot to put your body in for relaxation. If it doesn't get better, better call your dr.

Thank You All For Response:

Thank You All For Response:

Thanks to you all I guess I am getting a little impatient w/the recovery. I will take some of your suggestions and it seems like in some cases mine is not a bad as what some of you have experienced. I can feel the pain all the way from my neck to the back of my ears when I raise my hands in front of me. I think I will try working with the small weights, I think thats my only choice at this time. Besides complaining of course. Thank You , Jeff H.

P.S. Zazzy I did clear up the virus, do not know why Macafee did not catch it when it occured. Sorry.

Like you Jeff, I also am a bit disappointed with my recovery. I was an avid weight lifter for many years until I slowly but surely got too tired to put in the effort to go to a gym and work out. I still had no idea that it was the Aortic Valve.
I am now almost 11 months post-op and still cannot do hamstrings. The weight is pulling too much on my chest, and it doesn't feel good. For the rest I think I am doing okay. Just feel like belly aching at times, and this is the place to do it...LOL!

Latest posts

Back