My sister got lucky...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nocturne

So my Lp(a) is North of 160 ng/dL, and I have two copies of a mutant allele that raises Lp(a) and the chances of developing AVS.

My mother is dead, but clearly carried a copy of the allele which she passed on to me.

My father has one copy of the bad allele (rs 104-something, “G” variant). His Lp(a) is 77 ng/dL. He is 67, well managed type 2 diabetes, no heart issues yet. His father had a stroke in his late 40s and died of a heart attack in his early 50s.

My kids of course each have a copy of the bad allele (at least). The oldest has a Caucasian mother and has yet to be tested. The younger three have the same SE Asian mother and their scores are 50, 100, and 50 ng/dL, respectively.

My sister finally got her lp(a) tested. She understood that she had a 75% chance of inheriting at least ONE copy of the bad allele from her parents.

Her lp(a) was 18 ng/dL, which she freaked out about because it was flagged as “high” on the test result, until I pointed out that with a number that low she could not possibly have inherited any copies of the bad allele, and that her kids were most likely fine as well.

1 in 4 chance.

DJM 18;n880042 said:
That's fantastic for her and her children !!!

Indeed it is.

She told me she felt "guilty" because it left me dealing with this all alone, and I told her it wasn't HER fault. I'm genuinely happy that she and her kids get to have normal lives.

Latest posts

Back