My valve turns double digit today.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JimL

Just a little background for the newbees on the tenth anniversary of my AVR. My surgery was a textbook case with full recovery, except for (1) the misdiagnosis beforehand. My congestive heart failure was misdiagnosed first as bronchitis and then as pneumonia (maybe a misdiagnosis is not that unusual). (2) The other unusual part was how close I was to not making it. The card who did the catheterization said that my valve was opening only a pinprick; the surgeon said it had closed. I think that means as much as turn off the lights, we’re too late with this one.
Ten years later I still haven’t gotten over the fact that I am never short of breath, since I had lived with that so long beforehand. I still can’t stop myself from walking way too fast in the big box stores—I sort of feel challenged to get wherever I’m going as fast as possible. I drive the same way, but that’s different. A few random thoughts.
- Nurses rule the hospital. Doctors think they do, and the nurses let them think that, but the nurses are really in charge. Therefore, if you need or want anything, you need to win over the nurse first.
- They have such wonderful drugs in the hospital to remove all pain, all anxiety, to make you forget.
- Changes since heart surgery: I now volunteer for the Red Cross blood drives about once a month. They don’t want my rat poison-laced blood, so I help other people give theirs. A couple years after surgery I started making wine and brewing beer. The beer is good, even though the wine has yet to make it out of the “I’ve had worse” category.
Thanks for nearly ten years of support from the good people here!

Jim - Good to hear that you're still pushing the envelope, and thank you for being there - yet another wonderful example to folks in The Waiting Room and for those of us just past surgery. Keep up the good work, and maybe by the 20th you'll have some nice vintage wine to celebrate.

What a nice update. Thanks, looking forward to reading your next valviversary and that the wine isn't too bad update

I chose McLaren in Flint, especially because it is easy for us to get to. Second choice would have been Beaumont in Royal Oak, but that's not a pleasant drive from up nort'.

Sorry I'm late with this Birthday greeting Jim. Hope you had lots fun, laughter, stuffed green peppers and cake on your special day.
Wishing the best and many more B-day's

Cool, I met with a surgeon at Beaumont, Royal Oak, but wasn't too impressed. Were you satisfied with your surgeon?

Yes, Dr. Jara did an excellent job. I'm not sure if he is still operating; then he was well known for minimal bedside manners, but excellent surgical skills.

Latest posts

Back