My Story. Aortic and mitral valve replacement

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hyp2r

Hi all.
2 weeks post operation having both my aortic and mitral valve replaced.
I have permanent a fib and always been very symptomatic, although now wonder if some of these symptoms were caused by my deteriorating valves.

Severe aortic stenosis was diagnosed just before Christmas by an echo and also moderate mitral regurgitation. Had a TEE which confirmed both and noted the mitral valve may only need repaired.
Met with the Surgeon and discussed valve types, as an engineer I was keen on a mechanical valve but once warfarin was mentioned I swung over to the Surgeons recommendation of a bovine tissue as I had a very difficult time with warfarin when I was first diagnosed with a fib. My INR was all over the place for a year or so.
Had the operation through full sternotomy and they decided to replace both valves as the mitral was worse than expected. Just as well I didn’t go mechanical as I’d have 2 valves ticking away to each other in afib language! Don’t know if I could handle that. Spent approx 18 hours in icu and then transferred to the ward. Had no problems and everybody including surgeons remarked on how well my body handled it. Released home after 5 days.

Feeling reasonably well now although very tired. Need a nap most afternoons.

Been walking through the day but for the past 4 days have developed a cramp type pain in my right calf muscle, this comes on after a few hundred metres and forces a return home. Been to my GP and he didn’t have any answers. It’s really hindering me.

Been really interested reading through threads throughout the forum, there’s a heap of great information there.

[QUOTE="Hyp2r, post: 904916, member: 17548]

Been really interested reading through threads throughout the forum, there’s a heap of great information there.
[/QUOTE]

Welcome, Hyp2r. There are several active forum members from your neck of the woods. This forum can help answer a lot of the questions and concerns you have. Ask away......you'll get answers from folks who have been there and done that😷

Hi and welcome

Been walking through the day but for the past 4 days have developed a cramp type pain in my right calf muscle, this comes on after a few hundred metres and forces a return home. Been to my GP and he didn’t have any answers. It’s really hindering me.

could be low on metals, have you considered taking a magnesium suppliment? I would recommend you try a low does chelated magnesium for a few weeks and see if that makes any difference (it might).

Best Wishes

Reactions: Eva
Thanks for your replies - I will try some magnesium tabs.

I should have added that I’m a 70 year old in pretty good shape for my age, always kept reasonably fit and do a lot of walking and mountain biking (although pretty tame stuff now). I wouldn’t call myself fit, but reasonable active.

Latest posts

Back