My wife is back in the hospital

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Laura, it's interesting you say that .. I'll look for that post. Her cardiologist who met us that morning in the ER did mention that 20% of VR patients experience something called Dressler's Syndrome (sp?) which is a, as you said it, systemic response with fever and elevated white-blood-cell count that reflects no infection and is in fact a response to continued irritation in the heart and the sac around it. He said younger patients are more likely to experience it than older ones, since younger patients have immune systems that are more responsive in general.

Now, I would go for that with my wife's situation, but she did have throat pain and what seemed like fluish symptoms. Unless Dressler's includes cold or flu-like symptoms, I think she was fighting a bug and the doctors played it very conservatively.

She's now pretty much fine. The new level of Toporol (XL now, and 100 mg of it to boot) has her heart rate down in the low 80s, and her cold/flu cleared up. Mine is also almost gone now.

We're yearning for normalcy!!! :eek:

traig said:
She's now pretty much fine. The new level of Toporol (XL now, and 100 mg of it to boot) has her heart rate down in the low 80s, and her cold/flu cleared up. Mine is also almost gone now.

We're yearning for normalcy!!! :eek:

Good news!

Wow - what a handful

Wow - what a handful

I'm home from AVR surgery and I have a 6 year old daughter who is reasonably independent. I have a relative here to help when she's home. I feel overwhelmed with this situation, I can't even begin to imagine what you and your wife are coping with. Newborns are a 24/7 demand.

I find AVR recovery to be difficult, and as I recall, being a new mom was one of the hardest things I've ever done, physically and emotionally.

Call in whatever help you can get, put your pride aside (at least that's the hard part for me). And yes, being close to the babies is so soothing, absolutely.

I'm so glad your wife's out of the hospital, sounds like she has a good team looking after her - better to be careful than careless with her symptoms.

Take care,
Patty

Back