My Time has Come

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Denjun

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Tomorrow morning, Jun 29th I will be having my AVR surgery at UCLA. In September of 2020, my aortic valve went from mild regurgitation to sever in 6 months caused by Endocarditis. I am following the footsteps of so many of you. Special thanks to InsiderBiz and ChuckC for sharing their experiences with me privately. This journey reminded me of when I was 8-year-old (58 years ago). Some of you may related with similar experiences. As a young child I went to the public swimming pool where they had the low and high diving board. It took all summer to muster up the courage to climb the ladder to the high dive board. Boy, was I scared, really scared! My first attempt to jump off the high dive board wasn’t going to happen. As I climbed up the ladder rungs, I could feel my legs shaking and trembling. I stood up on the board grasping the railing handles as I nervously walked out to the edge, but I couldn’t do it. There were lots of people in the pool encouraging me to jump, I had to crawl back down. Scared to death. Later that same summer, I kept watching others heading up the ladder, walking the long plank and jumping off, I had to try again. By the end of that summer, I did try again. Still trembling as I looked down to the water and friends offering me encouragement. This was going to be a leap of faith for an 8-year-old. Little did I know, this set the scene for tomorrow’s leap of faith, 58 years later. All the research is now complete, all testing has been finished, consultations with Cardiologist and surgeons now behind me, this support group and words of encouragement, my wife’s wonderful support, have brought me to now, my time has come. I want to thank everyone on this forum for all the information provided to myself and my wife. Whether or not you know it, we both have spent many hours reading your stories. Hugs, Health and Happiness to all of you on your journey. Many thanks to those of you who have been so strong as to leave messages here on the forum. See you on the other side! Dennis

You're a story brought back memories. The local pool in my neighborhood growing up, actually still live in the neighborhood, had a standard dive and a high dive but about 10 years ago they remodeled it and the high dive is gone.
All the tests have been done, you've done your research and made your decision and you're in the hands of experts so I am sure things will go well. Best wishes. Looking forward to hearing your recovery story, just remember at least speaking for myself the first few weeks after getting out I felt better than I thought I would but mentally I felt like I would never be quite the same but that's not the case at all.

Last edited:
Tomorrow morning, Jun 29th I will be having my AVR surgery at UCLA. In September of 2020, my aortic valve went from mild regurgitation to sever in 6 months caused by Endocarditis. I am following the footsteps of so many of you. Special thanks to InsiderBiz and ChuckC for sharing their experiences with me privately. This journey reminded me of when I was 8-year-old (58 years ago). Some of you may related with similar experiences. As a young child I went to the public swimming pool where they had the low and high diving board. It took all summer to muster up the courage to climb the ladder to the high dive board. Boy, was I scared, really scared! My first attempt to jump off the high dive board wasn’t going to happen. As I climbed up the ladder rungs, I could feel my legs shaking and trembling. I stood up on the board grasping the railing handles as I nervously walked out to the edge, but I couldn’t do it. There were lots of people in the pool encouraging me to jump, I had to crawl back down. Scared to death. Later that same summer, I kept watching others heading up the ladder, walking the long plank and jumping off, I had to try again. By the end of that summer, I did try again. Still trembling as I looked down to the water and friends offering me encouragement. This was going to be a leap of faith for an 8-year-old. Little did I know, this set the scene for tomorrow’s leap of faith, 58 years later. All the research is now complete, all testing has been finished, consultations with Cardiologist and surgeons now behind me, this support group and words of encouragement, my wife’s wonderful support, have brought me to now, my time has come. I want to thank everyone on this forum for all the information provided to myself and my wife. Whether or not you know it, we both have spent many hours reading your stories. Hugs, Health and Happiness to all of you on your journey. Many thanks to those of you who have been so strong as to leave messages here on the forum. See you on the other side! Dennis
Beautifully written. Wishing you a Perfect 10 on your "dive"!

Great analogy Dennis!
Your diving board story brings back memories for me going off the high dive for the first time at West Valley College as a child, which they opened to the public in the summer.
I recall that when I popped my head out of the water after taking the first plunge thinking that it was not so bad. Similarly, this is not a cake walk you are facing, but it is certainly not as bad as we generally make it out to be in our minds.

I can't wait to hear your stories of recovery when you come out the other side and look forward to climbing Mt. Monserate with you!

Hello Dennis,
I want to wish you Godspeed on your surgery, a smooth recovery and to get to the other side with lots of joy and relief. Nelle

Sometimes we can not avoid waiting, and indeed may do ourselves harm by avoiding it too long.

Best wishes for the surgery outcomes, and wishing you an uneventful recovery

I had my AVR with Dr. Benharash at UCLA in January 2020. Everyone was excellent, and even the food was pretty good! I recommend the cajun fish and mashed potatoes. Looking forward to reading your updates!

Denjun - lovely article. Don't worry or fret. Your friends here are all here because they/we have made it through this hurdle with great success, and there is no reason you shouldn't do too! Strength and positivity, old chap!!!

Thank you to everyone posting positive notes on my surgery. Yep, I’m on the “other side“ and it sure feels good. I was one of the lucky AVR participant in that my operation did not require additional procedures. The mini-sternotomy was used and my bovine replacement was from Edward’s life science “Inspiris Resilia“. No major complications and I was (and still am) pain free. No belly flop on this leap of faith. Leading up to the surgery, you all could tell just how nervous and scared I was. It is wonderful to have a support group on this forum that have made the leap and are willing to encourage me and be by my side during this journey. UCLA hospital became home for 7 days. Just 3 days after my AVR, I was able to walk up to 4 miles (on July 3rd and 4th) all inside the 7th floor corridors. Still walking 3 to 4 miles a day and pain free. Truly happy about this miracle. Again, thanks to those of you who replied on my my time has come post. It really meant a lot to me and my wife. I’m proud and happy to be a part of the zipper club members. Best wishes to all, from the other side. Dennis

Thank you to everyone posting positive notes on my surgery. Yep, I’m on the “other side“ and it sure feels good. I was one of the lucky AVR participant in that my operation did not require additional procedures. The mini-sternotomy was used and my bovine replacement was from Edward’s life science “Inspiris Resilia“. No major complications and I was (and still am) pain free. No belly flop on this leap of faith. Leading up to the surgery, you all could tell just how nervous and scared I was. It is wonderful to have a support group on this forum that have made the leap and are willing to encourage me and be by my side during this journey. UCLA hospital became home for 7 days. Just 3 days after my AVR, I was able to walk up to 4 miles (on July 3rd and 4th) all inside the 7th floor corridors. Still walking 3 to 4 miles a day and pain free. Truly happy about this miracle. Again, thanks to those of you who replied on my my time has come post. It really meant a lot to me and my wife. I’m proud and happy to be a part of the zipper club members. Best wishes to all, from the other side. Dennis

Congratulations Dennis! Looking forward to climbing Mt Monserate with you soon!

Latest posts

Back